1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

!@#!$! Damn BSP errors!!

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by HollowPoint, Nov 9, 2000.

1. HollowPoint

HollowPoint TBuildT mapper

I had to delete a entire room because i had a Massive BSP hole in my map!
    Deleting the room solved the problem (this time..)
    A few tips..: (This works with my map)

1-Do not duplicate brushes..i always get massive BSP holes when i do that..
    2-If u have a hole..delete the object u have made the last time.
    3-Rebuilding kills some of the holes.
    4-When u have made something new..always check on BSP holes or u end up with a screwed level.
    5.And like Bastard 'O' said,: Save your map under different names..map 001, map 002 etc

---Mess with the Best...Die like the Rest---
    [​IMG]

2. Anon

Anon New Member

Was the BSP hole on the ground in your map....did you fall through it?

this happened to me before because i put an ADD inside another ADD. and i kept falling through the floor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

i dont think that i have had any problems duplicating brushes for whatever reason.

i have also found that turning off the BSP grid icons?? (or whatever they are (a square one and a round one?))saves a lot of hassle, as brushes always stay exactly where i put them.
    they seem to shift a little bit somtimes otherwise?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

3. [SOB]Weevil_Monkey

[SOB]Weevil_Monkey Monkey Maps

odd bsp too

i made a map for ctf,when you cross the bridge you jsjut dissapear, i stood back and shot rockets int odeaht spot and they woudl disapear

:D
    visit my website at
    <A HREF="http://weevilunrealed.homestead.com/main.html" TARGET="_blank">http://weevilunrealed.homestead.com/main.html</A>
    [​IMG]

4. TerOmen

TerOmen Member

Theres an anoying bsp hole in my map that's keeping me from releasing it. Not the hall of mirrors variety, more like "there's this big line ut don't want you crossing".

:(

5. JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy alive

you know, when i get some stupid ass bsp problems what i like to do is just moev things around a little bit. say youre subtracting a room inside an added one and it caused some bsp error. just move the subtracted one to the left a frame or something and the bsp MIGHT go away. this has worked for me on a few occasions. so before deleting rooms just try a few things first.

[​IMG]

6. Oden

Oden New Member

I have found that if you move around the brush you added/subtracted just before the bsp error occoured it will usually go away even if you move it right back into the exact same spot it was in just before the bsp errors started. Sometimes if you just add and subtract more brushes they will just go away. For instance on this map im working on now I have a bsp error that will disappear when I add/subtract one brush then when the next brush is added/subtracted it will return. Alternating from bsp error, no bsp error, everyother brush.

[​IMG]
    -Aspire or Expire-

7. bastard_o

bastard_o Lead Designer

B'stard'O's BSP tips :)

Switch to BSP View/Zoom View and have a close look at how your geometry has been cut by the BSP engine, If your visual anomaly is along one of more BSP cut lines you can try to move the BSP cuts by moving or better still just add/subtract something around that area.

I tend to ignore them now... until the point when I want to play test the level, then and only then do I get stuck into to fixing it or them.

Here are some other causes of BSP/Geomrtry/un-passable areas/death level errors.

Semi-Solid brushes mixed with solid brushes in an incorret way can cause death (drop-out-of-level) errors - Fix re-order or delete and redo or ...

Vertex editing if not done correctly can give you a Non-solid solid brush - Fix try again.

de-intersection can if you are unlucky give you a brush that has small gaps ie the polys just don't join. - Fix change something and try again.

Subtracts that don't align with eachother exactly, maybe you have scaled a brush a while ago and forgotten to re-scale (1,1,1) the brush looks ok but is in fact 0.232323 off the grid either way can give HOM's or XMAS tree lights effect. FIX REPLACE_BRUSH with a proper scale (1,1,1) brush the correct unit size. NO fractional measurements.

Hope that helps...

Bastard'O

8. funkstylz

funkstylz I CLEAN TEH LATRINE

I find that moving a relevant light source ever so slightly can fix this...had a few successes with this now.

Groove is in the heart...fool