1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

D3D OR OPENGL???

Discussion in 'Site Discussion / Suggestions' started by FRAMER[mama], Apr 10, 2000.

1. FRAMER[mama]

FRAMER[mama] New Member

i have a problem..i think to much[paranoia]..
    i can never work out which is the best setting for UT..D3D or OPENGL..so i am calling upon the experts advice..PLEASE PLEASE help me peeps and tell me which is the best one to use /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

2. FRAMER[mama]

FRAMER[mama] New Member

i have a geforce pro ddr aswell if that makes any difference on the choice /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

3. CaSCaDe

CaSCaDe gaem freak in 3 dimensions

if you use a geforce the best choise shoot be to run on openGL. this should work the best (if you have run the opengl setup)
    i find that opengl is one of the best setings for all games.
    but thats just my opinion!
    /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

[​IMG]
    THiS iS THe WoRD FRoM THE GReaT HeLL BRiNGeR

4. Kevorkian

Kevorkian New Member

Using a tnt2 with nvidia 514 drivers the UT opengl runs fine to me. a bit dark - no problem. The game looks better. In w98 some crashs, in 2000 run ok.

5. Wendy

Wendy New Member

D3D seems to run better than openGL on my GEforce. I've used openGL on some machines to get around compatibility problems.

[​IMG]
    You walk the thin line between glory and despair, soon you shall cross over it.
    (Anyone know what movie this was from?)

6. Wolf Blackstar

Wolf Blackstar That other Wing Commander guy

The biggest problem with OpenGL is that the drivers for most cards aren't that good.

You'll have to choose which settings are right for your particular card on case by case basis. As I don't have a GeForce card, I don't know which ones are better than others.

If OpenGL works for you without problems, use it. It(usually) is faster and looks nicer. Otherwise, D3D is the way to go.

[​IMG]
    -Wolf Blackstar

"A chainsaw! find some meat!"
    PuF: Bring on the pain!

Our hearts go out to Prophetus. God bless you, we wish you the best.