1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Custom Species

Discussion in 'General and Off Topic' started by Maxx, May 30, 2005.

1. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

Here is another small question by me *g* ok, 2 questions :)

1. Original Species Stats:
    I wasn`t able to find, what the species abilities are doing exactly. Does anybody know? I`m playing the species-stats mod, but no idea what it exactly does *lol*

2. Custom Species:
    And how can custom species be made?I suppose via an u-file, but opening an u-file for a custom species (for studying purposes of course) via notepad didn`t provide the desired infos.
    Can the tauntanims be chosen there? This is just a theory, but when looking at the SP-Highscore table you can see that the (human)chars can perform taunts, which can`t be chosen in normal game (eg: The egyptian dance for the human female)

THX in advance for the clues :)

2. LeGeNDaRy

LeGeNDaRy Bleed Black

All I know is that the Custom specs are made in you user.ini file.

3. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

well, that`s far more I know :)

4. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Hey MäxX :)

Your best best for this Q is the scripting and coding forums at BU. Species stats can basically make the Skaarj more agressive than the Humans but less capable of swimming. It does control some taunt definitions but the actual taunts are in the animation files. Also things like Aliens having green blood, what voice they use, what skeleton, etc. I could go on. The game's much better with them enabled otherwise they'd all play more equally (Imagine a muscular Skaarj having the same strength as an undead female (that kinda' thing)).

You'll find all the info about scripting, the UDE and sample scripts at http://udn.epicgames.com/

That's all I'm gonna' tell you ;)

5. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

Thanks for the tip, gonna check it out :D

6. Hide

Hide or Dr.Jekill

Specifically, these setup can be performed.

MaleVoice
    FemaleVoice
    GibGroup
    MaleRagSkelName
    FemaleRagSkelName
    FemaleSkeleton
    MaleSkeleton
    MaleSoundGroup (<-cries and sound effects)
    FemaleSoundGroup

AirControl
    GroundSpeed
    WaterSpeed
    JumpZ
    ReceivedDamageScaling
    DamageScaling
    AccelRate
    WalkingPct
    CrouchedPct
    DodgeSpeedFactor
    DodgeSpeedZ
    TauntAnims

You can open ".u" file by UnrealED's "Actor Class Browser".
    However, some of the properties does not appear.
    "WOTgrealExporter" is better.

7. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

wuha thx a lot, never thought that there was so much in it :D!

8. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

So here is the 2nd part of the answer, it just didn`t fit in the thread, so I cut it out ;)

I just want to ad a custom species, due I want also include the "egyptian" animated taunts to the mercs, that`s all :) on Highscore screen, I see always Fury making that Dance and I love it :D

So there should be 2 versions of upls for retail-version users? online and offline? OMG, but it`s ok. I already considered making 2 upls for the pack (due the character history support)

Maybe such a custom spcies has already been made?, would make things easier for me :D i must admit, coding is not my strongest point, but I`m improving, I`m improving :p

9. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

The main thing would be that the Mercs dont have all of those animations. So you would have to make some new animations for that to work, I think.

10. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Couldn't you just change the species=merc to species=egypt? in the upl or am I missing something - I believe they use the same skeletons and animations so there shouldn't be a problem ;)

[EDIT] I've just seen Brizz' post I'll go take a look at the anims :tup:

11. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

DBL post is quicker, yup I'm right as far as I can tell, they all use the same animations - they're just defined differently between species. If you change species=merc to species=egypt in the upl it should do what you want, MäxX

No harm in testing my theory anyway :D

12. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

That`s right, but the Team Idle of Mercs looks better than Team Idle of Egypts :)

You`re roght, all animations must be in both packs (due the chars perform them on highscore screen), but not all are chooseable!

Team Idle Merc Male - standing, making a cool pose
    Team Idle Egypt - sitting, Yoga Yoga Yoga Yoga

13. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Aah it goes to show how often I use the default bots ;)

There must be another way... Leave it with me and I'll think about it. You just want a species that is all merc with the egypt anims bar the team idle?

14. Sir_Brizz

Interesting! :)

You could do it with code, but then it would be a mutator.

15. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

At my knowledge that info is saved in the species, so I must give you a

*headnickingstart* Yup *headnickingstop*

would be great! Yap, I think there are 3 as far I remember(Team Taunt, Team Idle and Special) which are diffrent and should be included

thx in advance :2thumb:

16. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Just one other thing, what do you want me to call the species? *wonders*

@ Brizz yup it'd just be a custom species the way I'm doing it now but I'm sure there must be a way to change bots' abilities, etc via a mutator script too. Wait a mo, superbots for 2k3 - I never saw it - I wonder if that's what that was to an extent?

17. Sir_Brizz

Custom Species Stats. I haven't gotten around to writing a new GUI for 2k4, but the mutator worked fine in 2k4.

18. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Yup I've made two species on my more recent stuff and with those stats enabled they jump all over the place and taunt mid game and stuff, it's hilarious. Also, you get the opportunity to use all the anims for the skeleton (define them all) - As MäxX said only a couple are defined for the default species. What I'd love to see is a whole new animation set made by someone for the default skeletons that'd kick some serious @ss

19. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

Well I`m, not the species expert, I just can repeat (and believe) what the masters tell me :p

EDIT: New anims would definitaly rock :)

But some anims look really funny, eg the Neo Model using the MercFemaleTaunts *lol* I`ve always known that there is something messed up with him :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2005
  20. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Answer the q, MäxX and I'll do it now... What do you want to call your species? *still wonders* :lol: