UE3 - UDK Custom Player Input

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LegionofPhoenix

Aug 28, 2009
DISCLAIMER: I have read an uncountable amount of custom input forum post. I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. This is why I come to you, searching for help. This has also been posted on epic's forums with no reply thus far.

As if this hasn't been talked about enough, I'm here to discuss it some more.

Problem: I am trying to call a console event. So. When "toggleWorld" is typed in the console, then I stream in and out this level. But, instead of typing "ce toggleWorld". I want the user to press the "R" Key. So in kismet it will read.

Console Event "toggleWorld" >Output> Stream Level

It will recognize that "R" means "toggleWorld".

I have a compile error that seems to be common in other custom input threads that occupy the web.

Code:
Warning, Import failed for 'Bindings': property is config (Check to see if the property is listed in the DefaultProperties. It should only be listed in the specific .ini/.int file)

Here is my code.

There are many things inbetween this code. But they aren't necessary to the issue.

CUSTOM PLAYER CONTROLLER
Code:
class BWPlayerController extends UTPlayerController;
defaultproperties
{	

InputClass=Class'BWPlayerInput'
}

CUSTOM INPUT
Code:
class BWPlayerInput extends UTPlayerInput within BWPlayerController;

defaultproperties
{
   Bindings(59)=(Name="R",Command="toggleWorld")
}

CUSTOM GAME INFO
Code:
class BWGameInfo extends GameInfo;

DefaultProperties
{
	PlayerControllerClass=class'BW.BWPlayerController'
}

PatrickBlake

Dec 3, 2009
i currently have my R key binded to play a function aint tried it with kismet

what i had to do first was unbind the R key as it is used by the ut3 game, and then i rebinded it with my function name

i did this in my defaultinput config file..

[Configuration]
BasedOn=..\UTGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini

[Engine.PlayerInput]
-Bindings=(Name="R",Command="GBA_TriggerHero")
+Bindings=(Name="R",Command="Reload")

reload is the function i call from my script

hope this helps in some way

Dr Boo

Mar 14, 2010
i did this in my defaultinput config file..

Hey Patrick you mention you put this in your defaultinput config file. I am trying to do something similar and was wondering if you are overloading the defaultinput for your project or editing the original. There doesn't seem to be any turorials out there for this kind of thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PatrickBlake

Dec 3, 2009
sorry for long delay in reply, well basically what i have done here is edited my defaultinput.ini config file for my total conversion,

Last edited: