1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cumming out

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Polychron, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Polychron

Polychron Poliwrath

I waited so long for the new 28 nm GPU chips to come out this year. I was hoping to buy me a 28 nm based GPU for Christmas. But according to several hardware news sites this is definitely not going to happen this year. :( The manufacturer, namely TSMC, is still having problems with the new 28 nm process and because both, nVidia and AMD, will let manufacture their new 28 nm chips at TSMC, there is going to be huge delay.

It is very likely that the new 28 nm chips will only be widely available on the market in Q2 2012. So what what to do now? Buy old technology now in order to have entertaining holidays or WAIT even LONGER for the new 28 nm GPUs to arrive... if they are ever going to come out....

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

If you got the money, just wait. By then, the games you want ill be cheaper and you'll have a fancy ass graphics card, but you'll also pay out the bottom end of Hitlers anus for them too.

3. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Here I was going to congratulate Poly on his new found fondness of cock but alas I was disappoint

Anyway just buy a Radeon 6900 series or Geforce 500 series and be done with it. They have more than enough muscle for games out right now.

4. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swXr-LHPSQ[/m]

5. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

you spelled coming wrong.

6. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

+1

7. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

+1

8. lovebug

lovebug New Member

very disappointing thread...at least he didnt spell it 'cumming' out

9. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

as you just did :p

10. tomcat ha

tomcat ha Well-Known Member

well ati is supposed to release about a month from now, while new high end nvidia will take months still at least.

11. BillyBadAss

BillyBadAss Strong Cock of The North

+1

12. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

They're releasing their next chip and even calling it the Radeon 7000, but it isn't the new 28nm architecture, and is essentially a rebadged 6000 with dx 11.1 support. Nvidia is doing the same, and we won't be seeing the actual new cards until a few months into 2012.

13. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

I'd be happy finding the old 5850 card for cheap. They go for a crapton, I can get a new 6870 for cheaper.

14. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

This. My HD5850 1GB is pretty dated considering it's been out for a couple years now, but it still tears apart everything I throw at it with flying colors. I play everything at 1920x1080 with all sliders set to highest settings. I usually go with 2xAA/2xAF or 2xAA/4xAF.

In the vast majority of games I get 60fps steady with very occasional dips down to 50fps. Skyrim maxed holds 30-60fps (mostly on the latter end) quite well; in fact, the worst part of Skyrim was the intro sequence. After that it was smooth sailing as far as performance is concerned.

But yeah, this card was the best gaming money I've ever spent. I mean, shit, it runs Just Cause 2 with full settings and everything turned on (SSAO included) at 45-60fps.

With that said, the HD6800-HD6900 series cards are even more powerful and can probably be had much cheaper than the $280 I paid for my HD5850 when it was still 'new.'

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  15. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

Yep, the current gen of cards does a great job with just about anything. That being said, I'll probably upgrade when the new gen comes out (provided there aren't any major issues) for the fun of 3D gimmickry (which, even if AMD's 3D wasn't crap, would be too much for my 5850 to run with high settings).

16. Evill_Bob

Evill_Bob Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer

Annnnd... he beat me to it...

17. tomcat ha

if they have dx11.1 support then they are not rebadged or rebrands... assuming dx11.1 requires stuff on a hardware level and regardless all i heard pointed towards only a few rebranded laptop video chips.

18. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

I somehow missed this last time:

Why a 6670? Those cards are more on the low end than the midrange. I would have gone for at least a 68-something.

Here's an HD6870 for $190 (which is still pretty cheap for this kind of power.) If my HD5850 dies in the next six months I'd probably swap it for one of these.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161349

If I had a 3D TV, I would probably go with nVidia. ATi is all about Eyefinity (multi-screen gaming) in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  19. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

no space to add an additional extraction fan?

20. tomcat ha

85 degrees is not in the danger zone for a gfx card.