CTF-Dreary Released For UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Bazzwano, author of CTF-Safeguard for UT3, has released CTF Dreary (UT3), a rather awesome remake of the classic Unreal Tournament level. As you can see from the pics it's quite a looker, but the great news is that it's just as fun as ever.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
The screens really look promising, they do!
now let's hope the collision lives up to the expectations

Cryton

Loafing Bast
Nov 11, 1999
London, UK
www.fce2.eu
Nice looking map. I found the thunder to be anoying after about 5 minutes tho. The new lift just outside the flagroom, welp i'm not sure about that... and I find getting out the flagroom high to be too cramped. But kudos for the great looking conversion, hope to see it on a CTF server somewhere at sometime.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I find getting out the flagroom high to be too cramped.
I thought the same thing too, at first. I fired up the original just to compare the two. Its ceiling is also very low, just like this one. The big difference is that the UT version had kind of an invisible "step" that you could land on just about every time. UT3 has wall dodge and while it's a little tougher to pull off every time, it's a more elegant solution, making the whole thing a wash in my opinion.

Fordy

Jul 10, 2001
York, UK
www.planetunreal.com

Better a good remake than a bad original? Anyway, the classics always deserve remaking and this one is a perfect example of what a remake should be.

For me it captures the original gameplay perfectly and it's been brilliantly executed.

Only one tiny problem for me Bazz and I hope you don't think I'm being picky here. The glass has reflections of what seem to be a fairly cloudy but slightly sunny day yet the level seems to just have an overall gray cloud layer. That's the only fault that jumped out at me.

If you played and enjoyed the original as I did, this is must have map!

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Better a good remake than a bad original? Anyway, the classics always deserve remaking and this one is a perfect example of what a remake should be.

For me it captures the original gameplay perfectly and it's been brilliantly executed.

Only one tiny problem for me Bazz and I hope you don't think I'm being picky here. The glass has reflections of what seem to be a fairly cloudy but slightly sunny day yet the level seems to just have an overall gray cloud layer. That's the only fault that jumped out at me.

If you played and enjoyed the original as I did, this is must have map!

Thant means allot coming from you Fordy, thanks, In regards to the glass, I must say I never looked that close to the glass, It was the same used in deck, never thought to look at what it was reflecting. fair comment

But Im glad you like it though.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else also!. I know I when a bit crazy with the meshes, the pollys are quite high but I hope everyone who has UT3 will be able to play this.. I know that Allot of people who played safeguard did not like its tight interior, but I wanted the level to be like the Original UT feel not the huge Ut2004 feel. But I learned from safeguard, and did tried to not have supports sticking out in the main walk ways.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
I'm still wondering how you upped the frames from the beta by almost +10 to 15 frames... well i know some of it is cull distances, but i'm sure theirs something else.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com

Classics are in most cases defined by age, not by quality. If it was defined by quality doing a remake is an instant insult to the original. It's an insult because with the remake you're actually saying the original isn't good enough. Sure, there is the thing of the original not being playable in the current version.

But, my opinion remains: original designs > remakes

Being original is hard work, dammit! :mad:

So?

Last edited: