UT3 CTF-Atlantea

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
well, removing those sea spotlights with the water caustic effect seems to improve performance. double fps in areas and i noticed 4x in some areas i was getting very low before. performance is still poor overall though, so more work needs doing on the overall optimisation. im guessing adding some cull distance volumes and maybe going over the whole map and just removing certain things may well be the best way of fixing fps problems.

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
well, last time im posting regarding this. I did a last little play, and removed a couple of little things, and that improved performance yet again. but looking that the stats page as im running around, the main problem is static mesh tris. its much higher in areas than it should be according to that ut3 udn page. im no expert, but id guess that although your using around the limit in terms of amount of static meshes, static mesh tris is alot higher than acceptable, and in a couple of areas, nearly double, so im guessing its not the amount of meshes etc, but the amount of 'detailed' meshes in there. mixed with the lighting issues like the dynamic ones and the caustic water effects, i think the combination of it all is causing all the problems. i hope you can sort these things out and have a good play with it and try some of the things mentioned. at the moment, for me at around 5fps and thats without anyone else in there, its just not playable sadly.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
If you want I will take the map and do an optimization pass on the map and send it back to you. There are a lot of things you can do to optimize a level, Ive written tutorials on the subject. Dynamic lights were just one of the many things you could do to optimize the map.

-oMLeTTe-

May 20, 2004
Thats a great idea, shall I pm you the uncooked files then or is the downloadable one enough? :)

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
why cant the guy do the stuff himself ? no offence to anyone, but alot of hints and tips on what to do has already been given, not only by me. i especially spent a good hour today looking and trying to give advice on what to do. surely no one will learn if they can easily pass a map to someone else to fix ?

-oMLeTTe-

May 20, 2004
And as I pointed out a lot of time, I dont see what can be done.

I will not remove the caustic effect because that would remove the
unique look.

Culldistance volumes have 0 effect, and why would they? The only thing you can put the volumes over are the base, but they are occluded by the sm's anyway.
I did test this. I placed 2 gigantic culldistance volumes over the 2 bases which remove the sms at a distance of 8000. So if you were to stand in the middle, the volumes would remove all sm from the bases. Which resulted in the same fps as before, because occlusion already takes care of this....

And yes, the polygon count is about 800.000 in base and 6.000.000 in the middle.

I wont remove half the map just to make it playable.

Last edited:

-oMLeTTe-

May 20, 2004
Well, the staticmeshes disappeared in the editor when I was moving more then 8000 units away. I think they worked. :->

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
And as I pointed out a lot of time, I dont see what can be done.

I will not remove the caustic effect because that would remove the
unique look.

Culldistance volumes have 0 effect, and why would they? The only thing you can put the volumes over are the base, but they are occluded by the sm's anyway.
I did test this. I placed 2 gigantic culldistance volumes over the 2 bases which remove the sms at a distance of 8000. So if you were to stand in the middle, the volumes would remove all sm from the bases. Which resulted in the same fps as before, because occlusion already takes care of this....

And yes, the polygon count is about 800.000 in base and 6.000.000 in the middle.

I wont remove half the map just to make it playable.

i personally cant tell any difference just by removing some of the caustic effect. and all the hints i gave are directly from the udn site on what is the best ways of improving performance, sorry if its not working for you for whatever reasons.

according to that site it is recommended to keep below around 800,000 static mesh tris. on your map theres areas where they go over 1 million, and areas where it hits 1.5 million. i even touched 2 million in one particular 'view' in the map.

anyhow im sorry your stubborness and arrogance are stopping you from making the map playable. from what i can see, the only way you can improve performance is by starting to remove stuff, but if you cant see that and your stubborness to accept thats at fault, then you shouldnt be making multiplayer or any maps for that matter if you cant see that people arent going to be able to play the map. whats the point of a juddering showcase map ?

:rolleyes:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
well looking forward to trying a optimized version since this looks really sweet! goodluck in getting it more playable :)

and of course always super cool to see some more custom CTF maps! :2thumb:

Last edited:

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
sadly i wouldnt expect too much. it can only be optimised so far, but really needs a fair few changes and stuff pulling from it to move the fps up enough to make it playable.

winstonsmith

Feb 19, 2011
Was this ever updated?

Hey, I see I'm a few years late to this party.

Love this map but yes, it's almost unplayable, at times going down to 15 fps in the big rooms (and never getting above 55 for me). However, did you ever get a chance to optimize it?

If not, you should check out what this guy did, his name is Lord Porksword and he also had a visually intense level that he redid and it runs perfectly and yet looks the same. It was all under the hood stuff.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=615592