1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Creative Labs blackmails id Software

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by [Bean], Jul 28, 2004.

1. [Bean]

[Bean] [Insert Witty Title Here]

from http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=14459&forum=9

Creative apparently has a patent on a shadowing technique that appears to have some similiarity with id Software's soon-to-be-available DOOM3's shadowing technique (story). Now, without attempting to raise any controversy on this matter, this reporter thinks that software patents in general are a Bad Thing. It is a little suspicious that Creative posted about their technique on their company's developer forum first. To have later filed a patent and then challenge id Software is in this reporter's opinion inexcusable. This is tantamount to blackmailing game developers -- inventing a technique, talking about it before filing a patent that hasn't been published and then telling a game developer that there is some infringement is just unethical behaviour.

This reporter emailed id Software's John Carmack, touching a little on his "reverse shadowing" technique (info here and here) and the state of patenting in general before asking him for some comments on this Creative "agreement" with id Software. Here's what he had to say :

The patent situation well and truly sucks.

We were prepared to use a two-pass algorithm that gave equivalent results at a speed hit, but we negotiated the deal with Creative so that we were able to use the zfail method without having to actually pay any cash. It was tempting to take a stand and say that our products were never going to use any advanced Creative/3dlabs products because of their position on patenting gaming software algorithms, but that would only have hurt the users.

John Carmack

It appears that id Software "backed down" by resolving this quickly in order not to hurt the gaming industry (including gamers). For a company that is tied so closely with gaming, Creative's actions is just plain wrong. It would be awful to think that this matter is setting a precedent for others to follow Creative's behaviour.

Please, discuss... :(

2. SanitysEdge

SanitysEdge Aspiring Astrophysicist

Wow, I didnt realise creative was about to go bankrupt. (Since this is a technique practiced by failing companys *COUGH* sco *COUGH*)
    Bad move on creatives part, anyone know of a good alternitve sound card company?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  3. Cap'n Beeb

Cap'n Beeb Banned

Can't go wrong with Turtle Beach.

4. Ferd

Ferd «]§ß[»

5. rajput_warrior

rajput_warrior The World's Favorite Flak Monkey

i heard turtle beach is really good and wow creative, way to be gay, lost all of my respect

6. Predcaliber

Predcaliber One Day I'l Beat Lauke

I remebered It was discussed here on BUF wich soundcard is good, and they sure have one of the best soundcards according to other users :)

7. Machismo

Machismo Up The Irons

thid sucks hard :(. the only thing that means is a stifling of innovation. yeah einstein should have patended e=mc2 :p

8. Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal Anfractuous Aluminum

Who cares about having respect for them. All that matters is that the card is good. I don't care if Hitler made it as long as it's good. And there's not doubt that the Audigy 2 is a really good sound card.

9. Clayeth

Clayeth Classic

Wow, almost as bad as their drivers

10. Machismo

Machismo Up The Irons

i love this song :D

11. BITE_ME

BITE_ME Bye-Bye

I have the September Mag, of "PC Gamer" that has the world-excluive first review of DOOM3.

Quote:

PCG- "Much to Creative Lab's chagrin, Doom 3 should sound exactly the same (and perform equally well) on your motherboard's built-in audio processor as it will on a high-end Audigy 2 ZS sound card."

:lol: I think thats why their pissed.

12. DeeperShade

DeeperShade Banned

I unlike Tapey, do care about respect. Would you want to be taught by a respectable teacher or an unrespectable one?

Im certainly going to think twice before buying a creative product again.

13. ShadowKi][er

ShadowKi][er  

Where does Tapey come into this? Also I don't think you can compare choosing a soundcard to choosing a teacher.

Personally I'm glad I got rid of my Creative soundcard. Their drivers are worse than ATi's used to be.