UE3 - UDK Creating flashlight UDK

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
Hi
I'm following the tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F-HQ7icSTg
and did everything in the tutorial but my flashlight doesnt appear in the game. There's just complete darkness. A pic of my kismet and udk editor is attached.
How do I get the spotlight to appear and move with my player.

Attachments

• flashlight.jpg
    flashlight.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 53
  • kismet.jpg
    kismet.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 59

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Are you making sure that the light actor is near the player's origin point at the time of attaching? Are the lighting channels on the environment and the light actor set correctly?

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
The first picture I posted has the light actor on top of the player so yes they are close and the spotlight is on the wall if you look at the picture

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Just did a little test in UDK myself, using the March 2011 UDK. I made a similar setup as the tutorial video you linked to, using a SpotLightMovable with a few cone, range and brightness settings tweaked, and with Dynamic lighting channel turned on. Then I used the following setup:
flashlightk.jpg

I changed the Player Spawned event to be re-triggerable by changing the amount from 1 to 0. I then teleport the SpotLight to the player's location. Seeing as we don't want all players to be returned to us for the target I unflagged 'All Players'. Relative offset and relative rotation are not required for this to work. This setup works, albeit the light won't rotate up or down from where you angle it, as not defining an exact bone for it to attach to will attach it to the origin point of the player, which never rotates on the Z axis.

As an aside, just because the light actor is near the spawnpoint, it doesn't mean it's facing the same way as the player. The tutorial you linked to is fairly unreliable in the setup it uses.
Try teleporting the light to the player before attaching it. The test I did worked for it, so it should work for you. If it still doesn't, we will have to look at what you have set up wrong.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
Its still doesnt work. I followed your kismet and changed the max trigger count to 0. I posted a pic of my kismet. Btw the player is facing the spotlight's direction

Attachments

• kismetpic.jpg
    kismetpic.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 33

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
The only suggestion I could offer at this point is for me to have a look at your level setup. I cannot come up with a reason why you would not be able to get the same result from the exact same setup, which leads me to believe there is something interfering with the results. If you want, feel free to PM me a build of your level (uncooked, preferably) that I can check out to help figure out your problem. Also let me know what build of UDK you're using.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
I would PM you the build but I didnt see an attachment button.
Here is a uncooked build of the level
I'm using the March build
Also I get the message in the picture everytime I boot up udk and run on pc. Wondering if this is something I need to address.
And also is there something I can do so when i hit build it doesn't take forever to build. Like for example isn't there a setting that turns everything behind me on the map off till I look in that direction. Wouldnt that speed up build time?

Attachments

• MESSAGE.jpg
    MESSAGE.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 31
  • flashlight level.zip
    435.4 KB · Views: 32

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I will have a look at this for you when I get home from work.

Your ambiguous package warning just means that in the structure of files that your editor or game checks for content, there are 2 files with the same name. You should either rename one of the files mentioned in the warning, or get rid of the redundant one.

To help answer your last question, I need to know what part of the build is taking you forever.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
Ok it doesnt take forever but it'll finish building within 4 minutes. It just feels like forever. I was just hoping to find a solution that will make the build process faster.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Depending on the size of your level, that is entirely normal. Those things take time, so time your rebuilds with needing a toilet break, or getting a drink/refreshment. :)

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Took a look, and it appears to be a discrepancy between using the mobile editor and the regular editor. Perhaps this is not supported on mobile.

Additionally, never name your level something with a space in it, it breaks any references made to that level from the hierarchy/windows/game. If you need a space for separate words, use underscore instead.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
At this point I would say that using the mobile editor it is not very likely to happen. Only thing left to suggest is that you use Unrealscript to set that stuff up yourself.

OnyxEliteUK

Jun 14, 2011
Hi,

I appreciate that this thread is a little old by now but I may have a solution.

I was also following the same tutorial (having just got the link from this page) and found my SpotlightMoveable didn't appear (i.e. didn't light anything). I was pulling my hair out for half an hour toggling options and rebuilding and finally the option that made my light appear was turning off the CastStaticShadows option within the LightComponent.

No idea why this would happen but worth giving it a go on your own map.

Hope this helps :)