1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE2 - UT2kX Create Fog using a sprite emitter...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by maxdamage, Nov 3, 2017.

1. maxdamage

maxdamage Unreal Series Fan for life!

I have gone through all of the unreal wiki site,udn,etc... but I cannot find a proper tutorial to create fog using a sprite emitter.I need to create thick fog in a map port that uses fog to block out vast chasm....

Is there a tutorial that actually is usable so anyone can create fog using a sprite emitter as the one at the udn has been created already.Example Particle Systems.

Thanks.

2. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

I don't know of any other ones (the UnrealWiki may have had ones but it appears to be down right now...). I thought the UDN one for ground fog worked pretty well. Are you having problems with it, or with the fog in general?

I usually just go through the maps until I find one that has an emitter behavior I like, then open the map to see what the settings were...

Here is the "code" for a sprite emitter that I use in one of my maps to spawn fog clouds that blow in from a lake onto the shore. You should be able to copy this text below and then paste it in UEd (the emitter will be located at the level origin), then click the real time preview button to see the cloud puffs form and move
    Code:

Begin Map
    Begin Actor Class=Emitter Name=Emitter0
        Begin Object Class=SpriteEmitter Name=SpriteEmitter0
            FadeOut=True
            FadeIn=True
            SpinParticles=True
            UniformSize=True
            FadeOutStartTime=0.800000
            FadeInEndTime=0.200000
            CoordinateSystem=PTCS_Relative
            MaxParticles=25
            StartLocationRange=(Y=(Min=4000.000000,Max=-4000.000000),Z=(Max=128.000000))
            SpinsPerSecondRange=(X=(Min=0.002000,Max=0.005000))
            StartSizeRange=(X=(Min=300.000000,Max=500.000000))
            ParticlesPerSecond=1.000000
            InitialParticlesPerSecond=15.000000
            DrawStyle=PTDS_Brighten
            Texture=Texture'AW-2004Particles.Energy.CloudLightning'
            LifetimeRange=(Min=15.000000,Max=19.000000)
            StartVelocityRange=(X=(Min=250.000000,Max=350.000000))
        End Object
        Emitters(0)=SpriteEmitter'myLevel.SpriteEmitter0'

Level=LevelInfo'myLevel.LevelInfo0'
        Region=(Zone=ZoneInfo'myLevel.ZoneInfo0',iLeaf=107,ZoneNumber=1)
        Tag="Emitter"
        PhysicsVolume=DefaultPhysicsVolume'myLevel.DefaultPhysicsVolume19'
        Location=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0)
        Rotation=(Yaw=-19584)
        DrawScale=5.000000
        bDirectional=True
        bSelected=True
    End Actor
    Begin Surface
    End Surface
    End Map

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. maxdamage

I haven't downloaded the examples in the compressed archive given on the page.Hope it contains the fog sprite emitter and that Unrealed v3.0 can open the .unr file and contents.Here is a link to the archived copy of the Unreal wiki site: UnrealWiki. Can't really think of a map that I have downloaded that has fog in the first place.That is why I am asking here.

Will try that code.Thanks.

[edit] Tried that code and wow!Looks cool but I need the fog to not move at all.The only sprite emitter that I have made was the one from the unreal wiki site on how to create a falling snow sprite emitter in a map and that is all.

I have saved as many of the unreal wiki pages offline individually over the years... It has taken me forever to collect those webpages.I am busy fixing them up so they look and display properly offline.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  4. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

I have downloaded several dozen of the UnrealWiki pages along with the UDN2's pages (and also Psyonix's convenient page on importing UT2k4 vehicles) just like you to hopefully refer to as well, so long as I continue to mod this game.

Have you ever taken a look at this Emitter Reference site on the UDN2? This is definitely a webpage worth saving a copy of if you have not already done so. Take a look at the Velocity section of that page and you should be able to figure out what to change in the example emitter I posted (change the StartVelocityRange.x values to 0.0 for min and max, under the "velocity" subsection of the emitter's parameters).

5. maxdamage

@meowcat

Turns out I only have a fraction of unreal wiki pages saved offline.I have started to download each page manually from the working archived copy of the site but if it is missing any pics I can just remove the archive part of the image link I can get the image from the unreal wiki server as it is still working.Just the actual site is "offline" and cannot be accessed at all. I have that Emitter Reference Page saved from the UDN and I will try out the StartVelocityRange value changes to see what they do.

Thanks.