UE2 - UT2kX Crashing problems from packaging files into a .u

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Massacrer

May 3, 2014
Recently, I tried to use #exec OBJ LOAD FILE to package Animations, Textures, StaticMeshes, and Sounds files into one package and renamed the extension from .u to .ukx after it was compiled. However, after some time, many players on my server reported that they started having some frequent crashes with the following reason:

Code used to generate the combined package:

Code:
class AAR525Import extends Actor;

#exec LOAD OBJ FILE=..\Animations\AAR525_A.ukx Package=HZGAAR525_A
#exec LOAD OBJ FILE=..\Sounds\AAR525_S.uax Package=HZGAAR525_A
#exec LOAD OBJ FILE=..\StaticMeshes\AAR525_SM.usx Package=HZGAAR525_A
#exec LOAD OBJ FILE=..\Textures\AAR525_T.utx Package=HZGAAR525_A

defaultproperties
{
}

Code:
 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3508 MHz with 255MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3182)

General protection fault!

History: USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- FActorSceneNode::Render <- UShadowBitmapMaterial::Get <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetProjectorMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- RenderStaticMesh <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-KameHouse.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Kame House <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 726F6F6C 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Additional Information: The Notifys for each individual Anim in the .ukx file are not cleared and replaced after the package was compiled. Instead, only the sound and texture files that are referenced in the animations and staticmeshes are changed to refer to the combined package.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of the crash? I have asked some of the best coders from the Killing Floor community and they are stumped. Perhaps Wormbo would have an idea?

Last edited:

forrestmark9

Aug 6, 2009
Recently, I tried to use #exec OBJ LOAD FILE to package Animations, Textures, StaticMeshes, and Sounds files into one package and renamed the extension from .u to .ukx after it was compiled. However, after some time, many players on my server reported that they started having some frequent crashes with the following reason:

Code used to generate the combined package:

Additional Information: The Notifys for each individual Anim in the .ukx file are not cleared and replaced after the package was compiled. Instead, only the sound and texture files that are referenced in the animations and staticmeshes are changed to refer to the combined package.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of the crash? I have asked some of the best coders from the Killing Floor community and they are stumped. Perhaps Wormbo would have an idea?

Hmm after reading that crash over I see this "UShadowBitmapMaterial::Get<-FD3D9RenderInterface::SetProjectorMaterial<- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- RenderStaticMesh"

It seems to be trying to make a projector material for a shadow on a static mesh

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
What's with the spoilers?

Anyway: Putting packages into other packages does not change the references of those other packages. I suppose those .ukx and .usx packages will use textures from that .utx package. Your resulting .u package will also reference the external .utx package, then.

The only proper way to put all resources into a single package is to not have external references in the imported package in the first place. Rename the resources in UnrealEd to move them into a single package, then save it on one of the browsers.

Massacrer

May 3, 2014

Anyway: Putting packages into other packages does not change the references of those other packages. I suppose those .ukx and .usx packages will use textures from that .utx package. Your resulting .u package will also reference the external .utx package, then.

The only proper way to put all resources into a single package is to not have external references in the imported package in the first place. Rename the resources in UnrealEd to move them into a single package, then save it on one of the browsers.

I thought the spoilers would hide the code and make the post size smaller on the screen.

Last edited:

Massacrer

May 3, 2014

Wormbo, can you elaborate the part about renaming the resources in UnrealEd to move them into a single package and saving it in a browser? From what I understand from reading this, it would mean that I would have to rename all of the associated files in the .utx, .usx, .uax, and .ukx using the Rename command in the menu all at once in order to actually combine the package.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You understood that correctly, I think. Don't say "files" when you mean stuff like textures or meshes inside a package. A package is not an archive file like ZIP, but a special file format.

Massacrer

May 3, 2014
You understood that correctly, I think. Don't say "files" when you mean stuff like textures or meshes inside a package. A package is not an archive file like ZIP, but a special file format.

Well, at least I should thank you for your confirmation of my worst fears, as this is gonna be a painful process to convert everything again, not to mention that the notifys in the animations would have to be changed as well.... *sigh*

Massacrer

May 3, 2014

Just a question, Wormbo. After renaming everything and transferring it to another package (under another name), the notifies reference the old package. If I clear the notifies, change the name of the package, and then paste the notifications from the old notifies into the package, would there still be a crashing problem?

Massacrer

May 3, 2014
You will have to try that. I don't think I ever renamed a model without also setting up (sound) notifies from scratch, but for other reasons.

Okay, so my current process with the renaming method is:

• Rename everything, including all sounds, textures, staticmeshes, and animations into one file name.
  • Print screen the notifies in the new package.
  • Remove the original package, which leaves the notifies in the new package that are linked to the original package, to become blank.
  • Remake the notifies.

Would this, in your opinion, cause the crash as detailed in the first post?