1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Coronas. Blending attributes from lights and meshes to form perfect corona lights. Possible?

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by Kris, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Kris

Kris New Member

A problems with lights vs UTFlares.

Hi folks, I've been mapping since about 2002, but just recently I decided to improve one of my old maps because, well, why not?

But there's a problem that's bugging me massively: Lights have their merits and flaws, as do UTFlares, but I need attributes/properties from them both to get what I need.

Let me explain: In UnrealEd 2.0, if you put a corona light and a UTFlare (and change the flare's texture to a corona), rebuild the map and set to D3D render mode (to see the coronas),.. If you move the [editor's] camera further away from the two types of coronas, they behave differently to each other:

1). The corona on the corona light stays the same size regardless of how close to it you are. This is good.
    2). The corona on the UTFlare gets smaller the further away you get from it.This is not good.

However, the coronas on the corona lights have flaws:

1). They don't always show up, despite setting the Radii to max (255). There seems to be no cause as to why they do and don't show. This is annoying.
    2). You cannot use animated textures to make the coronas fade, pulse or blink etc. This is bad.

I need the coronas (whether on the UTFlares or corona lights) to:

1). Stay the same size regardless of where a player is in the map. *UTFlares/meshes do not do this, annoyingly.
    2). Show up at ALL times (unless of course behind some BSP/solid brushes). UTFlares Do.
    3). I need some that animate, (pulse on & off). I have already got the animations done, I just need the lights to animate, which currently they refuse to. However, UTFlares do this beautifully.

Here's my question:

Does anyone know what unique changeable/editable property it is that makes coronas on lights keep the same size (relative to the screen/monitor) reg' of distance - AND - what it is about lights that prevents them from accepting animated textures - AND - what is it about UTFlares (or any other mesh for that matter), that WILL allow me to use animated coronas?

I'd like to have [lights with] coronas that can be animated, coronas that can also be seen (at all times) from anywhere in the map and coronas that keep to the same size relative to a player's screen regardless of where a player is in the map.

Any know-fact ideas please how I can combine the GOOD attributes into one useful light or mesh to give me what I need?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018