Constant packet loss (websites not loading, games lagging, etc.)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
I've recently noticed increased connecton problems on my broadband connection. Been working fine for a few months but this week I've experienced extensive loading times for websites. Often my games lag out and get me kicked from servers too.

I did some command line pinging and trace routing and noticed a constant +25% packet loss. Pings seem about as they should be (around 50ms around Europe and something over 120ms to the Americas), with some exceptions now and then.

Certain servers/websites can't be connected at all (my city's website for instance seems to give 100% packet loss, although the server resides here geographically).

My ISP's IP when pinging reports "Destination net unreachable". Not certain what this means but can't be good? Packet loss to same IP goes around 25-75%.

I'm on a 8Mb/s broadband connection at the moment, with a normal PC -> router -> internet setting. Only changes to router settings include encryption. On my computer I run Comodo Firewall and Avast Antivirus. No other network effecting software is not enabled as far as I know.

I'm hoping it just is something temporary, but two days of waiting for all websites to load for 30-60 seconds just isn't fun anymore. :|

Tdromg

Nov 5, 2010
I'm seeing the same thing happening here, ( in america)
3 to 4 weeks ago I could play COD2 MW and find games with pings around 90 to 100, now I can only find games with pings around 130 to 140. (could be internet, could be my ISP or me)
that said,

try these.
1) disable the AV and see if that is causing any lag, I've had Norton AV in the past and they sent updates that would drag my system down till they fixed it.

2) disable the encryption, this take time to do but is the routers logic is good the delay should not be noticable.

3) bypass the router or try a good know route( borrow a friends), it could be faultly, (a friend of my was going thru a room mates route and getting major lag. replaced it with his, great improvement )

4) try a new NIC, again bad NIC can cause pack errors. my gaming server appears to have this issue, but it could be lag on the internet.

5) benchmark the traceroute numbers to see where the lag might be. I'm seeing the same lag here, I wish I had saved the number from the test I did a months ago, then I would have a baseline to go by.

6) disable the wireless part of your router, someone could be on your router by error or by choice, and if your using wireless to play convert to hardwire, that would be one major issue.

7) try new cables, again can cause pack errors.

8) verify nothing else is running on your system, rootkit virus, etc.
(google tcpview (from sysinternals) now owned by MicroSoft)

9) defrag your HD and unload pgms that are not needed for your gaming,
(AOL messanger, etc. again updates from these could add overhead not seen before the update), check to see if there are pgm using more CPU time then normal.

I may sound like I know what I doing, but what do you expect from a DBA.

Hope this helps.
Tim.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
Packet loss is most likely not on your side (unless we're talking about really terrible hardware/software), so you should just phone your ISP. See if any of your neighbours have the problem as well.

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Hardware is new (about a year or two old), and I installed my Windows 7 about a month ago (was running XP before).

My router has been provided by out ISP and it's the only working one I have. I've been looking for a cheap router to test with it to eliminate a router being the culprit. I've also looked for a new network PCI card to check it too.

My girlfriends laptop (WLAN connected) is getting slowdowns and disconnections too so it should not relate to a cable, but I'm trying the cord which connects the router to the wall.

I've had a few okay days every now and then, with minor lags and disconnections (normal in my eyes), but then I get a few days of bad connectivity overall.

Recently websites load partly (with graphics missing and layouts exploding, even on lighter sites), isn't this a good example of major packet loss?

Can a virtual machine (Linux inside Windows) create slowdowns of this kind if connected?

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
I got this one 4 months ago (via mail from my ISP though) so I can hardly imagine it already breaking... :/

EDIT: anyone know free software to see exactly what and who is connected to my router? I can't get that data from my router. And I heard the Windows 7's own "network" view doesn't display if someone knows how to hide their machine... :/

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Connect to your routers control panel via web browser. It's most likely 192.168.1.1

You should have all the info you need there.

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Yes, it should, but doesn't. :D

All I get is the routers MAC address and some error value fields which make no sense to me. And some configuration options for 3G and ADSL connection type (DHCP, etc.). I can't even change the WLAN encryption settings without emailing my ISP who then send the settings via internet to the router. :D

Too tight on money to get a better router right now (I left the old good one at my parents' apartment). It allowed me to change everything I wanted and more. :(

I guess Elisa's Kotiboksi is a quite unknown router besides Finland so you wouldn't know about it. :p

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
Does it run on 12v?
wtf does a router need 12v for other than burning up capacitors?
Is it a linksys?
Cisco isn't really in the consumer grade networking market