Constant disk chatter on Vista

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
As soon as I turn on the PC Vista seems to constantly access the hard drive with a regular plom-plom-plom. It's pretty annoying as the computer is otherwise silent.

I've tried to turn off some obvious suspects. There's the indexing service, the drive shadowing (for restores) and the task scheduler. However, I'm still getting accesses when those are off.

P.S: This so reminds me of that annoying indexer that came with Office 97 :rolleyes:.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Leave the index services on, they speed up app launches. Once Vista indexes you should have normal drive access, no more. Did you leave the pc run for at least a few hours (overnight) after installing? i cannot stress enough how much better this will make your install

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There is something called Superfetch I think that is probably causing this. Look in the latest Vista TweakGuide. It talks about it on one of the last pages.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
There is something called Superfetch I think that is probably causing this. Look in the latest Vista TweakGuide. It talks about it on one of the last pages.

A lot of the topics I've found mention superfetch. I'll do some research on what it does and check out this vista tweakguide of yours if it's a site.

Leave the index services on, they speed up app launches. Once Vista indexes you should have normal drive access, no more. Did you leave the pc run for at least a few hours (overnight) after installing? i cannot stress enough how much better this will make your install

I'll do that. I have left the PC on for a few hours since I installed Vista but the chatter seems regular. While visiting my mom even tapped on the case a few times (eeek, my new computer) as it can be quite annoying.

I just wish Microsoft would put some effort into explaining new "features" instead of leaving users in the dark. For all I know my hard drives might have the click of death syndrome or something.

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
IMO, leave things alone unless you prefer to slow down your system.

Once Vista has built your index & Superfetch has figured our your behavior, you hear very little HDD use, & things are nice n snappy.