1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Configuring new computer.

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Hunter91, Jan 2, 2006.

1. malaymishra123

malaymishra123 New Member

i agree with these guys totally, wait before u buy the new machine....

but go for amd rather than intel

2. Ma3a*

Ma3a* Null-Technology

However, intel has mostly Faster Bus Speed

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  3. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

1) FX technology is not a technology, it's a badge given to their top performers so rich people know what to look for
    2) Intel chips do not have a 'faster' bus they have a bus that operates at higher frequencies at the cost of higher latencies.

There's a reason AMD are only moving to ddr2(3..4) this year and that's because the technology is not worthy enough of a change from good ole ddr yet.

400MHz at Cas2 etc etc is better than 1000MHz at cas5 etc etc.

The p4 architecture got it's strength from clock activity, not good processing, AMD got it's strength from having great chip designs. Intel could only keep that up by having better manufacturing processes to produce smaller chips that clock faster, and they still failed to provide adequate competition for AMD who recently took the prize for the most expensive desktop chip due to their dominating performance.

Bottom line is that if you want to upgrade for 2k7, wait for the demo.

4. Vance

Vance New Member

5. Ma3a*

Ma3a* Null-Technology

lmao

6. louis373

louis373 New Member

7. louis373

louis373 New Member

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN!!! OMG!!! OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE POWER OF GEFORCE 7800 GTX YET MY FRIEND. i got the same card with 3.4GHz processor and 1GB of RAM. no game needs more then 512MB of RAM. (PS3 will be using 512mb RAM). >>>>>>It will run like H.E.L.L!<<<<<< IF YOU GOT MONEY TO THROW, BUY A BETTER DUAL CORE PROCESSOR

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  8. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Battlefield 2 does take advantage of more than even 1GB of RAM. Tom's Hardware did a decent comparison, and although there was only a 3-4fps difference in the average framerate, with 512MB it had some large drops (below 20fps) when it started using swap space. I imagine UT2007 and any future games will suffer from the same problem.

9. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Village Idiot

Apparently you haven't played Battlefield 2 or FEAR (which happens to bring even a 7800GTX SLI setup to its KNEES if you pump up the settings...)

I doubt UT2007 will run without hitching on max settings with only a gig of RAM... unless you were talking about graphics RAM...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  10. Draco73

Draco73 New Member

people like this give me my humor for the day LOL :lol:

11. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

you sir are a jackass with nothing to offer the world.

Go find a nice large bridge and jump off of it.

12. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Village Idiot

Bit harsh don't you think?...

13. pwnghetti & leetballs

pwnghetti & leetballs Barnacle Blitzkrieg!

BF2's main resource is the RAM, not so much the video card. I'm running everything on max detail with a 6800 GT and it runs VERY smooth.

The problems start when you only have 1GB of RAM and expect to run BF2 at max detail. I used to do this, and the game would stutter like crazy while textures were loaded from the hard drive during gameplay, especially when the map first loaded.

Upgraded to 2GB of RAM and the problem was instantly fixed. No more stutter/periodic freezes even after the map first loads. :D

FEAR too runs well at max settings on a 6800 GT, the only times when it bogs down is during those crazy realistic looking scenes, for example when you crawl through the vent and see the big fan with light rays shining through it and the real time shadows are being projected and animated on the floor/walls. Otherwise it runs suprisingly smooth.

So I don't know what you are talking about when you say "It will bring SLI 7800GTX to it's knees", unless you are talking about resolutions like 1600x1200, with full anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

14. Mr. UglyPants

Mr. UglyPants 2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

stupid question but how does anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering work and why does it create poor preformance?

15. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Village Idiot

Exactly what I meant, I was talking about the RAM problems... guess that didn't come across too well in my post.

I AM talking about 1600x1200 and 2048x1536. After spending $400-500 per graphics card I expect to be able to run those resolutions... with AA and AF. FEAR is just a blatantly unoptimized game - BF2 for instance runs fine at those settings... even on my single 7800.

As for FEAR running well at max settings on a 6800GT... I can't imagine that on any resolution above 1024x768, or even with soft shadows enabled, for that matter. Even my 7800 can't quite provide playable framerates at 1280x960 if everything's maxed out (no AA or AF though)...

16. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Antialiasing reduces the jagged edges of the image by effectively rendering at a greater resolution than the display and taking an average when sizing it down. This is supersampling - modern cards use slightly different techniques (multisampling, fragment antialisaing etc.) but with the same general idea.

Anisotropic filtering increases the sharpness of faraway textures. I'm not 100% sure how this works - something about taking multiple samples of the textures.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  17. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

depends on what settings you are used too.

FEAR certainly brings most rigs to their knees.
    Fear is not a terribly unoptimised game, it just has so much in it that it appears like that, the mipmaps are much more detailed than any other game I have ever seen, the bullet time effects are incredible and the sheer volume of particles a graphics card is rendering at this point along with the complex shaders is what brings a card to its knees.

Nearly all ssingle graphics card systems struggle to stay over 60fps in FEAR even at resolutions like 12801024. I have a 60Hz lcd monitor, so I want 60fps. People with CRT monitors with high refresh rates or around 100Hz are going to want that many frames a second else it doesnt look as good.

No not really. Its people who do no research into there posts and post garbage like that, in capitals have no respect in my opinion.

pretty much what crowse says.
    but I'd like to add to his AA explanation.
    The areas outside the jaggy lines are faded into the jaggy, likea gradient. This link explains it in more detail. here
    nice anistropic filtering link here

18. Fracture

Fracture New Member

I would use a machine with less than a gig of RAM, I mean you will use this machine for more than UT right?

19. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

I played UT2004 with my current settings (not all that high) with only one of my 512 sticks once on Rankin and RAM usage was at 98%. This is UT2004 we're talking about on a map with hardly anything in it. Don't tell me you're not gonna need at least a gig for future games. :rolleyes:

20. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Village Idiot

Ummm... think more in the area of 2 gigs for any new gaming rigs...