1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Configuring FreeBSD (Or Linux) networking

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Thrash123, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Thrash123

Thrash123 Obey Leash Laws

Ok, I have been using FreeBSD and various Linuxes for desktop work and such. However, I have been doing so either without 'net access, or through a small LAN I set up at home using an XP machine to dial my 'net connection for me.

Well, now that I'm back at college and we finally have ethernet-based 'net access, I want to switch away from Windows (after I just recently had a crash thanks to the Win2k partition manager..) and start using FreeBSD again for desktop stuff.

Well, I'm not really sure what to do. I used Mandrake 9.1 before, which pretty much requires no effort. I hate Mandrake though, and it doesn't seem to like my hardware in this machine now for some odd reason. The college provides no configuration info, since Windows automatically detects all the network settings.

So, what info do I need to request from them? And how do I set it up?