Configuring "fallback" default character for online play

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
I would love if you could choose what default character other people see when they don't have the the custom skin/model you might be using. In UT2004 this would stop making people see Jakobs all the time, and let them see everyones "secondary skin preference".

This would let me choose a custom character and not be annoyed that some people would see me as that damned Jakob.

What do you think?

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Yes plz kthx, I hate not being able to use a custom skin when I know I'm gonna look like Jakob (considered "noob") to everyone else, so then I have to end up using one of the default characters.

Last edited:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
I personally believe this should be a mandatory part of the game. This would in order to avoid the servers FULL of Gorge's, but still allow others to have custom or forced skins.

Persefone

Ms God!
Jun 2, 2005
We should be able to see the skins and models we have in our computers, regardless which lazy admins have in their servers.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Persefone said:
We should be able to see the skins and models we have in our computers, regardless which lazy admins have in their servers.

Isn't that how it is now?

Yeah, I agree though, this is something I've always wanted to see as well. Not only to prevent from seeing a bunch of one model everywhere, but to prevent from seeing a particularly dark model all the time.

I've also thought the ability to force against individual models would be cool, or simply change the fall backmodel you see on everyone else.

Though I feel I've heard that is possible now too... Does anyone know how to make it so gorge is the default fallback model and not jakob?

(might search for it later if no one hear knows off the top of their head)

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
I would love to see this. I would so make my fall back model Divisor, at least she looks better than Jakob or Gorge.

Mina_Hew

Aug 24, 2005
I personally submitted this suggestion to epic a while back... as well as many other things and I was very promptly ignored... really fallback features for lack of models and medias should be very very very standard for most of anything especially when there is a lot of highly encouraged modding :mad: I very very very highly doubt this feature will show itself in UT2k7... but cross your fingers BITCH WHINE AND COMPLAIN everyone looks like so and so and it might show up in a patch :lol:

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
Sure why not. I don't understand what the big deal is though ^^ Why do people even bother thinking about what character other players see you as in the game? I will never understand that :) But as long as you can force a defualt character then people can pick whatever custom character and fallback character they want ;)

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Nosnos said:
Sure why not. I don't understand what the big deal is though ^^ Why do people even bother thinking about what character other players see you as in the game? I will never understand that :) But as long as you can force a defualt character then people can pick whatever custom character and fallback character they want ;)

I think the point is so players can play a normal game without it being ruined by seeing the same player on everyone. I would rather see 10< different models for players with models/skins I don't have, than only see the normal default.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
This would be nice. I am kind of tired of jacob. This way I could keep from forcing mekkor or something for everyone just because I don't like 4 jacobs. It might be a little overboard, but I guess I could suggest making a force model for each player slot. So everytime you play you can differentiate between players. I hate it when there is some total noob on the other team, and a total pro, and they both have the same skin. I go in thinking i'm going to pwn some noobage and get headshot :D . Having default models or forced models won't solve this problem, I would just like some better player identity for my own needs. So, maybe being able to have a menu screen that has the model field for 8 player slots, or whatever teh max for the game will be, and set individual models for each slot. I know I could just have the show player names above head thing, but I don't like how cluttered that makes my view.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Well, I think the ability to customize each players model from you side would be a bit much, but I know what you mean. I ID people by model, and treat them way differently accordingly. Force is hardly an option the way I play.

Yeah, I believe UT adopted the HL method of custom skins in that if you have the skins on both clients, and each use them they will see them regardless of their presence on the server.

In conjunction with fall back model, though, I'd also feel there should be a replace model funtion... like if there is a particular model that is harder to see, or if too many people don't set fall back model, and you get sick of seeing another model repeated a thousand time, you can set it yourself.

I'd love to be able to do that right now. Set abbadon to always appear as widowmaker... and jakob as arclite.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The first thing to do is to make sure new players can use this feature without having to hack the config-files.

I'd rather have the 'fallback'-model be determined by the modeller instead of players. That way you won't revert to a fat male model if your custom model is a skinny female. Heck, perhaps custom-models can follow a fixed hierarchy so designers can literally mod a model instead of reinventing the wheel just to add a different head to one of the default models ...

Also custom skins should revert to the model the skin was designed for by default instead of reverting to a completely different model like 'Gorge/Jakob'.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
JaFO said:
The first thing to do is to make sure new players can use this feature without having to hack the config-files.

I'd rather have the 'fallback'-model be determined by the modeller instead of players. That way you won't revert to a fat male model if your custom model is a skinny female. Heck, perhaps custom-models can follow a fixed hierarchy so designers can literally mod a model instead of reinventing the wheel just to add a different head to one of the default models ...

Also custom skins should revert to the model the skin was designed for by default instead of reverting to a completely different model like 'Gorge/Jakob'.

I like that idea. It makes the most sence so far, and the easiest for Epic to integrate. Besides modelers are more likely to take the time to set a fall back model than a user would.

The custom skin idea is so obvious I don't know why Epic didn't impliment it in 2004.

All good valid points though. SO LISTEN UP EPIC!!!!...... HAHA :lol:

Mina_Hew

Aug 24, 2005
I really dont like the idea of fallback being by custom model because some people who make custom models dont bother to configure all the properties and aside from that what if I absolutely do not like what the model will revert to for players that do not have it?... I like the idea of the player choosing a fallback much much much better

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
A modeller who doesn't care is a modeller whose models are crap.(period)

If fallback models can be defined by multiple people then the order should be :
(1) designer
(2) server
(3) player

I don't like giving players a say in this matter as they're going to pick an alternate model/skin combination that results in them having an advantage.

Perhaps models and skins can include an automagically determined 'brightness'/visibility-rating that prevents people from choosing a model/skin that's too different from the one they're choosing the fallback-model/skin for.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Force models as a seperate issue to fix that.

More importantly than any of these said features, they need to make sure all the stock models are equally bright and visible. I really hope 2k7 doesn't end up with the same glowstick syndrome 2k4 has.