1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Computer sh*ttery.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by The Dopefish, Apr 10, 2006.

1. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

bad cpu should beep too, for what it's worth.

Have you checked the 5v and 12v lines out of the psu with a meter? The red & yellow connectors on any of the molex plugs, using black as ground for the meter.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  2. The Dopefish

The Dopefish Active Member

My father checked the power...seemed fine to him.

3. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

A bad power supply can make the fans run but still not have enough, or could have one of the motherboard rails failed causeing it not to post as well. If you have another computer close by, it`s worth the trouble to swap them around quick to find out.

4. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

But there's still one question: What killed the CPU? Answer: The PSU. The PSU might be working as supposed, but it could be cheaply made, which would result a toasted CPU. Can you bring us some close-up pics of the CPU chip? Can you also tell us the name of who made the CPU cooler. I guess your father is stating this way too fast. To go through all the crappery with Intel, only to realize that the PSU was bad, would be pretty much a waste of time.
    A CPU does not toast it self. Only a crappy-fied CPU would do that and considering that the CPU is made by Intel, makes the theory even more unreliable. But it is still a possibility, though first of I would try getting a new PSU.
    PSUs are not really that expensive, and I'm sure that your father can handle buying one if you are sick.

And did you check about the black cords I spoke of?

5. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Uhm, Intel's no better than AMD, IBM, and Sun -- so what processors would toast itself by that theory? (There's not a whole lot of other processor manufactures to choose from :p Unless you mean VIA... but their processors were specifically designed to be cool... slow, but cool.) All mass production has their DOA parts.

How long did you have the processor mounted before it fried? If it was pretty instant -- my guess is that coolant tape didn't contact fully and there was an air-bubble over the processor (Air is an insulator) which killed it.

6. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

You might be right at that point, though Intel makes more secure anti-self-toasting CPUs than AMD does.

If we consider the CPU fried it could be due to several reasons:
    1: The PSU is fsckted and toasted the CPU
    2: The CPU is fsckted and toasted it self (which is weird imo)
    3: The cooling pasta was made of a bad mix/it was getting dry/there were no pasta(doh)/there was an airbubble
    4: The cooling system was cheaply seated.
    5: Some cords were applied wrong
    6: Many more reason, but these are the most reliable

7. The Dopefish

I've had this setup for about a year.

8. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

Random idea: take a flashlight and look at every capacitor on the motherboard. Look for buldges on the tops, leaking electrolite, etc..

9. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

You might also want to get a close up picture of the motherboard, and look up if any capacitor is missing. A bump from something could make such a little one break of

10. Gumby

Gumby Pretty in Pink!

I doubt it would be the processor - i've ran a p4 with no heatsink fan before and it was fine. The bios will tell you "no cpu detected" if it's broke - take it out and try it in another machine or just try to turn it on without a processor and you'll see ;)

11. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

I would definitely try switching out the PSU first.:)

12. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

I've found that if you have insufficient cooling it can cause a whole mess of problems, even irreparable damage. Make sure you have a decent cooling set up before replacing expensive components.

13. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

Considering the fact that he already told us that his cooling is sort of cheap/bad seated, it could be the problem.

14. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Yea... no.

Intel parts are quite unstable in this generation. Next they should be good though.

15. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

I was just messing around with my own computer, and now the very same problem is happening for me. I can turn it on and the fans will run and then they turn of again. If I keep turning the computer on, the computer may start up, but with no screenpicture. I tried to turn of my screen while it was still running and just as I pressed the button, my computer shutdown. This leads me to 2 theories: The plug in my wall is broke or the cord that leads to it, or it could be the PSU. My PSU is only running 300 watt like yours. I believe that my PSU is sorta roasted and only working to a certain point. For my sake, I will go buy a new PSU of 400 watt tomorrow or in 2 days, though I will try to do some stuff with the plug in the wall. I think you should try checking out the wall plug as well :)

My PSU did also come along with the cabinet. Cabinetbought PSUs = crap.

16. The Dopefish

Well, for now, my desktop is going to sit dormant as I'm planning on getting a laptop in the near future. I'll probably give Intel a call in the next week and see about an RMA, but building my own computer has, from day one, been mostly fraught with frustration and disappointment. It may be cheaper, but it's no more certainly stable as any retail desktop. Seems to me that if more than one thing could be the problem then the time and effort and money it could take me to figure out what's wrong and replace what's broken may almost equal simply the time and money of picking up a Dell.

Thanks for all your (related) input, those of you who had it.

17. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I wouldn't give up on building a PC yet. It takes some trial and error, but there's nothing like hand-picking your own parts and then assembling them sans bloatware.

The key is (and I have no idea whether or not you did this) is to research the hell out of it so that you are aware of common conflicts that other users experience. Admittedly, it's a little harder when you're buying extremely new parts.

18. The Dopefish

All the times I've posted here about my computer setups when building a custom rig people came out in a fair deal of support of what I was doing. True, that's not so much researching the technical aspects of it, but, as I said in post 1, the people here seem to be apt when it comes to computer hardware.

Still, I've never found a competent way to keep my case cool AND quiet at the same time. Do both, and you end up with a lowered likelihood for problems. That's why I want to go with a retail computer.

19. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

That sounds like the CPU is overheating badly and the PC is shutting off within a few seconds because of it. I had that problem when a crappy heatsink didn't quite touch the CPU - quickly upgraded to a Zalman :). Check that the CPU cooler is properly attached - best way is to take it off, clean both surfaces, but some Arctic Silver on and reattach.

20. The Dopefish

So now that I'm looking at laptops (specifically, the Dell Inspiron E1505), I'm looking for a deal. Dell sells it for ~$925, but there are three on eBay for under $700 (technically 5, but I won't count the ones under $100 for the moment), and one that's under $500 with a day of bidding to go. Is this for real, or is this almost certainly not going to be as good as if I ordered it right from Dell?