Computer Problems/Upgrades/Info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
I can't stand the xbox controller: I find it to be unwieldy and cumbersome. I don't make much distinction between the terms controller and joystick these days, as they are all pretty similar. Obviously, I'm not talking about something like an ATARI joystick or the Microsoft Sidewinder.

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Hey Dave, what model monitor do you have?

I'm thinking about getting a new one, but reviews are horrible for a lot of these things. Like color is off or black isn't very black at all, those kinds of things. Having trouble finding one that I'll be happy with when I can't see it in person.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Hey Dave, what model monitor do you have?

I'm thinking about getting a new one, but reviews are horrible for a lot of these things. Like color is off or black isn't very black at all, those kinds of things. Having trouble finding one that I'll be happy with when I can't see it in person.

Samsung PX2370 LED 23" I bet there are newer versions out already and Samsung makes some nice ones..

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
I use HDMI because I think it's cool, and because I actually shelled out the extra bucks for a Blu-Ray drive that I pretty much never use. Also, no thumb screws. I think my ACER is a great monitor and ridiculously light, but it seems like there's a little too much white in the contrast washing things out a bit, and I can never get it just right.

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Just pulled out the Order sheet for this build. It's three years old! Unfortunately after all the things I've tried, my video still gets messed up while playing GW2. I don't know if I should do a new build or just upgrade this one. If I upgrade this one, it needs more RAM (I'll add another 8 for a total of 12 GB). And instead of diving into a new monitor, I feel like I should upgrade the video card instead.

I was looking at the 660 Ti. Only problem is, my mobo is for PCI-E 2.0. The newer cards are 3.0. I know they're backwards compatible, but how much will that limit its potential performance?

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
Boney, when I installed TS3 and used the overlay, graphics messed up for me in GW2. I turned off the overlay and everything is hunky-dory again. Are you using the TS overlay?

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Nope. It's a known issue with GW2, everyone recommends to turn off the second GPU. While that helps a little (not having to do a hard reset is nice) it still gets messed up sometimes. I updated the drivers of some of my other components last night as well as a clean install of the newest beta drivers. I played for a bit last night with no issues so we'll see.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Does sound like a driver issue..
I upgraded to the 560Ti with no problem.

here's the PCI E question.
Yes PCI Express 3.0 is backwards compatible with PCI Express 2.0 slots. Like ricardo said there is no performance increase from it because there is no CPU in the market that fully utilizes 3.0. As for the motherboard stuff i didnt hear of such a update. Other than when ivy bridge comes out, the new Chips will fully utilize 3.0

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Just for continuity, I should post here that UNDERCLOCKING my GTX 295 by about 10% solved all of my Guild Wars 2 Graphics issues. It runs like a dream now.

Now, Amber's (aka Belle's) PC build has been ordered. Setup is as follows:

My recently retired ACER 22" Monitor (I picked up the ASUS VS239H-P :D)
My old Coolermaster CM 690 case
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8B75-V
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB
WD Black 500 GB
Corsair Enthusiast 650TX
and Taz's GTX 285

She's ordering the same mouse and keyboard I have (G9x & G110).

At first I was concerned with getting a PSU that wasn't modular... but I forgot how roomy that case was. I plopped the PSU in a while since the other key parts aren't here yet, and I routed those wires behind so well it already looks beautiful. The only ones I didn't take behind were the main power and the two PCI-e cables. I will take them behind if I can. The extras seem like they'll sit nicely tied up at the bottom of the HD cage.

The big concern is wireless. She wants the computer in her room which makes running a cable from the router pretty much impossible without putting holes in the wall. Now her laptop gets full bars in her room, so I'm hoping there is no issue. But I don't know how gaming is on wireless.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Sounds like a solid build. I was on wireless and decided to switch over to my current setup. I would get an occasional drop in speed on the wireless and for games like GW it wasn't to noticeable. The problem was the FPS Games, any lag just made it unbearable and also downloading was a pain. I still run wireless just not for the PC's. I stream Netflix upstairs on wireless with no problem.

Did you get a good deal on the Power Supply, was wondering why you didn't go any higher for possible future upgrades.

Post some PICS of the build when your done.. Lets see your wiring job.:)

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Yeah I knew you were wireless at one point. I just hope it doesn't drop her connection too often.

I did... on sale plus a $20 MIR. I think 650 is more than enough now. Todays video cards require LESS power than your 285... so I don't think we'll have a problem there.

Parts are still on their way. She text me saying her stuff supposedly arrived she's not home to check). The stuff I ordered hit Philly this morning. So I might have a computer to build tomorrow after work. We'll see.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Connection Issues

Hey, did some troubleshooting on the connection problems that tend to occur. The issue was apparent Lag in GW2 and TS3. Happened again last nite and doing speed test showed bad numbers especially upload. 52ms, 25MB (Down), .43 (Up). Ran it on different sites pretty much the same results.

My Current Home Networking Configuration is Modem->Wireless Router->Switch! I have Linda's Video Phone and Switch hard wired into Router and Phones, Printer and TV on Wireless.

I disconnected the Router and plugged Switch into Modem. Ran Speed Test and was shocked at results.
15ms, 52MB (Down), 6.4MB (Up) Ran at different sites and had same good results. hmmmmm Router SUX!:mad:

OK reconnected Router and had bad numbers, confirmed that Router is causing issues. It's an older one that doesn't support Dual Bands etc.
I will be buying a new Router (ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router)
Question I have and will test this tonight.
Can I Print to Wireless Printer in this Setup? Modem->Switch->Router
If not will put back to original configuration.

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
What is the reason for having the Switch always connected? Does the router not have enough ports for all of your devices?

I'm not sure it would work going Modem - Switch - Router. Whatever is connecting to the switch won't be getting DHCP from the router (unless you're doing static IPs).

Did you try looking for updated firmware for the router? We still have a pretty old Linksys, don't really have any issues yet.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I really didn't like the wireless for gaming, and file sharing between the PC's.
Anyway hooked up new Router and was very impressed with the speed. See Image.:lol::lol:

Attachments

• Speed.JPG
    Speed.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 14