1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Colt M1911A1

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Ice, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Domino

Domino < Phoenix Rising >

So if you disagree with the topic in question it's therebye deemed frivolous? That's very open mnded of your SaraP :p

Anyway, the reason the MEU(SOC) or a Kimber, Para etc etc should be in the armory is simple:

The SOCOM is not a sidearm, the SOCOM was never mean to be a sidearm, it is a mission-specifc Special Forces handgun. You don't carry a SOCOM around all the time, it's practically a primary weapon in itself!

Secondly, while the SOCOM is technically lighter than the MEU(SOC) (I haven't calculated for the countless other variants out there) the SOCOM is bulkier in it's profile. The MEU(SOC) has a much lower and concealed profile, and it's design makes it easier to be drawn faster in combat.

Thirdly, Special Forces have been using modernized 1911 sidearms for years, these 1911s saw action in Mogadishu during Black Hawk Down, and since Special Forces can choose their sidearms, a lot of them undoubtedly use 1911s. Force Recon, a Special Forces division desperately trying to be a part of Special Operations Command, have been using a rare modified MEU(SOC) 1911 in their missions.

So what's my point? Every gun in the armory has an option of 2... Players should get a choice what kind of .45 they want, and the SOCOM is by no means the only .45 being used on today's battlefield.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  2. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

What the f ck kind of argument is that?

"Undoubtedly"?

I do doubt that a "lot" of them use the M1911A1.

3. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

As long as we're being nitpicky about things I'd like to point that out as a blantant falsehood. Force Recon is not trying to become intregrated into SPecial Operations Command in any way shape or form. The exact opposite is true. They actually formed a whole other unit to contribute to SOCOM, Detachment 1. The reason the Marines don't want Force Recon under SOCOM is the same reason they refuse to put their aircraft into the Air Tasking Order. Because they have a specific mission of supporting other Marines. And when they compromise on that they get shafted.

4. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

Seems to me the same arguments are being chewed and rechewed over and over again. My opinion is that there are a lot of weapons that should be added before the 1911, weapons it would make more sense in adding from a "realism" point of view and that would be more useful ingame. Don't get me wrong, the 1911 could very well be a nice addition to the game. However, I think other weapons should recieve a higher priority than the 1911. With unlimited time and resources we could have every single weapon we want. Unfortunatly, that's not how it works.

5. Domino

Force Recon may not want to be a part of SOCOM, but they certaintly want the funding and equipment that comes along with it.

Well I can't say that ALL the Special Forces use it, but it's almost certain that at least SOME do... that doesn't change the fact that Special Forces has the option for a modified 1911 if they so desire.

It wouldn't take long to make a 1911 for INF... just take the socom, tweak the model, strip everything good and useful from it, lower the clip capacity, and make it cost more bulk and ta da, you've got yourself a 1911 :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  6. Ice

Ice New Member

You do know you're an idiot, right?

7. Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger [UMC]Shadow

Domino, just give up. Everytime you say something 5 people come along and totally disprove everything you said.

8. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Which special forces, Domino?

Ok.. you've got one variant which is or was the designated sidearm for MEU(SOC) (is that the same thing as Force Recon?) personel equiped with the MP5N.

Who else?

You must have some decent sources or you wouldn't keep going on about this, surely?

Everything I read here and elsewhere says to me that 9mm pistols like the Beretta we already have and the planned Walther are far more representative of what is actually in use.

If Domino ever gets his 1911A1 I want an L85A2 complete with iron sighted carrying handle and UGL attachments. :nag:

9. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

Once again, I ask Domino, what would a 1911 offer that the SOCOM doesn't?

10. Ice

Ice New Member

Uh, with its incredible bulk, you could do wrist lifts during long patrols to increase strength.

11. kungpaosamuraiii

kungpaosamuraiii HOVER TANKS

Err, can we stop with personal insults to Domino?

What SaraP said about the frivolity of this suggestion is the fact that it wouldn't really 'add' anything to the game other than a new model... which is purely cosmetic and therefore can be deemed (in my opinion) as frivolous. But frivolity can be good sometimes.. it'd make the game look cooler.

In defense of Domino, I'd like to point out that the AKMSU or.. Krinkov carbine is a far less valid weapon choice than the M1911 as the latter was actually used more than the former.

OT: (interestingly, Domino in Latin directly translates into "of the Master")

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  12. Big_Duke_06

Big_Duke_06 Charlie Don't Surf!

Even more OT: Domino was also the hot skanky Bond girl in Thunderball, my favorite Bond movie of all time.

Matthew

13. Domino

Now OICW, I've answered this question so many times for you that I'm not going to rehash it for your amusement anymore... try doing a little forum search and you'll find it at least 3 times.

14. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

Unless he made a spelling error, I read it as insults directed towards YOU, not the other way around.

15. Domino

Gah, I need to learn how to read... :D

16. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

The search function since the forum change has never worked for me, but anyway, that's not the issue.

Maybe I've asked you that question before so many times because you haven't offered a valid answer?

17. DamienW

DamienW I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir

Indeed Domino. Dammit, someone here is defending you, stop firing blindly !!! Nice shooting, Tex :D

Let me sum up the next few posts to save us some time

"Domino : The Meu(SOC) has a lower profile and bulk than the socom, plus *insert group here* uses it extensively and spec op forces are allowed to use it, so inf players should too"

"OICW : Again, what does it offer than a socom doesn't ? And you evaded all my other arguments"

"Domino : The Meu(SOC) has a lower profile and bulk than the socom, plus *insert group here* uses it extensively and spec op forces are allowed to use it, so inf players should too"

"Angry Ice : you're stupid"

"Random forumer #1 : lol what a dumbass thread"

"SaraP : Although the 1911 is indeed a good weapon, there are many other weapons that would be better suited for INF, like the *start to name a weapon known only by its manufacturer and his wife and quote all the available technical data on it*"

(repeat previous steps many, many times)

"Thunderchunky : Look, guys, drop it. WE decide what we put in INF for UT. Period. "

No, seriously, this is like an endless loop. Domino, we all have favorites we'd like to see implemented in the game. In most cases, it just won't happen, especially not at this point. End of discussion :)

18. Domino

Hey max, long time no see! Anyway, all I'm asking is for a little more diverse selection when it comes to the .45s in the armory... is that too much to ask?

19. DamienW

DamienW I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir

Considering that there are many calibers that aren't even represented in the armory, and that there are also many countries who are not represented either : yes. ;)

20. Domino

You mean they're are other countries outside of the US??? What is this strange concept of which you speak Max? :D