1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE1 - UT Collaborative Project - Ultimate CTF - Anyone Interested?

Discussion in 'Recruitment' started by Chopin, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Chopin

Chopin New Member

I have devised an idea for a new gametype and I would like to collaborate with a coder who can help turn this vision into reality. This would be a medium-scale project; it will be a larger project than simply changing the scoring scheme for CTF but not nearly as large of a project as say Jailbreak or Siege.

The is a gametype I am calling Ultimate CTF.

Basically, it will function more like a dual version of Assault than CTF. Unlike standard Assault, teams will not take turns attacking and then defending; but rather each team will have their own base in the same map and will have to defend it while attacking the enemy base at the same time.

Maps should be huge and have large ideal player counts. Each base will have a flag, like normal CTF, but in order to access the flag, the attacking team must complete a series of objectives (corresponding to FortStandards) just as they would in Assault, with the final objective opening up the ability to take the enemy's flag. The attacking player does not have to return the flag to their base, they need only reach the enemy flag to score the capture, and one capture wins the match. Scoring the capture should be no easy task; bases should be difficult to attack and easy to defend.

The most unique aspect is as follows. Whereas in normal CTF, all players on a team can attack or defend or both depending on what they feel like doing at the time, in this gametype teams must designate players beforehand as either attackers or defenders. Defenders cannot enter the enemy's side of the map or complete objectives and must spend the match defending their base. Attackers can go anywhere in the map, but cannot kill players on their side of the map. Attackers and Defenders can both score kills in the neutral zone in the middle of the map. This will require mappers to set up zones with specific names, namely RedZone, BlueZone, and NeutralZone.

The scoring would go something like this:

Frag = 1 point
    Complete an objective = 10 points
    Defend an objective = 10 points (this would happen when a defender frags an attacker within close proximity to a FortStandard)
    Capture flag (and win game) = 100 points

My area of expertise is in mapping, so I can do all the mapping with the objectives and zones set up correctly and have a good few maps to release along with the mod. Coding is not my strong suite so I will need someone who can do the coding for this project.

The coding work would involve:
    - Custom scoreboard and scoring scheme
    - Interface for designating oneself as an Attacker or Defender
    - Code to disallow defenders from entering the enemy zone, disallow attackers from scoring frags in their zone, and anything goes in the neutral zone
    - Some sort of HUD showing which objectives have been completed on each side, similar to what is shown in LeagueAssault

If anyone is interested in collaborating on this, just leave a reply. I've already began the first map for it, just need someone who can write the mod.

2. rmcollins3

rmcollins3 AKA "Doublez-Down"

Sounds pretty cool. What happens when an attacker has been killed, respawns at (presumably) their base and then runs into attackers from the other team? They won't be able to kill them and will be easy targets yes?

I wouldn't mind busting out a map for this whenever the time comes, but I don't know the first thing about coding.

3. Kaal979

Kaal979 TheSinew

I suppose that the maps would be too large and the playercount too low.
    A necessary feature for such a gametype would be a 64 bot configuration menu.

4. Chopin

Chopin New Member

I'm thinking they have different spawn points, closer to the center, then if they see an enemy attacker they can kill them since it's in the neutral zone.

5. Chopin

Chopin New Member

I think 32 is enough, the map I'm working on right now I have in mind 24-32 players, maybe even 16-32, we'll see how it turns out.

6. Kaal979

Kaal979 TheSinew

But to be honest Im only making maps for the original gametypes.

7. FXD|Shadow

FXD|Shadow Mad Man, really

A blend between assault and ctf, sounds interesting.. but.. just get recruits first :/
    you'll need at least 2-3 mappers, a coder (or two), someone doing a new hud (maybe), maybe a texture artist etc., there's not just "project lead and go"

8. Creavion

Creavion New Member

And those maps should be better pretty good (some less but good maps), otherwise it will be forgotten very soon.

9. Chopin

Chopin New Member

I agree, the quality of the maps is what will make or break this, and not just how pretty they look but what kind of atmosphere they capture, they need to give players a feeling of suspense and that there's a real objective to be completed, rather than the shallow "deathmatch with flags" gameplay of CTF.