Climbing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
This has been suggested before, but it was some time ago so I'm sure there are people here who forgot or never heard it in the first place. In the next version of Inf, jumping should be removed completely in favor of climbing. So, if you want to get up on top of a crate or platform, instead of spontaneously popping 5 feet off the ground onto the crate, you just sling your weapon and lift yourself up with your arms. This would work like opening doors and operating switches, where you walk up the climable surface and press a key, except I'd imagine you might want a seperate command from the 'grab' key to avoid confusion (ie you don't want to have to be delayed from climbing onto a crate cause someone dropped a gun nearby and using the command makes you pick up the weapon instead of climbing the crate).

Climbing would also apply to lower surfaces too, where you would either jump, or step up really high, like the ledges around the rooftop on DM-INF-Norwich, except it wouldn't require slinging your weapon since you would only need your legs. It would also be helpfull if you could use the climb command to climb down things as well. For example, in said rooftop on Norwich since the elevator only goes up, the only way down is to jump off the roof. If you could use your arms to lower yourself down, you would still have to drop a considerable distance to the floor, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as jumping.

Anyway, this would be much more realistic than the current Quake-style jumping system, and animation-wise it would look much better too (since in vanilla Quake and UT, characters don't push off with their legs as they jump, they just spontaneously pop into the air and go "humph!") It would probably be complicated to program, but UT2k3 could definitely handle it and it would be well worth it.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
This can be done now with a mutator as proven by RA286. Before everyone starts screaming at me yes that was taken to extremes where you can do spider man stuff but it was fun.

Take the concept and make it more realistic. I just hope it doesn't break any maps if anyone tries it.

draven

Jan 31, 2006
i found the mask

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
(SDS)benmcl said:
This can be done now with a mutator as proven by RA286. Before everyone starts screaming at me yes that was taken to extremes where you can do spider man stuff but it was fun.
Where to find this mutator? How called?

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
ok. The mutator was RA286, you know, RA... back in the days...
It was made by Toad and others (my memory is failing here, sorry), who tryed to continue their work for INF 2.9 but where strongly discouraged by this community to do so... they were kicked out. But lets not start on that.

In RA286, you could select your knife and klimb on objects. This allowed a wide spectrum of map exploiting, bugging, roofing, going out of maps... but was very fun and made games very interesting (which was the usual stuff for RA286 games).

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
'RA286' wasn't so much 'RA' as much as it was 'Action_INF'. I recall 'Terminator Vision' and Laser Wall Mines.

The name you're looking for is 'Duke'.

As in, 'I-Embed-My-Projects-With-Cheating-Tools-Because-I'm-A-Dick' Duke.

The same.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
That's more of a running leap than a jump though. Trying to do a vertical jump while weighed down by weapon, load bearing vest, body armor, is totally impractical.

But this has all been discussed to death. I have yet to see it done realistically in an FPS, which is rather depressing actually.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
keihaswarrior said:
...which is rather depressing actually.
Exactly. I don't check it either.

What jayhova said, only what I would add is:
- If you leap when standing or walking, it is like a jumpy forward step (about 1 meter), like in reality you leap over a puddle.
- If you jog you make just a bit of a larger forward step (1,5 meter).
- If you run fast, sprint, you make a large leap forward (2 - 2.3 meter).

If you jump over an obstacle (max 0.7 - 0.8 meter height) the jumping style (animation) changes:
- If you stand or walk you climb when near.
- If you jog you make an upward jump, with nearly zero range forward.
- If you run fast, sprint you make a high jump and reach a distance of 1 - 1.5 meter forward.

Height jumps take more stamina.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Regardless of your stance, you will never jump to get on top of something. 1 leg at a time is what normal humans would do, even when running it would just be a bigger step, like cimbing upstairs, only bigger stairs.
Jump in itself (with no forward movement) is almost completely useless. The only time I can think I'd ever do it is when I want to look over something...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I speak about hopping over a, let's say lying tree, on the run. Why you should stop and climb, when you can leap over it when jogging/running/sprinting? If you walk, you climb/step over it of course. And if it is a crate, or similar, where you climb/step on it, not over, than yes, you would rather climb.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
If you jump over an obstacle (max 0.7 - 0.8 meter height) the jumping style (animation) changes:
- If you stand or walk you climb when near.
This shouldn't require the use of the jump key. It's low enough for walking to just step over it.
- If you jog you make an upward jump, with nearly zero range forward.
You have to stop almost completely to have nearly zero range forward. Basic physics.
- If you run fast, sprint you make a high jump and reach a distance of 1 - 1.5 meter forward.
Again the question is do you want low obstacles (that can be stepped over without significant effort) to require a key press or be naturally stepped over. I think while walking you should be able to easily step over obstacles up to knee height (~70cm), jogging a bit lower and sprinting even lower. Of course this also depends on how many keys you can afford to put into jumping. The luxurious way would be to have a key for high jump that'll slow your movement speed at the moment of the jump, and jump as high as possible (the faster you run the slightly higher you jump), a long jump key to jump over ditches etc and a climb key to climb over obstacles 1-2.5m high. Of course it may be too many keys and minimizing it in some way may be required. Question is what you're willing to give up, if anything.

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
The answer seems pretty simple to me. No new keys and very little change from how things curently work. The solution is to use the jump key for both. It would work like this: In order to make a leap you would hold down the jump key (in my case the space bar) and then release it to jump much the same way you throw grenades. The longer you hold the harder you jump. Standing still you would jump up just like now but if you are moving it would be more like a giant step or leap. Now here comes the interesting part. If you are against an object and you hold the jump key you climb. Easy as that.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
I don't like the grenade system since you can't immidiately throw at 75% power etc. Having to hold the jump key before the jump then letting go right as you need to jump may be possible but quite anoying.