1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Client run server

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by Thailog, Apr 13, 2000.

1. Thailog

Thailog New Member

Ok using a 300 MHz system with 128 RAM. Now for the INI file. What do u used to edit it with. Looks like gibberish to me..

2. ImagoX

ImagoX Guest

I agree- running a dedicated server and an actual game will cause you to melt down- much better to just run a standard Multiplayer game if you want to play against other people on your machine. If you have a second, faster PC of at least 300+mhz, with a fast connection (such as cable or DSL), then use IT as the dedicated server. If you're on a LAN, you can have your "game machine" connect to your "dedicated server" via the LAN.

If you have the server set up on a different PC, you can access it by enabling "Web Administration" and setting a admin user name and password. That way, you can administer the server remotely from any PC's browser. Just type in the IP address of the server, along with the admin port number which is 8077 in the browser addrss line (ex: http://24.26.113.45:8077). After logging in with the Admin UserName and password you entered when setting the server up, you will get a screen that will let you set maps, bots, skill levels, rules etc.

This is the simpliest way I've found to admin. If you need to actually learn the console commands (which I recomend) try starting here: http://www.planetunreal.com/TheAdminPage/

It's a site dedicated to UT Server information.

Good luck!

[MUTTS]ImagoX

3. Thailog

Thailog New Member

Hi all, first time here and and this looks like the right place /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
    Question: I am setting up a in house network and I know I can run UT on a detcated Server for downloading skins to the clients (which is just great not having to put the bonus pack on all my machines) but what about a client run server??? Can it be done???

4. ImagoX

ImagoX Guest

I'm not sure I understand the question here, but I DO have a LAN at home myself, running UT through a firewall on the front-end of the net connection, and I've learned a bunch of things (the hard way) over the last few weeks. If I can help I will- what exactly are you trying to do here?

[MUTTS]ImagoX

5. Thailog

Thailog New Member

Hi ImagoX,
    What I am trying to do is make a cleint and server on the same machine. Any ideas?

6. Ripper069

Ripper069 New Member

Do you have a Super Computer??? /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

[​IMG]
    "Where Ever You Go, There You Are" Thunderdome

7. Thailog

Thailog New Member

No Just a Dell 800MHz. But I just hate the machine to be a deidcated server only. Like someone to play on it too at the same time..

8. Rooster

Rooster Local Legend

You'd be much better off hosting a game on a seperate computer.

The UT server needs MUCH less power (cpu/video) than UT client. It just needs a decent amount of RAM and probably something around 300Mhz to run well (as well as good connection).

[​IMG]
    Map Reviewer for Capture