1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Clean-install CE2013 with no console

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by Ironword300, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Ironword300

Ironword300 Member

Just clean-installed in order to try to solve various issues. This time tried out Community Edition 2013. And with no modifications, no alterations of any kind, no mucking about with any of the INIs even in the most insignificant add-on mod, I've got no console. (Still working in regular UT).

Of course the first thing I checked was the two user INIs, InfiltrationUser.ini and User.ini. Neither had a binding for the console (tilde was empty in both) so I added it in both. Restarted Inf but made no difference. Tilde is not activating the console. So I bound a different key (X, not even close to anything else in UT/Inf's default config).

No dice. The console is totally AWOL. And that's a deal-breaker--you can't play an Unreal game of any kind without the console. Any thoughts before I...hmmm, I guess the next step is to reinstall clean one more time, this time installing Inf before I install any of the updated renderers and testing immediately, to see if that makes a difference; but otherwise CE2013 is going into the dustbin.

Anyone else use 2013 and have this problem?

2. Ironword300

Ironword300 Member

OK, let's add a new wrinkle. I can still tab to get the single command line, so did Preferences to get to Advanced Options. Under Drivers there's a setting for console, and it had a bunch of code-looking Infiltration gobbledygook. The other option was "Unreal Tournament Console", and I thought woohoo, there's the problem! So I chose that and closed out. Ooops. Now the Infiltration menus are completely gone, and back in Advanced Options, the Inf option under Console is now gone as well--so I can't reset it! Though at least I found that the console is defaulted to backslash rather than tilde.

Ok, so I restored a plain, clean backup of UT and reinstalled CE and am trying to ferret out where the actual user settings are stored, and I can't find them. This is really important for me because I have a complicated InfiltrationUser.ini file that I need to just copy over into UnrealTournament\System and just have it work with no further ado--but the reason I got into this mess in the first place is that it won't. And I tried copying/pasting all the settings into User.ini, and some of that worked, but some of it didn't. The console setting, for example, is not picked up from either InfiltrationUser.ini or User.ini or Advanced Options under CE2013. I had tilde=console specified in all three places but the CE install refused to recognize it (that's why I thought the console was simply gone: I was sure that if it was specified in the INI files and/or Advanced Options, the UT engine had to recognize it; and since it wasn't, I assumed that something had to have gone bonkers). But no, you can change the console setting in the Infiltration GUI menu.

I just looked through all the INI files in the entire UT hierarchy. DefUser.ini has no entry for console. Infiltration.ini itself has an entry[UWindow.WindowConsole] with a value ConsoleKey=192; is that controlling the setting? I couldn't find much else that looked relevant. So where in the-OK, I had to go back and edit out what I just typed--but, to be more polite than I originally was, where in Hell is the real place where CE2013 is storing user settings, so I can copy in the keybindings from my old InfiltrationUser.ini? Or is there some way to force CE2013 to stop using whatever other source it's using and just pay attention exclusively to InfiltrationUser.ini for keybinds?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  3. chuckus

chuckus Can't stop the bum rush.

I just checked on my install and the console key is changed to backspace (the key with "|" and "\"). Try that and see if the console pops up. That seems to be the inf standard console key bind.

As far as I know directly editing the ini files can cause some odd behaviour in INF. I never fully understood it myself but I know from experience that INF can revert to default ini settings out of the blue when you start editing different ini files. I'm not sure if other people have had this experience but I haven't found a clear explanation.

If you can edit stuff through the infiltration menu or directly through the console (hopefully the backspace key works for you) I think that would be your safest bet.

Edit:

Did some digging
    Apparently this number is derived from the last two digits of the hexcode of the keyboard key into a numerical format.

Hex code for all keyboard keys
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx

Hex to Decimal Calculator
    https://www.easycalculation.com/hex-converter.php

In this case Hex for Tilde is 0xC0 -> input C0 in converter and you get 192 for the decimal value.

That suggests you have tilde configured as your console key (which brings you back to square 1) but I'm pretty sure its backspace (dunno why maybe its hardcoded?). Hope that helps.

4. Ironword300

Ironword300 Member

Thanks for checking.

MAJOR EDIT: Experiments have uncovered such a significant change in Community Edition 2013 that it requires a separate thread, on the order of an announcement in the Troubleshooting subforum, so instead of finishing out my reply here, I am posting the rest of it in that new thread. I consider this a significant bug, not a feature, though I suppose the point is arguable (thus my tagline in that post). But in summary: If you like to seriously customize keystrokes to fit your unique style of play, don't use 2013!

Anyway, CE2013 definitely screws around with the innards. I've got no choice but revert back to original 2.9 straight so I can customize my keystrokes.