1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chronicles Of Spellborn Dev Debunks U-Engine "Only Good For FPS" Myth

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Dark Pulse, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

The Blogosphere is a wonderful place sometimes. You'll often see people putting down their thoughts for all to see, but occasionally you'll get a gem from a game developer that gives a bit of raw insight into the games business. Such is the case with Lani, who apparently is working on the UE2.5-powered MMORPG, The Chronicles of Spellborn. Inside, he debunks the perception that Unreal Engine is only good for FPS games:

2. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Let's not forget the vehicular games, and other tidbits out there too.

I was in the local university the other day, and the lecturer was talking to his level design class about engines and middleware -they'd been using UT3 for their projects. He said that UE3 was totally unsuitable for racing games or anything high speed, which is why it's only used for FPSs.

Fatal Inertia came out in early 2007, debunking that fact years ago.

Ok, it wasn't a brilliant game, but it did come out of a relatively new studio, and did function as intended...

3. |*BILLY$CLINT*|

|*BILLY$CLINT*| I make things happen!

SGW is going to see the light of day Mr. X does not know what he is talking about.

4. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Ha ha, we were all proving this ages ago. Most people who claim that Unreal Engine isn't useful for anything other than FPS's generally don't understand the technology behind Unreal Engine to begin with.

5. Nathillien

Nathillien █×Thilsa█×

Yeah - this thing about Stargate Worlds not seeing the light of day is a bit unbelievable. May be Mr. X. wanted to say that it's hard to make an MMO with Unreal 3 engine. Or that it does take longer than expected...???

6. Bersy

Bersy New Member

There are a crapload of mods out there that do all that.. Racing games, snowboarding games, etc.. I have played maps in UT even where the only point of the map is to race around at high velocity with boost pads, loops etc. If that's not high speed, I'm not sure what is?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  7. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I think he's saying that, given the current ecology (?) on the MMO scene, even tons of games that make it to the closed beta point will never see the light of day for budsget, balance, gameplay issues.