1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Checkmate v0.8 Released

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, May 31, 2004.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Checkmate v0.8 has been released for Unreal Tournament 2004 in UT4Mod and Zip formats.

Checkmate is an online team deathmatch game which incorporates elements of Chess. In Checkmate, two teams are pitted against each other for the sole purpose of eliminating the opposition's King. Each team will have one King, and any number of Pawns, Knights, Bishops, Rooks, and Queens. Non-King player classes are bought using credits that are accumulated by fragging other players who are of equal or lower class to your own.

A round is won by killing the opposing team's King. At this point a new round will begin, with the highest scoring player on each team becoming the new King. Once the round limit or time limit is reached, the team with the most rounds won will win the match, and a new map will be played.

2. master_newbie

master_newbie 2D Mod Fan

please mirror it on BU, I dont want to register on fileshack :(

3. Bazzi

Bazzi Wearing pink

fileshack is down atm anyways

4. Code6226

Code6226 New Member

sob

And I really wanted to try it out too...

5. stephen_casey_1964

stephen_casey_1964 Toy Sculptor

Downloaded zip from Fileshack and it had CRC errors in it. Checkmate-v0[1].8.zip

Did read some of the doc amd PDF from inside it though it does look intrieging. Hope it has bot support too though. I am going to try the umod.

Dang. The umon wouldn't accept my UT directory even though the installer found it.

I'm still interest in trying this game mode. If anyone has success, please drop me a line at stephen_tacoma_Wa@msn.com

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  6. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

Cool mod. I like the class system and the added objective of having to protect the king, which adds to what is essentially TDM. The pawn's special ability (explosive sacrifice) is a nifty touch, guaranteed to add unpredictability to a game. :)

7. Piotyr

Piotyr New Member

If you're having difficulty accessing our web page, here's a mirror: http://piotyr.shackspace.com/checkmate

Also; we've got another download mirror available now, so if anyone was holding out because they didn't want to wait in line at fileshack, give the new mirror a shot. We'll be adding more mirrors as they're made available...is there a file submit form for beyondunreal hosting?

8. stephen_casey_1964

Thanks Piotyr, that file unzipped nicely. I have a suggestion though. The readme and PDF seem well laid out but there is no mention of installion instructions. Normally this would not be a problem but your file structure in the zip is a bit confusing.

System
    Checkmate\Maps
    Checkmate\System
    And others.

You see the extra system folder made me think that was what would be copied over the games root and the rest would be in
    UT2004\checkmate\Maps etc.

This did not work so I coppied all the other directories over the root as I would with most mods and also the Sytem\Checkmate.ini into the game system directory.

Then the game mode shows it's self. But at first when I tried online or bot match nobody was home. Then I remembered UnrealGrrl saying custom Voices and skins since the patch were preventing some people from getting online. So I changed to an original player charactor, Outlaw I think it was and default voice for him. Still no go So I went into Game settings and desellected Bot Rouster.
    Finnally then when I popped into a bot match, I was not alone and your GUI was active as well as your player skins and such. I was in there for about two minutes before my system reset it's self. The new CBP-2-Bahera map did the same thing to me last night so maybe this is another Epic bug to sqwash or maybe its my PC. After giving your docs a good read in the next few days I will try again. And hopefully get online.

In any event I do suggest you work up a install doc and suggest the players make the same setting changes I did to help facilitate things. Your can check the Atari 2003/4 Troubleshooting forums to see other post on the custom/player/voice/skin online problem.

I was very impressed and intrieged by its architecture and elements of the map. But didn't care for being spawned behind the castle and in the dark. One other item, the players you have skinned for your Rook, King, Etc look too much alike to be able to disern them in close quartered combat. You might think of in the next version to use Aliens models for Nights, the big guys like outlaw as Castle-Rooks, Skinny female as Bishop, etc so there are more distinct visual glues as to what each player-piecee are. Perhaps after you get some more exposure someone will vollenteer to model you some simple pieces and pawns. I don't think they would be too awfly difficult in comparison.

Marvelous concept and I am sure all will work out. Thank you for such an interesting effort.

9. Piotyr

Piotyr New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I've updated our website's FAQ with a blurb about opening the Zip Package, and how to activate the mod.

Your system resetting problem could potentially be an overheating issue; are you by any chance overclocking your video card or processor? Cooling issues usually come up when you put your system through it's paces with a graphically intensive FPS game.

Right now we're just using re-textured versions of the standard models; we're working on replacing all of these with our own content over the next few releases.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  10. Sparky

Sparky Retired Administrator

I love this mod, have since 2k3 and it's just got better. I would like to have the following supported though:

- Small Weapons option.
    - Be able to use the default 2k4 Assault Rifle model.
    - Remove the arrow in the top of the hud.

But, it's a great mod and a hell of a lot of fun! :tup:

11. stephen_casey_1964

I am not over clocking and my CPU stays below 54c, but I did notice my video card fan doess not always spin, it may be faulty, or it may be a poer saving feature. There has been a lot of action on screen each time my system has reset. I will look into it, thanks.
    Asus Ti 4600 128 meg

12. Piotyr

Piotyr New Member

If anyone's interested in playing Checkmate tonight, a shacker has put up a dedicated server for us: arrington.dnbmassive.com (66.98.172.71)

we're hoping to keep it populated for him! Last night we had about 7 people in there and it was a blast