1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Check out this virtual chat/server map from MultiPlayerZone!

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by The Dopefish, Feb 6, 2001.

1. The Dopefish

The Dopefish Active Member

This is ultra-cool, and those of you who have RA3 for Quake 3 (I know, few exist on these forums) will appreciate this idea. The idea of the map is to allow two things: one, for people to go to their favorite servers or to any server via a teleporter, and two, to chat with people without using IRC. Very virtual. It follows the same idea as RA3's welcome arena does. The map is official and can be downloaded here:

http://www.mpz.co.uk/images/news/simong/MPZ-Portal-UMOD.zip

Here's what I got in the e-mail from Simon, one of the big head guys working on this project.

The main thing these guys need is exposure, and I thought I'd be their medium.

2. The Dopefish

Yeah this is a bump. Zaccix made news on the front page about this (apparently Simon sent e-mails to the COOL people ;)).

3. [MPZ]SimonG(UK)

[MPZ]SimonG(UK) New Member

Thankyou !!!

Many thanks for the comments guys :)

Aphex desevers any credit due on this map - I just had the original idea, and layout in mind.
    Aphex spent hours actually doing the builing - For which MPZ have many thanks !!!

Although the current map is a public release - really, this is version 1.
    There are a few performance isues I need to fix ( I added too many Skarg warriors ;) ) and V2 of the map will be released in the next week or so.

Many thanks DopeFish for giving this project some exposure - And be sure to visit us at MPZ on a regular basis !!

http://www.mpz.co.uk/ut

Ohh...just one final thing while I'm here - MPZ will "Hopefully" be announcing it's own UT 1v1 League, and once I've managed to tie the sponsor down ( He's a bit of a Scarlet Pimpernel ) we should have prize funds of approx £1000.00 ........Not too bad at all for an online tournament.
    This will be hard-cash, and not vouchers etc by the way ;)

Thanks again - and long line PU :)

4. thewalkingman

thewalkingman ssssssssssss bugger!

That portal is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it demands a huge one[​IMG]

5. Iazu[CoA]

Iazu[CoA] New Member

Very cool portal map :) Anyone else remember the old one that MPlayer used when Unreal was first released? (meeeemmmmorrrieeess ;) )

Anyway, I do have a few small suggestions/ideas for SimonG (or Aphex) if anyone wants to listen..

• Close off the top of the portal map (the windows) you can translocate right out of the ship and then onto the ground far below the ship without dying (of course you have to suicide to get back in from the ground).
    • Maybe you could add a feature that kind of integrates the server browser into the map. Like when you approach a portal a screen on the side would list Number of players/maximum players, ping etc, etc.
    • Perhaps you could have someone code up a nifty chat interface for the shuttles, kind of like a docked console or something.
    • IMPORTANT :) Have the players spawn in the portal and chat shuttles without weapons. Every time I connected to the portal and there were more than a few people in there it was a bloodbath, not too great an impression for new players ;)
    • Get rid of the mini-nalicows, or at least make them silent, hehe. They get kind of annoying.
    • This is kind of out there, but maybe make a special Portal map for use on your own system, and add an extension in the server browser or in the menus to "add current server to portal map. So you could change UT to load up the map at startup, and walk right into your favorite servers :) (I know you can accomplish the same thing with a little map editing, but it would be neat to have it automated.)

Anyway, those are just some ideas. I have no idea how far you guys want to take the whole server portal/player service thing, and I have no idea how much programming any of that would take. But hell, hopefully you can use some of them :)

Cheers,
    Iazu[CoA]

6. [MPZ]SimonG(UK)

[MPZ]SimonG(UK) New Member

Hi Iazu

Thanks for the ideas !!! :)

Ref Mplayer - I have to admit that this is where I got the idea from - I too remeber the days of Unreal-1, and always loved their lobby map !! :)

Right, Here we go !!!

1) Ref closing off the skylights etc with Windows - We did look into this, but it caused quite a hit on the FPS, so it was decided to leave them as they were. The next imminent version of the map will have Translocators disabled - so will make it very difficult to get to the outside

2) Ref being able to see the map and players of a server - I'm sure this can be done, but will take some time to work out - I always wanted to have this feature - But ran out of time !
    I'll look into it again :)

3)Ref a chat console in the shuttle - Again I'm sure this sort of thing can be done, but I haven't a clue how yet

4) Ref weapons being disabled - Next version of the map will definately have weapons turned off - Again, ran out of time for the map release, and couldn't suss out quite how to do it .

5) Consider the Nali cows gone in the next release ;)...They do get VERY annoying....Hmm...How about if we could stamp on them though :)

6) I love your last idea, but I don't think it would be practical, as the idea of the map is for people to meet up, and decide which server to play on - If everyone has differnt servers coded into the level it would be very confusing - Nice idea for an offline/personal version of the map though :)

Thanks for the great comments mate - all noted, and will be acted upon in the next release ( Sub 2-weeks )
    Cheers :)

7. Iazu[CoA]

Iazu[CoA] New Member

Sorry again for the "cross forum" double post ;)

8. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Very nice, guys!

9. The Dopefish

Yes, very nice. In the second e-mail Simon sent, he said he would run a hosting idea by his masters. ;)

10. ION_Ace

ION_Ace Assault player

This prolly won't help but killall inventory kills all weapons and u can do the same for individual weapons