1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chaos UT3 Shelved

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Sep 7, 2008.

1. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

1. There was a overlay shell of the quad damage effect in Q3A. Epic mostly probably took their inspriation from that rather (even the changed sound in UT2k4 final tried to be similar)

2. Quake4 was unpopular because the 'pro' community from Q3 had crap systems with FX5200s in them and expected a 200fps fest. They (and their 'serious' gaming machines that seem less-than-low-end for the year of q4's release) couldn't live without an 'ambient light' cvar which breaks all lighting for their advantage. This was officially made in a patch and killed off all legitimate play from non'pro' players who play the game as intended. When Q4 was released I had an Athlon 3200 with Radeon 9800 Pro - which by the way wasn't very hard to obtain in late 2005. Quake4 did not list the FX5200 in its 'supported video card' requirements box.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

It's just not that simple though, some people just don't have the talent for it.
    Its like some people aced math in school without breaking a sweat, but others had to fight tooth and nail to get passing grades in it (and feel free to substitude "math" for anything else), people are just not identical, we have different talents and skills, and it works like that for modding too, some people just plain have a talent and a love for coding, whilst others would have to fight a huge uphill battle just to release something basic, and the process woulden't even be rewarding for them, just plain hard and frustrating.

I'm supriced you have to ask, most modders want their mods to be played, if you're going to sink that much work and time into a project, there has to be an incentive to do so, it has to be fun/rewarding for you, and a big part of that for many people is seeing your work getting played and enjoyed by other people.

This is why mod communities spring up around popular games (and not around unpopular ones), just look at how many mods there where for Half-Life and now for the Source engine, lets face it, neither HL1 nor Source are awesome engines for modding (they work, but awesome? no), they have certain limitations and the tools provided are not the best out there, yet we see and have seen a lot of mods use them, even though there where other games and engines out there better suited for their mods, why? because the modders go where the players are, they want their mod to succeed.

I post on many forums and haunt many IRC channels dedicated to PC gaming, i've seen the birth of many mod teams and mods (and also the death of even more), and lately, i have seen many mod teams pass down UT3 as a possible platform for their mod (and just as many start out saying "we'll be modding UT3" only to come back later and say "well, we decided against that, the game's dead"), people are definately interested in the engine, and more so the tools, its the game that goes with it they want no part of, the most common complaint beeing that it has no players, but many have concearns with the game as a modding platform aswell (not the engine as a platform, the game, that it supplies too little and they would have to everything from scratch), and their chances of finding the talent they need in this community.

3. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

No one played Q4 for the same reasons no one plays UT3. System requirements were too steep, too much stuff was taken out, and the gameplay took the same oversimplification nosedive Q3 -> Q4 as UT2004 -> UT3.

I ran Q4 on a 9800 Pro at it was terrible. Sub-30 FPS for a game that didn't look all that great was unacceptable. The gameplay also wasn't too good. Strafing and bunnyhopping were nerfed, causing the game to be heavily rail-based.

It might be good now that id stepped in and patched up the gameplay, but the damage was done long before that happened. Q4 is, in fact, a perfect example of how UT3 has failed and will never get better.

4. Mr.CrackPot

Mr.CrackPot New Member

lol slain, I love your sig, I just need to know where you got it from ;)

In other news, I'm thinking it might be time for UT to become an all together different game...? Not that I don't love the crazy-ass fragging, but it seems like the world's moved forward since the haydays of UT and Quake.

What I'm trying to say is that I'd like more for the Unreal Tournament franchise to survive than for the ut gameplay to necessarilly stay the same.

5. Digital-Orgasm

Digital-Orgasm New Member

I used to love this mod, shame it's not going to be availalbe but then again, as has been said earlier, no suprise.

It's not rocket science to see why mods like this aren't seeing the light of day - UT is a dying franchise. like it or not, much as you love it, it is sadly true. The only game that ever had the magic was Unreal Tournament, a fantastic game, still an amazing game nearly 10 years on. Virtually everything in that game was right, the atmosphere, the graphics, sounds, gameplay, maps, Epic had a win, win situation. The game was incredibly popular, I cannot think how many hours I ploughed into that game. Hell, I even set up a clan and played, I loved it so much.

These days I have virtually no interest in UT games. UT2003 was pathetic, 2k4 a little better and UT3 is ok at most. But they all pale into insignificance when compared to UT. In fact the series has taken a backward step since those great days.

Hardly anyone plays UT3, why? Well maybe it's because there are bigger and better games out now, such as Call of Duty, the Battlefield series etc. As I said UT hasn't gone anywhere except backwards, they have taken out most of what made it great. I was one of those players who spent hours playing and now I don't even touch it, give me COD4 or Battlefield anyday.

Face it, UT has had it's day. And Wormo you are misguided in your views. To program takes talent, it's not something everybody can do. Why would someone waste hours of their lives making a mod that hardly anybody will play? They won't - they will mod for games where their mod will be played or spend their time learning real programming. Oh and well done for saying you created this and that - what difference did it make in the end? Nothing that's what so you wasted time slaving over things for little reward. Do you think Epic care about you when they are making millions of pounds from Grears of War. Of course they don't, they only care about Mr Console Guy paying £40 quid for their bore fest Gears of War.

It has been sad for me to see UT fall from its great heights but Epic must take the blame. They messed about with something that was almost perfect and screwed up. They are only interested in consoles now and making money there. I mean UT3 is just a dumbed down console game ported to PC. The menu looks like it's been made for a 3 year old or something.

So once again, well done Epic, give youselves a pat on the back, ruin UT, make boring console games if you want (Gears of War - zzzzzzzzzz) and take the money but you really shafted the UT community.

:mad:

6. Beelzebud (Satanas)

Beelzebud (Satanas) New Member

I hope Epic enjoys their new community full of people that just want to "use my Xbox 360 controller on the PC!!!11". (That was a popular thread at their forums the last time I bothered going there)

7. fuegerstef

fuegerstef New Member

Yes, but the Chaos team already showed that twice.

8. Pfhoenix

Pfhoenix Programmer Extraordinaire

It isn't so much that the world has "moved on" from frag-fest style games; it's that back in 99, the options present for gamers was much less, and the entire gaming scene was different. At the time UT came out, FPSs were not taken seriously on consoles. Sure, we had Goldeneye and Turok, but let's face it - neither of those games matched Doom or Quake at all. Throw in the wild success of Half Life a year before UT released, and one can readily see the gaming market was primed for a success like UT.

Now we have escalating hardware requirements and cost. People can spend $400 and have a console that will play nearly every AAA title, since they're all either ported to, or from, the consoles. Their alternative, if they have an out-dated computer, is nearly a grand (and that's on the cheap end) to build (not a pre-built gaming rig) a computer that can maybe play the latest games half-way decently. Developers are finding it more profitable to develop for consoles; publishers are finding that gamers are just as happy with console versions as PC versions, sometimes even more so.

The only constant in any dynamic system is that Things Change, and this applies to the electronic entertainment market as well as anything else. You can bitch and moan about the "hayday of computer games", but that doesn't change anything. The consumers as a whole, as with any free market, have pushed the market to the state it's in. The truth is that, besides the bellyaching on internet forums from people expecting free content from both developers and other online strangers, the gaming community as a whole is doing very well, and the average quality of games has been steadily rising (and I'm not talking just graphics).

Me? I'm waiting for Diablo3 and Fallout3. I'll be buying the latter for the 360, and I'm hoping the former will play on my current computer, though I'm not holding my breath.

9. Kangus

Kangus Zombie on your pwn!

Sure was... the news post on the Chaos page is actually dated mid-July.

10. Hedge-o-Matic

Hedge-o-Matic New Member

Wormbo, you're selling yourself way too short, here. There's a difference between hacking together something with code, and coding. Chaos needs someone who can really create with unrealscript, not bash out packages and then set about with digital duct tape. The sort of proficiency Chaos likely needs is well beyond a beginner's scope.

That said, I hear Jailbreak UT3 is wrapping up, and that you'll be getting some free time soon... (hint, hint...)

11. cooloola

cooloola A good samaritan

So you mean UT3 wasn't aimed at consoles primarily? It's obvious from the maps that this game was meant for consoles. Look at the other stock maps for previous installments of UT, the maps were a lot better gameplay wise, just look at redkin it's become the standard for competitive maps. All of UT3 maps are messy, suffer from RCR and have no z-axis action.

12. QAPete

QAPete Chief Muckety Muck

I'm not surprised by this. I wish rflagg and the remainder of the Chaotic Dreams team the best of luck with whatever they end up doing. Chaos UT was ALWAYS a favorite of mine. It was clever, fun, visually stunning... everything a mod should be. Sadly, the fat lady began singing for UT with UT 2003, and finished her song (a funeral dirge, BTW) with UT3. Now with Epic concentrating on consoles (and who can blame them), the chance that there will EVER be a UT game as fun as UT99 is virtually zero point zero.

We had a lot of fun, though. Soon it will be time to say "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

13. Six Ways

Six Ways Third Contingent

I can.....

14. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

+ 1

15. Emmet Otter

Emmet Otter I miss XMP :(

If the game at least had all the usable menu features of instant action/on-line players like we had in 2k4, this game would be in waaaaay better shape than it is now. All these talented custom modders would'nt have to work countless hours into trying to fix (menus, missing features, broken crap and so on) what epic should have offered in the first place, a complete PC game!!! Its a shame cause these custom moders could have focused their attention to adding new content to the game, thus strengthening the community and attracting more people to buy the game cause of the expanding custom content. Instead people just say, "EF THIS!!!" <==========:rolleyes:

Now certain modders are left abandoning what they worked hard half way through cause of lack of fans. very sad:(

Nice job Epic [sarcasm] *claps hands*

Epic bonehead failures!!!!!!

16. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Like I said earlier, this was seriously disheartening news. My interest in UT3 dropped off once I could barely run the demo with my current hardware, and it's certainly dropped even further given the state I see the community now that I've checked back in.

I've been contemplating upgrading my PC so that I could finally try out some of the UE3 games that have been released, but I don't even know if there's much point in considering UT3 as a factor any more. I know that it takes active players to develop a community but if the more popular mods are barely getting off the ground, I almost feel like I'd be better off leaving UT99 installed for online play/Chaos and UT2004 for UTXMP/Chaos2/RPG.

Not to be another negative poster, but it's really saddening to see the struggle to get people to participate in FragBU, a long running mod halting development on the next iteration, and zero activity on the server mailing list (unless I got bumped off finally). Worst of all, it doesn't seem like Epic is actively trying to do anything about it. Every time I hear Epic's name, it's about GoW2. This is what I think burns a lot of people right now. At least with 2003 they were talking about 2004 not long after 2003 was released, so we at least knew that they were working on improving the game. As far as I can tell, Epic has been dead quiet on the fate of UT3.

At this point, I'm half tempted to save upgrading until I know what Starcraft II needs. Unless Spore needs beefier hardware than what I've got. Doesn't look like I'll be missing a ton in the mean time. Plus I know Blizzard will provide the support their game needs to grow and thrive even if it doesn't take off with the loyal fanbase (even when Warcraft III didn't do as well competitively as Starcraft they've been supporting and refining the game ever since).

Sorry to turn this into a personal rant about the situation. I wish RFlagg and the rest of the crew the best of luck with whatever project Chaotic Dreams works on next. Thank you so much for many fun moments with your mods.

17. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Epic's still supporting UT3 for now, and you should get it if you want it. It's fun, and FragBU is usually a blast so it's more than worth it, imo.

18. 213

213 New Member

I'd like to make a suggestion to any modders wanting to have their work shown to larger audience.. this is entirely in good humor/sarcasm,..

Someone make a nice sci-fi shooter type mod / conversion for CoD4. I'd love nothing more than to show one of those grizzled sneaky-arse camper / snipers what a full frontal shock combo to the face feels like.

Really sorry to see Chaos UT is being taken down into the black hole that UT3 created. chaos kept me and a few friends fragging into countless nights long after any normal fps game would have become completely uninteresting.

Thank you guys for all the hard work, and all the fun throughout the UT series! Best of luck to all of you wherever you decided to take your talents and skills.

I know I'll never forget the pure awesomeness of looking closer than normal at my monitor the first time, and asking my bud who was a couple PC's across the room from me... "Are those flak shells bouncing towards me and actually laughing?"

Those mines were the freakiest thing I'd seen in a game. :lol:

19. Brits_Hit

Brits_Hit Flak Monkey

I agree.. Epic can't just keep rehashing the same gameplay with better visuals, it's not making cuts. UT2004/UT3 are still fun games, but even fun games can get repetitive after a while and the same gameplay mechanics grow stale.
    Something fresh may be just what Epic and the UT community needs.

20. SuperDre

SuperDre New Member

Name one game that has come out the last few years that has 'new'/'innovating' gameplay.. It's a hard find, because I can't think of any game.. All games are just rehashes of previous games only with better graphix (and some physics thrown in)..