Changing what ports UT2004 uses?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Ehm...sorry mate, but I don't know if it is even possible. A port is nothing but a set of rules that is used to allow computers to send data to each other. In normal cases, there's no reason to change the ports.
btw: Why do you want to change these? If a firewall blocks your access on UT's default port, it's very likely that all unused ports will be blocked.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
My school's network just sucks. :(

It's not they they block the port, then just make you suffer. A lot.

I talked to a guy from ResNet, and he said that the IT dept. increases latency on online games on purpose to discourage it. I, however, think they are doing this by ports, since everything else is fine, and my friend's City of Heroes still works. Guy down the hall says CS is flawless. Regular internet browing is fine (I have gotten speeds of 500k, up and down). It just sucks.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
They probably use some sort of QoS system that limits what speeds are used on certain ports. This is one way to control how bandwidth is used. It might be possible to use some proxy software to divert the ports being used bu UT2004 but I doubt this would be practical.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Fearless said:
They probably use some sort of QoS system that limits what speeds are used on certain ports. This is one way to control how bandwidth is used. It might be possible to use some proxy software to divert the ports being used bu UT2004 but I doubt this would be practical.

I dunno, it seems way more practical then getting 300 ping that the ingame server browser reports as 15 :(

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
BlAcK_PlAgUe22 said:
My school's network just sucks. :(

It's not they they block the port, then just make you suffer. A lot.

I talked to a guy from ResNet, and he said that the IT dept. increases latency on online games on purpose to discourage it. I, however, think they are doing this by ports, since everything else is fine, and my friend's City of Heroes still works. Guy down the hall says CS is flawless. Regular internet browing is fine (I have gotten speeds of 500k, up and down). It just sucks.
So...you want us to help you abuse the school network? There's obviously nothing wrong with the connections, as the speeds are good. Anything beyond that is the responsability of the IT department. It's their good right to block stuff, because they are the owners of the network, not you.
[SARCASM]Come back once you've bought the school, ok?[/SARCASM]

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Taleweaver said:
So...you want us to help you abuse the school network? There's obviously nothing wrong with the connections, as the speeds are good. Anything beyond that is the responsability of the IT department. It's their good right to block stuff, because they are the owners of the network, not you.

Maybe you missed the part where I said some games run fine? I don't see how changing what port UT2004 uses is "abusing the network," as long as it's not done with an exterior program/way.

Maybe you also missed the part where I said they don't block it outright, just made it annoying.

I read their TOS/Acceptable Use Policy, and the closest thing it said was no game servers.

[sarcasm]great reading skills![/sarcasm]

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I did not miss that part; if they run fine, then it's just lucky for them. My point was that they choose to run the network the way they want. If they choose to block/delay/intercept/whatever stuff that isn't related to school business, then I can only welcome that.
No, changing the port UT uses is not abusing the network. I'm sorry that I wasn't more clear on that: I meant that playing UT in school is a misuse of the network (unless you're studying for professional gamer ;) ).
So you've read the Acceptable Use Policy and concluded that it was allright? Well, ok then. In that case, the problem can be solved easily: explain the situation to the IT department. I'm sure they can help you out...