1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Changing render device?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by bruns, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bruns

bruns New Member

I've had problems with a 'delay' in game (see previous thread), and found that by playing in safe mode the delay went away. I decided to change the render device to opengl- and found that the delay went away, but gameplay itself was stuttery and very unsmooth. Is there any way to make opengl more smooth? Or get rid of the delay with direct3d rendering? Also, i couldnt use the d3d9 (using direct x 9?)- when i tried to open ut after editing my ut2004.ini to use it, i get an error saying that 'the application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way'. Is there any way to fix this, and is there any difference between d3d9 and d3dr? Thanks

2. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

To my knowledge D3D9 was never really supposed to be implemented into UnrealT2004 and their attempts to make it work failed... so in later patches they coded in a kill-switch. If you want D3D9 you'll need to downgrade a number of patches... but DirectX8 should be good enough. (Better than DX9 that's for sure)

As for your bug... computer specs?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  3. bruns

bruns New Member

I have
    AMD 64 3000+
    Geforce 6800 (128mb) (did have latest drivers, downgraded as i heard UT had some lag issues with 8X.XX drivers??)
    1024mb RAM
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs (latest drivers)
    80gb HD

D3DR has no trouble whatsoever running, but with opengl enabled instead, i get an average of 15-25 fps with all details set to lowest on any map :(. I heard that nvidia cards are crap at running opengl, is it worth trying an ATI?

4. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Where on earth did you hear that?
    Its the other way around if anything ;)
    although the new ATI cards are much better.
    Use the directX 8 renderer and try the newest NVidia drivers.

5. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

NVidea cards run OpenGL better then their ATI counterparts. Have a look at OO7MIKE`s eye candy MOD, works and looks great. I`ll have to PM him to see if it works with 2k4 or if he`s going to make a MOD for that too.
    http://home.comcast.net/~oo7mike/Projects_eyecandy.htm
    The 78.01 drivers I`ve found to be the best for 6800 series cards.

6. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Yea dude, nVidia is one of the larger contributers to OpenGL (And OpenAL for that matter... that's a whole 'nother humourous annecdote though... ah nVidia... programming for your competitor, Creative Labs.)

But yea -- DX8 is the best way to go.
    P.S. -- why is each UnrealEngine in consecutive DX order?

DX7 for UE
    DX8 for UE2
    DX9 for UE3

7. bruns

bruns New Member

Thanks for your replies :)
    well, im really stuck for ideas now. First i thought it was my connection that made me lag, but i got a new phoneline and isp- that didnt solve everything. Ive tried different types of windows xp with various updates, different gfx drivers, everything- but still i have no idea what the problem is.
    I decided to set up a dedicated serv to make sure it wasnt my connection- i had 4 ping, and still had the exact same delay. But on some servers where i have 20 ping, the delay isnt as bad. Even i think when i run software rendering, it seems that the delay is not as bad... i dont see how rendering can link to online play though? as i have no lag whatsoever offline... i want to get this fixed asap, as im going to a lan in a couple of days :(
    Oh yeh, and i've still had no luck with getting opengl to run 20 fps+, but thats not so important :)