1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Changing PhysicsVolume values via a trigger

Discussion in 'Programming' started by wattoo, Oct 9, 2005.

1. wattoo

wattoo New Member

Hello,

I've looked on various forums and searched websites, but to no avail. I'm trying to find out if it's possible (and how easy for a beginner) it is to toggle the physics volume on and off.

So if I have a physicsvolume with gravity set to x0 y0 z3000 I can press a trigger which ignores the volume and just uses the level's default of x0 y0 z-950.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys

2. zest

zest New Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  3. draconx

draconx RuneUT

I entered the terms "Trigger Physics Volume" into the forum search and POOF! The thread zest posted appeared!

4. wattoo

wattoo New Member

You're a funny little boy.

I already found Zest's post, but since it's talking about SOMETHING ELSE, I thought I'd see if anyone knew how to solve MY problem.

5. draconx

draconx RuneUT

In fact they're not talking about something else, and the precise solution to your problem is in that thread.

6. zest

zest New Member

He's correct, my bad, they are not the same thing, because all you can trigger is turning on bPaincauseing and it doesn't show how to trigger a gravity change.

Maybee you could code something that triggers a change in the priorty of a volume, and have 2 volumes over lapping, a regular gravity one, and your 3000 gravity one.

7. SuperApe

SuperApe Registered Monkey

You'd want something like this:
    Code:
    //=============================================================================
    // TriggerGravityVolume.
    // Allow Gravity to be Trigger Toggled as well as the bPainCausing property.
    // by SuperApe -- Oct 2005
    class TriggerGravityVolume extends PhysicsVolume;

function Trigger( Actor Other, Pawn EventInstigator )
    {
    	Super.Trigger( Other, EventInstigator );

if ( Gravity == BACKUP_Gravity )
    		Gravity = vect(0,0,1) * int(Level.DefaultGravity);
    	else
    		Gravity = BACKUP_Gravity;
    }
    Subclass PhysicsVolume (right-click and select New...) and replace what's there by default with this. Compile and add as per normal volume. Seems to work fine. Should be fine online as well. (EDIT: Confirmed it does work fine online)

If you didn't want to use the LevelInfo's default Gravity for some reason (say you have a couple different Gravity volumes in your map and you wanted this to either shoot a player up or default to some other PhysicsVolume's Gravity), you could do this:

Code:
    // TriggerGravityVolume.
    // Allow Gravity to be Trigger Toggled as well as the bPainCausing property.
    // by SuperApe -- Oct 2005
    class TriggerGravityVolume extends PhysicsVolume;

var()     bool     bUseCustomGravity;
    var()     vector     CustomGravity;

function Trigger( Actor Other, Pawn EventInstigator )
    {
    	Super.Trigger( Other, EventInstigator );

if ( Gravity == BACKUP_Gravity )
    	{
    		if ( !bUseCustomGravity )
    			Gravity = vect(0,0,1) * int(Level.DefaultGravity);
    		else
    			Gravity = CustomGravity;
    	}
    	else
    		Gravity = BACKUP_Gravity;
    }