1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CGM Preview Duke Nukem Forever

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Apr 12, 2006.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Gamasutra is reporting a May 2006 Computer Games Magazine article in which a writer for the magazine previewing the upcoming Prey also took a peek at the long-awaited Unreal-Engine Duke title. The title, in its current state is described as:
    Another item of note in the Gamasutra article includes the observation that Take-Two has already paid out 4.25 million of the promised 6 million due to the previous publisher upon completion of the title.

2. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

Oh dear. The fact that they're still at the "we'll show the press a few test rooms" stage suggests they're still nowhere near a finished product... In fact, it sounds like it's around the same stage as it was in ~2000 when the last media was released. :/

3. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Yes, 8 years ago.

Remember kids, this is the game that showed a gameplay movie at E3 1998...

4. weisso

weisso Project Lead - Unreal Demolition

This is also a game that has been on 3 engines now. The fact that they keep ditching the game in favor of making something better is a good thing if you ask me. When considering this, along with the fact that they do have other projects that have taken precedence and been released, it makes me worry a bit less that they keep ditching it.

5. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

I wonder if they're secretly wearing diapers now.

6. nDru

nDru New Member

It's gonna 0wn.

7. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Boots of Spanish Rubber

A little late for April fools, no? ;)

8. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Wow, sorry4them.

So they've used nearly all their money, they're most likely going to miss out on the $500 000 release "bonus", and they have "a few test rooms" to show for it. 4.25 Million for "a few test rooms"?

I'd say they're pretty buggered.

9. smattbac

smattbac Flak Monkey

3D Realms is funding the development of DNF themself.

10. lol911

lol911 New Member

They are running their own renderer now, there's not much Unreal-engine left.

11. Retodon8

Retodon8 Sheep happens!

I am still really hoping DNF will be the ultimate game, meaning something I'll love and play almost exclusively, because of all the time and effort they put into this, but every year that goes by my faith in them diminishes. :(
    I am more and more worried this will turn into something Daikatana-esque... which I still haven't actually played or even seen played myself.

My conclusion remains the same, I'll judge it when it's done... which like SirYawnalot mentioned, seems like it's still as far away as it was back then.

12. Parkar

Parkar New Member

Thoes millions is not payed out to 3DRealms. It's payment for the publishing rights going to the former publisher (can't remeber who it was at the moment though).

13. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Parkar - Edited original article to change info regarding the payout. Thanks.

What does this mean to you?

14. Caravaggio

Caravaggio Custom User Text goes here.

At this point I just look at these articles to read the comments in various forums about them.

DNF - food for the aspiring comedian.

15. Emjoi

Emjoi New Member

Don't think "Ulimate Game" about any game. It's a sure path to disappointment.

Just let it come when it comes, or shed a small tear when they finally run out of money.
    Chances are, it'll turn up one day, get a few mixed reviews, people will look at it for a month or so... some loving it, some going "meh". And then dissappear among the hundreds of games already out there.