causing damage; & triggering sounds

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
map's going well :)

however I'm stuck on two things, & I've been all over trying to find answers, but no joy :(

1. How does the DamageInstigator state of SpecialEvent work?
after much tearing of hair out I worked out it has to be triggered by a Trigger actor, not touched by a player. (DOH! :rolleyes: )
But I don't get damaged by the amount I put in.

And does anyone know anything about the DamageType property? I tried putting in 'burned', one of the DamageType classes, & the messgae I got was 'incinerated' which makes sense, but i can't see that word anywhere in the Burned class's defaults.
what will happen if I put a string that does't correspond to a class, such as 'sliced' (by a rotating fan!)
What does DamageString do?
the script for the class has:
Level.Game.SpecialDamageString = DamageString;
which leaves me baffled :(

2. I want to trigger a sound event, much like the 'Warning blah blah' voice in DM-Pressure.
However, I want an alarm sound of some sort, & the only ones I've been able to find are looping sounds.
Is there a way to get the thing to stop playing?
Failing that, does anyone have suggestions for alternatives?

Kongstad-Sas

-=[Techno Dancer]=-
May 3, 2001
Denmark
www.kongstad-design.dk
As far as I remember there is damage type and damage string. Damage type is, burned, ripped or whatever. Damage string is what you put in like :Kongstad was killed by a flying cow: And you define how much damage the playerinflict upon triggering the trigger actor, by finding something named by (asfarasIremember) damagevolume. Well its sumthin like that, I cant remember