Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a fairly good game.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I had Pan hit me while he had light activated and it never failed on me. That is when I realized if I don't use magic I don't run the risk of him healing.

For Malphas you are pretty much required to kill 2 at the start. The key is to at least get her knocked down twice. You can do this by mashing the grapple key at the start and lob 2 eggs at her. Kill the 2 minions, lob more eggs and she should go down. A 3rd egg will hatch, but if you can knock her down that second time the battle is pretty much over with as long as you don't screw up the QTE.

Also forgot to mention, when she goes down the second time, spam your shadow magic for the extra damage. I never gave her time to get up so I am not sure how long you have.

That's interesting, I'll have to give that strategy for Pan a try. Not on Paladin though.

I'm aware of the 2 eggs = grapple opening thing, but so far, I've tried maybe 15 times and never have I been able to grab a second egg on the first round of egg-vomiting. Everytime the first one hits it pulls the camera away from me and essentially any second egg that I just grabbed onto will be let go because of that close-up on Malphas. It's frustrating to no end.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
That's interesting, I'll have to give that strategy for Pan a try. Not on Paladin though.

I'm aware of the 2 eggs = grapple opening thing, but so far, I've tried maybe 15 times and never have I been able to grab a second egg on the first round of egg-vomiting. Everytime the first one hits it pulls the camera away from me and essentially any second egg that I just grabbed onto will be let go because of that close-up on Malphas. It's frustrating to no end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7gI4Ipdu_w&feature=related

Pretty much what I did except I didn't move closer with each egg throw, which is why he only managed one kill. Also if you have ultimate light at this point(I didn't) then you don't need to worry about spamming shadow :)

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
This is just awesome. Finally someone who gets the point, it is a reboot trying to reinvent the franchise. Highlighted important bits

The point is that we may disagree on them being problems at all.

Your core argument is something along the lines of "Castlevania is THIS. LoS did THIS, but before doing THIS it also did THAT and THAT and since THAT isn't what Castlevania has been till now, then it's a problem". But with such a mindset, how does the game even improve? How can we expand and continue the franchise if nothing new can be done?

People were making your exact same arguments when SotN was released. People were bitching about Alucard not using a whip-like weapon. People were bitching about Alucard not being a Belmont. People were bitching about the music. People were bitching about it borrowing from Metroid.

The exact. Same. Arguments.

It's odd how most franchises benefit from seeing their developers trying new things; yet Castlevania does not. Instead of going "wow, this game brought us something new!", fans are often "why the hell this game isn't like every other?". Then people wonder why Castlevania is possibly the least successfull popular saga in videogame history. Sure, for us fans the "core elements" are enough to be happy of almost every release (the last few years of IGA have been more than "meh" to me, but that doesn't change the fact that I liked basically every game with the Castlevania name on it), but for a new fan? For a neutral observer? The only observation they can make is that the series is stale in the games that follow its original form, and very close to terrible in the games that divert from that formula (hello, Judgement).

Sure, let's have 120406070000990 games set in Transilvania where you got to kill Dracula with a Belmont or Alucard and fully take place in a castle. Don't be surprised if Castlevania goes extinct.

There is positively no problem with the first stages of LoS. In past Castlevania games, games that lasted 2 to 5 hours, you spent a couple minutes in the wild to get to the castle. In LoS you spend 3 hours in the wild, but the game is 20 hours long. They didn't take ANYTHING that is Castlevania out of the game. They added something more. They experimented. They tried to expand the mythos. They set the game in a very different age (CV's "core" gothic horror works best in the 1400-1800 period, this is a medieval episode, no wonder it has a somewhat fantasy feel).
If it is a problem that the game tried to be faithful and yet attempt to bring something new to the saga, then we may as well start begging for HD remakes of the old games on PSN and be done with it. I respect your perspective, but it's the same kind of formulaic approach to the saga that has been suffocating it for 15 years. Castlevania has a lot of potential. Its scope and lore and dept and legacy vastly overshadow games like God of War or even Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, and YET Castlevania has a tiny fraction of the popularity of those games. Stop to ask yourself why. Is Castlevania worse or less appealing than those games? Or was it held down for too long by conservative design? Once again, one could see IGA as the guy who kept CV on life support (and as someone who likes the handheld games, the temptation would be strong), but you need to ask yourself if the games could have been more than that if someone dared a bit more.
And the fact that you consider it problematic that LoS has outdoor areas, and feel that that is a betrayal to the saga, while you're perfectly fine about the 2035 games simply tell us that you have different priorities in what makes a Castlevania game. But once again, if 3 hours of woods and ruins disconnect you more from the lore of the saga than an episode set 30 years in the future where Dracula reincarnates in a college student who fights enemies that would be at home in something like One Piece, then you need to accept that I can't credit your judgement of objectiveness. You have your preferences, and I massively disagree with them, and neither of us can claim to be closer to the true essence of the saga.

But until our mentality is to dismiss anything that isn't a reskin of the same game we've been playing for 20 years, we're always gonna get that, and eventually the fanbase will be so small that we will be knowing each other by name. Personally I'm done with being conservative. If tomorrow we get a phenomenal game set in 500 A.D. where a Belmont ancestor travels to the Middle East to investigate the origins of a plague that is decimating Europe and eventually finding out the undead are behind it, I'll be fine with it being Castlevania. I'll be fine if it deals with fighting mummies in a pyramid instead of vampires in a castle, as long as the horror elements are conserved, as long as it ties to the overarching story - maybe by telling us how vampires came to be, or foreshadowing Dracula, or setting up the Belmont legacy, or whatever as long as it does bring something new to the saga - and as long as it plays like a Castlevania game, I'll be fine.

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Where is that post from by the way?

I finally beat the game last weekend. It's so awesome. So awesome.

The voice-acting has to be what makes me the giddiest. Jason Isaacs' role made me :D :D :D :D :D :cool:

Also, why is this not linked yet?

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Where is that post from by the way?

I finally beat the game last weekend. It's so awesome. So awesome.

The voice-acting has to be what makes me the giddiest. Jason Isaacs' role made me :D :D :D :D :D :cool:

http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/

Can't remember which thread it was from as it has been buried beneath all the bitchiness. Working on beating Paladin(freaking easy if you have all upgrades) and only have 3 more trials before I get platinum. Vampire wargame is going to be a bitch.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
After seeing a lot of cutscenes, Gabriel is now my new favourite CV main character.
Skeletons' first appearances = lol

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Welp I may not be getting the platinum trophy for this game for a LOOOONG time. I only have one trial left to get platinum and that would be the vampire wargame. Any minigame period that requires luck to succeed is an instant **** off in my book.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Ordered this game yesterday for £18 from some halloween sale, looking forward to it since I've been playing just a couple different games the past few months and need something different.

The store I ordered it from won't let you place orders for sold out items, but it actually got sold out as I was placing the order so it went through anyway.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I remember winning the Vampire Wargame in my very first game by using a single Necromancer against three enemy pawns. Laura just sucks at it.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
All of them except a single Necromancer.
Trial is retarded anyway, but I don't know if it's affected by difficulty.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
How many pieces did you lose?

I played the wargame twice, 1st time I lost 4 pieces. 2nd time I finished the trial with ease. what I did: dont use your necromancers to attack directly, instead try to build up an army of 1-2 zombies sourrounding one piece your enemies. this way they'll first attack the zombies and you can stall the enemies' pieces from advancing towards you. didn't even make me sweat.

edit: y'know, I'm rating LoS as a simpleton game and I am astonished, that you guys have/had troubles at all.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I played the wargame twice, 1st time I lost 4 pieces. 2nd time I finished the trial with ease. what I did: dont use your necromancers to attack directly, instead try to build up an army of 1-2 zombies sourrounding one piece your enemies. this way they'll first attack the zombies and you can stall the enemies' pieces from advancing towards you. didn't even make me sweat.

edit: y'know, I'm rating LoS as a simpleton game and I am astonished, that you guys have/had troubles at all.

Yeah I have done that with the zombies and it worked great, it all comes down to whether or not you get lucky with the draw.

Also I wouldn't say people are having trouble with the game, they are only asking for advice. Besides a few trials and getting used to combat, the game is kinda easy. Hell I breezed through Paladin in less than half the time it took me to play through Warrior.