1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a fairly good game.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trynant, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

I was a little dismayed at some of the scores thrown at it (Gametrailers 7.9 comes to mind), but after hearing some good things I went ahead and got this.

It's pretty damn good.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGAy6jrRUaY[/m]

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m80ueOixNaU[/m]

The main complaint from people is that you can get lost/stuck/confused fairly easily. I guess this can be true for some, but so far I'm not having much trouble figuring out the puzzles.

The combat is glorious. Definitely God of War inspired, but original enough to not be dismissed as a clone.

What really gets to me and what made me have to post a thread is just how much damn production went into this game. We're talking a 15-20 hour game without retreads in the same areas. It's amazing to see that much content in a game in the HD era.

So yeah, I like this game and think it needs discussion.

Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: And Patrick Stewart narrates it. Hell yeah.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

I beat it today. My mind is not made up right now but the camera system and the overuse of quick time events annoyed me alot also the fighting mechanisms are a bit simple although the outcome is nice and gory.

3. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm loving it. Only just completed chapter 2, and it's just excellent, really. The combat feels more interesting than GoW's did to me and the fidelity of the environments is just jaw-dropping.
    Downside is some of the camera-work, but damn this game so far is great. Loving it and the retreading and more abilities stuff is nice. Patrick Stewart is a bit on the melodramatic side in his narration but he does it well.

(honestly, I don't get the low review scores all that much. Getting lost is not really that big a deal, and this game has actual exploration in it. Sure the camera can get in the way sometimes, but most of the time it's just fine. Really Destructoid, a 5/10?)

4. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Haha, what? What is wrong with people these days? Anything lower than a 9.0 means the game sucks or what? Wow, I'm sorry, but that comment and everything it alludes to is just so damn stupid. :shake:

As for my opinion on the game, it just looks like rehashed stuff but without the xfactor. GoW3 was barely good enough that I was able to make it through the game, but I doubt this would keep me interested. It even gives me the feeling that the devs just grinded this out as a cash in and had no interest in it themselves. :con: At least with GoW3 it was doing it's own thing with it's gameplay style and felt like the devs put their heart into it. I don't really know how to explain what I'm trying to get at, but GoW3 just had that xfactor that made it interesting and C:LoS just seems bland.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  5. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

C'mon, you and I both know how game critics massively inflate scores. 7.9 would be good...for a movie, book or album. It's mediocre when it comes to warped gaming standards. I like rating games on a score that doesn't need a ****ing buffer, but so many reviewers don't.

Also, so far I like this more than I did God of War 3. No one can deny the visual splendor of GoW3, but I felt the exact opposite that you did in terms of interest. GoW3 lacked an 'xfactor' that kept me playing in like the first and second had done so effectively. I'm
    at the labyrinth
    and ready to give up from a combination of frustration and boredom with the gameplay. Lords of Shadow, on the other hand, feels a lot newer and a lot more full of substance than GoW3.

It's definitely more than a cash-in, I'll say that much.

6. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'll second that, actually. God of War 3 does some terrific things, but for some reason the combat in Castlevania feels more interesting to me. While Castlevania hasn't quite hit the amount of insane high notes that the full GoW3 experience has provided, the ends of chapter 1 and 2 both qualify as things that I thought were jaw-dropping awesome. That, and for some reason, somehow I feel that this is about the prettiest looking game I have seen. They sure know how to do their setpieces.

7. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I tried the demo and I liked it quite a bit. I'm glad someone told me to expect "a god of war in the castlevania universe" rather than "a new castlevania game", since I'd be pretty wtf if I was anticipating the latter.

I mostly loved the atmosphere and cinematics. It had a really good epic-movie vibe to it.

8. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Destructoid is here to be ignored.

Excellent game and the best thing to come to the Castlevania series since SCV4 and SOTN, as IGA can only do SOTN clones (OoE was very nice, and DoS & PoR had good bosses but whatever). The series was just on an endless loop.
    This is my GOTY. Perfect balance between platforming and fighting. Good use of QTEs and magnificent environments. Gabriel is very likeable.

Practically only bad review sites (IGNorance, Game$pot and GamePro) gave it a bit lower scores but with terrible written-reviews (because they were expecting another SOTN, huh?). Even SOTN itself was a ripoff of something and it became a hit. This one is just so much better than GOW3 - which after a while I realized it wasn't really good compared to the first two.
    Also this is the first CV game with good scripts & writing!

P.S: **** the other action games, LoS owns right now. And I'm glad they are already working for a sequel. It's awesome how Mercury has the balls to make more 3D Castlevania stuff when the CV fandom is arrogant in general, and allergic to changes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  9. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Good to see a few CV fans here. I have only made it to Chapter 9 at the moment as I am trying to finish some of the trials(curse you vampire war chess you prick). But overall I am loving this game, even if the trials are pissing me off :(

The reviews from Gamespot and IGN are pretty much just retarded. Yeah the game does have its problems. Camera can get stuck in a way that it is hard to see an enemy. The second titan in particular if you are in a certain spot on the map, the camera will refuse to show anything but her legs. The only other thing that pisses me off are those damned sword masters. They attack so fast sometimes it is hard for me to perfect them, though I did find out you can just juggle them in the air(god that was satisfying).

I frequent the Castlevania dungeon forums and I am just in awe at how many people are bitching and moaning that the music isn't CV enough, or the environments aren't "gothic". Yes the music repeats a bit too often, but it is very very well done, and if you listen closely you can hear hints of past titles(crow witch level sounds like the intro level to Super Castlevania 4 and clocktower sounds like the waterfall theme from the same game). The nods to past titles just prove this game wants to be a Castlevania game.

Finally I can't say enough about the graphical aspect of this game. Holy good lord is it beautiful at times. Some spots easily give GoW 3 a run for its money, if only the framerate would stay constant.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Patrick Stewart is freaking awesome

10. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Kindly remove your game threads out of the politics forum.

11. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

I was almost going to say that vampires suck without remembering the terrible pun bestowed in those two words.

But really, I be hatin' on those vampires. They deserve a good whippin'.

It's cool that you can
    pull down curtains to burn them

Kindly remove your spamming out of the internet.

12. Capt.Toilet

Wait till you get holy water. Revenge is best served in a small 16oz flask

Speaking of curtains, do you not agree that some of the lighting is just insane. I believe in the level where you collect the 3 fairies, the sunset looks magnificent.

13. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

Already got the holy water, and yes, unwanted baptisms of death are wonderful.

The entire visual package of LoS is stunning, lighting is definitely a prominent feature. I think my favorite vista is looking at the vampire's castle in the distance. Good stuff.

14. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

I'm with sleepyhead on this one. Game is somewhere at a 5-6 despite some short moments of nice GFX.

15. Capt.Toilet

Some people are just being overly harsh on the thing and with no good apparent reason. All the complaints are because it doesn't have the music THEY want, or it doesn't have the sub weapons THEY want. Classic bitchy fanboism if I ever saw one. Balton and Sleepyhead hate it for legit reasons, though reasons I don't particularly agree with but that is the nature of an opinion.

Anyway I completed it last night.

Poor Gabe becomes Dracula(or Dracul as he calls himself) out of despair for his beloved and I totally called it that Zobek would turn out to be a prick. I kinda understand why they made Satan the final baddie since God was such a prevalent figure being talked about, but I kinda still wish there was a Dracula type character as a final baddie. Either way Satan's battle was a nice mixture of puzzle and combat. Oh and look for Slogra during the after credits cutscene

Either way I give the game a solid 8.5/10. I have been with the series since the very first title, but I don't let my fanboism cloud what is a very good game.

16. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Yeah this game owns. I'd give it a 8.8. Production costs weren't even that high and Mercury still did a masterpiece. GG Kojima too. Waiting for the sequel now.

Oh and Kojima how about a new ZOE game? D:

17. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Just finished it for the first time last night. They do love them some escalation at the end.
    Started again at the first chapter on Paladin difficulty now (and the first level's at 110% completion now, yay old Castlevania completion percentages), but I'm pretty sure I will never get all of the trials. Still going to try and get as many as possible within reason.

I mean, really, that last level's trial, how the hell are you supposed to do that? Same with Pan's bossfight, really. Wat.

18. Capt.Toilet

Pan is alot simpler than you might think. I just didn't use any magic. If you do get low on health, switch to light when he goes to shadow and watch your health just instantly go up. Just make sure you don't get over cocky and hit him too many times or you run the risk of him switching magic mid combo. Besides not using magic, the strat that worked for me was perfect blocking him into a corner. He would hardly have a chance to use that insta hit move of his.

Also that trial is nothing compared to the luck you need to finish the vampire war game losing no more than 3 pieces. F that S. I absolutely despise luck based minigames or puzzles.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  19. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oh right! That wargame one is just ridiculous. I lost 4 on my first try while trying to figure things out, but luck based things is kind of dumb in trials.

Maybe Pan's is not how I remember it being? I thought that you cannot allow him to heal up (supposedly he does that by landing a hit on you when he is using light magic). From the rain of blows he's thrown at me the one time I played through that level, I figured it is essentially near impossible.
    Also, although I appreciated the mechanic at the very end of the fight with Satan (him being dazed with red and blue circles overlapping and moving on the ground and you needing to switch to the appropriate magic when crossing them), I can't see eye to eye with whoever thought up that ridiculous trial.
    And then there's the Crow Witch Malphas trial. I spent half an hour yesterday trying to figure out a way to not kill more than 2 minions, but for some reason lobbing back multiple eggs at the start is not possible, keep failing at it.

In summary, trials GRRRRRRR.

20. Capt.Toilet

I had Pan hit me while he had light activated and it never failed on me. That is when I realized if I don't use magic I don't run the risk of him healing.

For Malphas you are pretty much required to kill 2 at the start. The key is to at least get her knocked down twice. You can do this by mashing the grapple key at the start and lob 2 eggs at her. Kill the 2 minions, lob more eggs and she should go down. A 3rd egg will hatch, but if you can knock her down that second time the battle is pretty much over with as long as you don't screw up the QTE.

Also forgot to mention, when she goes down the second time, spam your shadow magic for the extra damage. I never gave her time to get up so I am not sure how long you have.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010