car care

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
Last weekend i washed the outside of my car thourougly, then applied some of Meguiars #7 Show Car Mirror Glaze, followed by a layer of Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax. My car was so smooth it gave a feeling of being "soft" when my hand brushed up against it. It has almost mirror like reflections. I couldn't believe how good of a job i did on it.

It was 4 hours of work that left me exhausted and thouroughly fulfilled.

My question.. are all cars the same? Does it matter how much clear coat is left? Can i do this same thing to all cars and have the outcome be identical? or is there a difference in auto paints from car to car?

someone wants me to do their car next. how much should i charge? around here there's a Delta Sonic detail shop that charges $59.99, but they do **** like lubricate hinges and apply "Factory Black Undercoat" (whatever that is) to the wheelwells. and so much more. this exterior detail package includes minor interior work like shampoo carpets and stuff too. they use all this professional buffing gear and crap.

How much should i charge for doing just what i did to mine? and is what i did to my car safe on all cars?

Last edited:

ThomRed

Fire Fly
Mar 5, 2003
NJ
If it was a friend, Id just have them get the stuff, and give me a hand doing it. then pay for dinner. Or you could ask for $25 - $40 depending on who it is and how long it takes.

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
the best stuff I ever used on my car was Liquid Glass, it's not a wax, but a polish and finish, can't find that stuff anymore though

Cat Fuzz

Qualthwar's Minion. Ph34r!
As long as your not using any kind of cleaner or rubbing compound it should be ok for all painted surfaces. Just don't use a wax that has a cleaner in it. People often mistake this for something to "clean" their car with when it actually removes some of the paint. The purpose of wax is fill in all the tiny imperfections in the paint and gives a smooth shiny surface.

Tip: If you want that shiny finish to last, be careful when you wash it next time. Don't use any kind of dish soap or other detergent. Dish soap will strip the wax. You can use a car wash soap but the best thing to do is just use lots of water and a very soft wash mitt. Run the hose on the car with the wash mitt right behind it. Rinse the mitt often to avoid scratches that might be caused by dirt particles.

digital-warrior

Awake...
Nov 3, 2001
tx
Visit site
Maguires #7 awsome product...yes what you did is safe on all cars. The #26 yellow I'm not familiar with, probably a carnauba wax of some sorts...

It really does'nt matter how much clear is left on the car unless there is none left, and the glaze makes the finish turn white :(...not a good thing..

The outcome WILL vary from car to car. Depending on the age of the paint, and what kind of torture it's been through. It really does'nt have anyting to do with what brands of paint where used by the manufacurer, but if the paint looks cracked, or severely faded, forget it....you will do no good.....:p

digital-warrior

Awake...
Nov 3, 2001
tx
Visit site
Cat Fuzz said:
As long as your not using any kind of cleaner or rubbing compound it should be ok for all painted surfaces. Just don't use a wax that has a cleaner in it. People often mistake this for something to "clean" their car with when it actually removes some of the paint. The purpose of wax is fill in all the tiny imperfections in the paint and gives a smooth shiny surface.

Tip: If you want that shiny finish to last, be careful when you wash it next time. Don't use any kind of dish soap or other detergent. Dish soap will strip the wax. You can use a car wash soap but the best thing to do is just use lots of water and a very soft wash mitt. Run the hose on the car with the wash mitt right behind it. Rinse the mitt often to avoid scratches that might be caused by dirt particles.

Actually Mr. Fuzz, the best product to use on your car is a mild dish liquid. Just think of it like this...
After you put on underarm deoderant, cologne, and any other stuff to make the body right, will you just rinse off with a wet rag, and no soap in the evening? er....no.
So why would you want to do that to your vehicle???
See, the fact of the matter is...your car is subjected to many of mother nature's elements everyday, so after about a couple of weeks or so, bird crap, rain, gas, the uv rays from the sun, and countless other things, have given your wax a good beating.
Besides, wax like deoderant does'nt last as long as it looks like it does. therefore you must wash it OFF and apply a fresh coat often.....I recommend for a vehicle every three weeks, unless you wash your car weekly, then twice a month.
After the first few times, I would recommend using #7 on the car and nothing else. Should'nt take no longer to wax it than it does to wash it...:)

edit: remember, if your not using soap when you wash your vehicle, it's like wiping your flat screen monitor, or a cd with a dry rag...scratches may appear, depending on how dirty it is...

Last edited by a moderator:

digital-warrior

Awake...
Nov 3, 2001
tx
Visit site
Ahhh, in a sense your right, but have you ever seen a car that had waterspots that could'nt be removed, or cracks where a bird ejected bio acid on it, or stains where gas was spilled, or bugs that etched into the hood.....

It's because paint is like our skin in a way. It is very porous, and is the reason we wax the vehicle, to protect it from these things. BUT, if it's left on for a long period of time, it is no better than the gas you spilled on it a week before. It will slowly work it's way into the pores of the paint and eventually cause chaulking, or cracking. Your paint needs to "breath" from time to time. Beleive me, I know paint. btw,If your vehicle is foreign, and is a solid color, chances are it's a single stage colour and is more susceptable to stains.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
great advice. thanks guys!

so are you saying i gotta wax it every 3 weeks? how long would the Meguiars #7 stay on there if subjected to summer weather (rain and sun) driving everyday?

do i have to remove the wax each time i apply a fresh coat of wax on it? what would i use to remove the wax?

digital-warrior

Awake...
Nov 3, 2001
tx
Visit site
Like CatFuzz said, wax is removed when washing with dish liquid, or some other liquid car wash.

Never use powder soap, like laundry detergent. Especially on black.

You can tell if it needs waxing when you are rinsing off the car and the water does'nt bead up.