1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

can't start UT004!

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by Growler, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler New Member

this is what it says when I try to go on UT2004 - I don't know why it's suddenly not letting me on there; it was working just fine a few days ago!

I've got:
    UT004 patched to 3355
    Win XP SP2
    1GB RAM
    69GB free space on my second HDD [total size 111GB]
    DirectX 9.0c
    ATI Radeon 9200 card

2. PureOwnage

PureOwnage I like guns!

Try Nukeing everything UT. Then re-install, Delete everything thats Ut related in your C: drive.

3. dXII][Pa

dXII][Pa FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

And before you do that, just delete your user and ut inis....

Seriously, check your memory and graphics card. "insufficent system resources" sounds like trouble to me.

4. Growler

Growler New Member

I keep deleting the UT2004.ini, but it keeps telling me this:

how to I check what resources it uses up, exactly btw?

5. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

What have you changed in the fews days since it last worked? I'd guess you put on those Omega drivers. If that's the case, take them off. That D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR is not a UT2004 error at all.

6. Growler

Growler New Member

aah, I've figured it out now:

the ones in bold were at 800*600 while my actual desktop resolution was at 1280*1024; It only worked again when I changed them to my desktop resolution. So every time I deleted the UT2004.ini, it changed the settings back to it's default 800*600 res.

Code:
    [WinDrv.WindowsClient]
    WindowedViewportX=630
    WindowedViewportY=472
    FullscreenViewportX=[B]1280[/B]
    FullscreenViewportY=[B]1024[/B]
    MenuViewportX=1280
    MenuViewportY=1024
    Brightness=0.880000
    Contrast=0.840000
    Gamma=1.170000

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  7. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

You should be able to play at a resolution different from your desktop resolution, and if games crash when trying to change video modes, it's a good sign of graphics driver glitchiness, and you should try to find another version that doesn't have that problem.

8. Growler

Growler New Member

the game doesn't actually 'crash' while in-game, it just doesn't open UT2004 when I try to go on it

9. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

That's not what Hero was saying, Growler.

He's saying that if you have your desktop resolution at, say, 800X600, or any resolution for that matter, you can play at a different resolution in other applications. It's kind of odd (and most likely a BIG problem) that you can't run your games at a different resolution from your desktop resolution.

I mean, I run at 800X600 on desktop whenever I'm typing (I'm partly blind, so I have to have really big characters to read in Microsoft Word - homework), 1280X1024 res when I'm modeling/animating something in 3D Studio Max 7, and 1024X768 resolution when I'm playing a video game.

Basically what I'm trying to say is the same thing that Hyrulian Hero was saying; you should be able to play a game at a different resolution different from your desktop resolution. Get a new(er) driver version.

10. Growler

Growler New Member

well it only seemed to have happened with UT2004 - all the other games seem to work fine under different resolutions to my desktop, so... *shrug*

11. lokicee

lokicee New Member

I figured out a much easier way, Everyone was correct though! I had the exact same problem and all you need to do is:

- change the video resolution amount in the UT2004.ini file, which is set to 800x, 600y, to the current resolution for the desktop.

- inside ini file, scroll to sub menu [WinDrv.WindowsClient] and change values for:
    FullscreenViewportX=, and FullscreenViewportY=, which should be set at 800 and 600 respectively, to the desktop resolution.

Next, scroll down to [SDLDrv.SDLClient]
    and input the same values as above for
    FullscreenViewportX=800 and FullscreenViewportY=600

*I had to change my ini file to 1824x, 1036y as I am using a lcd tv as my monitor, and had to manually set the desktop to fit the screen. This is most probably what caused the problem in the first place. So copy what I did if you're in the same boat*

-make sure you save the ut2004.ini file after you edit it otherwise you will have to do it all over again.

UT should work with no dramas now! I'm new so please let me know if this helped anyone!

Happy fragging!

Loki

12. Tux Android

Tux Android (hiatus on UT series)

Um, this thread is seven years ago mate (Oct 8-9, 2005), well it depends on the preferred resolution of your LCD TV (16" or higher) connected by your monitor, 720p or 1080p is useful but have necessarily problem with it.

13. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

so much misleading advice.

ut2004.exe -safe

and it should launch with a menu allowing you to troubleshoot including starting it in 640x480.

Funny seeing that, coming from a hardcore thread necrophile!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012