1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Can't see laser dots/beams

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Spectator6, May 28, 2008.

1. Spectator6

Spectator6 New Member

Hi everyone! I'm a late bloomer who just discovered this wonderful game and it's amazing! A problem that I run into though, is that I do not see the laser dot or the laser beams in NV when they are attached to weapons.

I hit the "Activate Attachment" key and everything and they never show up. I run Inf in Direct3D mode on WinXP with a Geforce 8800 GTOC with the Steam version of Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition. I wonder if it has something to do with my video card?

What makes me think this is that I ran Infiltration quite a while ago on an older card, I think my Geforce 6600 or it could have been my ancient Geforce 3. Either way, I was able to see the laser dots and beams and the whole nine yards without doing anything more than installing the game, attaching a laser, and hitting the key.

What gives?

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Strange, though I don't use lasers, I see the ones of my buddies pretty well. Have you tried if switching to OpenGL changes things?

3. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Yep D3D is the problem, try the latest OpenGL (or D3D9) renderer from here: http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

On a side note, it's nice to know that Inf works with the Steam version of UT, I had my doubts :).

4. Spectator6

Spectator6 New Member

First off, thanks for help Snakeye and Crowze! But, I'm afraid the problem is still here :(

I downloaded the new OpenGL drivers that you linked to Crowze and I tried running the game with those. Everything ran well but the laser pointers still do not show up. I also noticed what may be a glitch with the Nightvision displaying properly. The middle portion of the view is solid green. (I realize this may be used when staring into a direct light source?)

Anyway, I wonder if the two are somehow related... Here are some screenshots =) Note that I took these in a night map and as you can see by the screenshots, I am "activating" the attachment.

Thanks again for your help guys, let me know if you need any more info from me like a posted INI or something. Hopefully I can get it straightened out! =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Actually the resize made those pics pretty small. When I hit the "F" key to activate the attachment, the hud changes from "Laser" to "Flash" and vice versa. And if it helps any, flashlights DO show up properly

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  5. Mercie

Mercie Member

Activate attachment, on the MK23, toggles between the flashlight and laser. Press the 'Change Firemode' button to actually turn the flashlight or laser on. ;)

6. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

In your last picture, you seem to have encountered a bug I have yet to fix. Will I ever? Maybe. Its a problem where the code gets mixed up with inventory items. I fear it is due to bots inventory or something like that.

7. Spectator6

Spectator6 New Member

Mercie, thanks!! That's all I needed to do! =)

And goegob, you're referring to the NV picture? The same "green out" effect happens for you too?

8. EGM<NL>E

EGM<NL>E Member

spectator6 the green light thing seems to occur when there is a light source/ actor nearby, it also happens in unreal maps near lamps, even when the light brightness at that points looks more like its dark, strange :)

9. Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker Nexus-6

No, it's a bug.

It happens on some servers, so I would guess it's a server issue...

10. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Exactly. Its a bit technical to explain, but its a know bug. It was know of before release. It was partly fixed in the hours prior to the release, but never totally.