Can't play Multiplayer games in UT anymore (or any other game either)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
Everytime my bro tries to start a multiplayer game in UT, he's get this error message (shown at bottom). The "WinSock" thing is mentioned in this error, (as well as in the Diablo II error). I can no longer connect to other computers on the LAN in Medal of Honor Allied Assault - the servers just won't show up in the list. I pretty much can't play multiplayer in any single game on his computer anymore even after reinstalling the games.

the only things he's installed right before getting these error messages (or problems) is McAffee antivirus (now uninstalled and still won't work)

please note that i changed none of the network protocols, or file sharing properties on either machines.

PS - both computers can ping each other (in less than 10ms time)

PLEASE help me if you can!!

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
are all computers able to get on the net???
Can all machines see each other and share files without the game going??
It looks like the game doesn`t see the net.

jreister

heretic
Jan 14, 2000
nirvana
Visit site
seems that the winsocket file is corrupt, had it once also and couldn´t get into the net. Don´t know exactly but maybe reinstalling the network data from your windows-cd may help.
Ask Mike or someone who is deeper in that pudding

SpiritWalker

Tattooed Beat Messiah / Prime Mover
Feb 20, 2002
NC
webpages.charter.net
In the Find All Files dialog box, type Winsock.dll in the Named box, click the Look In down arrow, click Local Hard Drives in the list, and click Find Now . Or in the Search Results dialog box (in Windows Me), type Winsock.dll in the Search For Files Or Folders Named box, click the Look In down arrow, click Local Hard Drives in the list, and click Search Now
In the list of found files, right-click each Winsock.dll file that is not located in the Windows or Windows\System folder, click Rename , and rename the file Winsock.tmp to make sure it will not be used by Windows.
Keep repeating the above steps, but search for copies of Winsock32.dll, Wsock.vxd, and Wsock32.vxd that are not located in the Windows or Windows\System folder. Rename each of these using .tmp as the new file extension.
That should take care of you...but if not..UNINSTALL TCP/IP then reinstall AFTER you do a disc clean up then defrag..

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
thx for the replies guys. yes all computers can get on the net. both of us can ping each other (via start menu -> run -> type ping computer name), and he can view my HDDs (though i was never able to view his HDD, even before the problem, i could never get through the password screen when trying to view his HDD even though there was no password set up)

It's too late now, he already reformatted his HDD (why i don't know, i told him not to do it 'til some people responded here). *sigh* oh well

Thx anyhow, now i know what to do next time this happens.

-Penfold-

Originally posted by StoneViper
...i could never get through the password screen when trying to view his HDD even though there was no password set up...
I couldn't access my computer (w2k) from any other computer (w9x) until I made a new user and password on my machine, and then signed in with the same username and password on the other computers. Only then would the shared drives be shared.

But, even before I figured this out, I could still play UT multiplayer (and Delta Force, for that matter, but over a LAN, though, not a shared internet connection--don't have one)

Last edited: