1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CAN'T LOG INTO WINDOWS!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by neilthecellist, Oct 26, 2004.

1. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Ok, i understand that i posted this thread before. But for some reason, I searched for the thread and couldn't find it. Don't blame me for posting another thread again, please don't!

here's my problem. I can use my computer just like anyone else's, right? But if i EVER EVER EVER shut down the computer or restart it, all of a sudden, i can't get into windows. It will not let me log in. I can't access my files, except in safe mode, which is just RETARDED!

What's wrong with my system?

I'm using XP home edition.

please help! I have SO MUCH HOMEWORK due soon! PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

2. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

3. 1338

1338 Beyond 1337

You're not being specific in the least.

What do you mean "It will not let me log in". What message do you get, if any? Expand.

4. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

1338, what i mean is that I click on "Neil", (my user name on Windows) and it says, "loading your personal settings", and then the screen INSTANTLY changes to "saving your personal settings" and "logging off."

5. B

B Bee

Not sure If you still need it, but i'll post anyway.

Logon as admin and run an anti-spyware tool. (i.e. Spysweeper or AdAware)
    Do you have a updated virusscanner?

Oh and check your PM :)

6. Nines

Nines With Rage Alive

I had a similar problem with my computer a couple of months ago.
    For me, Windows couldn't load!! :(
    I started the computer and before the login came up(when Windows was about to load), a message came up that said something about; in what way i wanted to start windows. There were 5 different choices to choose from, and none of them worked!! It didn't matter wich one i took, when Windows started to load, suddenly the computer restarted!!
    So we turned it in to a place where they were gonna fix it. And i told them i didn't want them to reinstall Windows... but they did!! :mad:

I just wanna say that; you know that when you install ut2004 it's 5,5 gigs, my ut2004 was up on 20,5 gigs, cuz of all the downloads i make!!
    Everything dissapeared!! I was pissed!! :rant:

That is nothing i recommend!!

7. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

wait, does running a program like AVG or Ad-Aware or SpyBot have better effect if I run them in safe mode, rather than in normal mode?

8. [UM]theswarm

[UM]theswarm Spork of the Apocalypse!

That they do. In safe mode they can clean things which would otherwise be running.

Oh and T!T@N, would you rather they gave it back to you still broken? Sometimes there's nothing else you can do but cut your losses and redownload a crapload of stuff (or back it all up on CD-RW's like us smart people).

9. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

thanks [UM]theswarm for the tip.

10. B

B Bee

Make partitions!! Install your games on another partition, i.e. E:\ that way when you have to reinstall the OS, you can format and reinstall the C:\ drive only and keep your games and other stuff intact.

Note: doesn't work for all programs due to registry settings being on C:\ (by default that is..)

11. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

_Zd_Meelobee_ , i have no clue what you're saying. I'm 15 and i have no clue what that meant.

12. [UM]theswarm

I'm 15 and I understood it. :p

13. Nines

Nines With Rage Alive

I don't want it back broken!!
    I just pointed out that it's irritating to lose all you have saved!!
    This time i will make a backup!!

14. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

no one has answered my question

15. [UM]theswarm

Can you get into safe mode?

16. MeStinkBAD

MeStinkBAD Lurking where you least suspect...

I'd guess either a required service or something is missing or gone bad. It's Windows. EVERYTHING goes sour. Check msconfig for a command line that might be execing shutdown.exe. If you can't login as administrator, you can always just install Windows in a new directory. Just rename it. Winstall for example. You don't need to format... unless you are a fool...

17. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

[UM]theswarm, yes I can go into safe mode. That's how I backed up everything using Nero 6.

MeStinkBAD, could u explain what you said in plain english? I'm not that smart. I'm 15. Do you mean to install Windows on a different partition??

18. MeStinkBAD

No I mean install it in a folder other than C:\Windows. Like C:\WinXP. You also could install it too another partition though. D:\Windows or E:\Winsh*t.

19. [UM]theswarm

Yeah that might do it if the damn Windows CD lets you. I suppose you *could* try to install it over itself, but something would probably go sour if you tried that.

20. MeStinkBAD

It let's you... I've done it several times in the past.