UE3 - UDK Can't create PlayerStart?!?!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

greenstar

Nov 15, 2010
I've finished my map, and now I'm trying to place a playerstart and it won't work?! Anyone know what to do about this?

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Hi Greenstar

Just make sure you have built your paths and make sure you don't place the actor on the ground. place it about half the height of a player. Make sure its not on the edge of anything.

Hope that fixes your problem.

Oh if your just having trouble placing it, then as Aalex says try setting the grid size down.

Bazz

Last edited:

greenstar

Nov 15, 2010
My drag grid is at 16. The map is a large terrain. I just subtracted a random square and can place a start. When the level is finished there won't be any playerstarts, I just wanna check the level out. "Play from here" spawns me in a crazy place and just moves the camera around. I just wanna test it!

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
If the tools are giving you a hard time in you're level you can always try copy and pasting a player start from another scene into yours. :)

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Provided it meets all the arguments of my first post I would assume that maybe the terrain does not have collision. At this point I cannot be sure.. I have not yet used terrain in unreal for a level.. only played around with it here and there.

Good luck.

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
Does it have the proper prefix for your game mode? Example: "DM-Mapname". If it doesn't have a proper prefix, it doesn't know what game mode to use.

If you have a hard time placing player starts, I find they are easier to place on BSP rather than static meshes. I haven't used terrain in a while. Also, a good geometry build is useful as well, just so everything is built properly (mainly BSP, I am not sure how it effects terrain).

greenstar

Nov 15, 2010
The map is pretty much one large terrain with meshes over much of it. I'll need to find a way to place a bsp on it where the player can leave and enter the terrain.

The map is for a non UT3 mod, so the mapname shouldn't matter? I'll try putting DM- in front of it.

Thanks for the advice i'll update in the morning

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
Oops, didn't realize this was a UDK related question. For the BSP trick, you only need to create it once (if needed) to place the player start. Once it's in the map, you can just copy/past or alt+drag it to duplicate it.

I am not familiar with custom game modes. If there was only one game mode, it might not matter, but usually there has to be a way for the mod to tell the difference between an UT 3 map and a map for the mod.