1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

can't connect multiplayer help a.s.a.p please !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by carpetpaul, Apr 13, 2004.

1. carpetpaul

carpetpaul New Member

HAve been given some advice previously on how to connect a simple game, (unreal tournament v400) for just two players. May I firstly add that I aint too tehnical, so please correct me where I go wrong :-

was told to find out who had the fastest connection or computer as they would be the server (that would be me)

and to supply my ip addy to my mate so that he can connect directly

having previously set up my connection type in preferences / network etc, I went to multiplayer / start new internet game. I've set all the maps, bots, etc, then went to the last part to set up the actual connection

Was told to ignore the first seven or so boxes because I didn't need to advertise the server, the only other change I was told to make was to add a password, which I did.

I then clicked 'start' and my end started fine "waiting for other players"

then armed with the telephone, my mate told me he'd gone (as advised) to open location and put in my i.p address, I presume he clicked 'conect' or 'start' and he got a screen saying 'connecting' -- press escape to begin............so we waited........and waited...........and waited..........nothing happened. and when you press escape, it just kicks you back out, back to the rivetty rusty screen thing

can anyone help ----- I'm desperate for my first multiplayer experience !

thanks for reading this ! --- Paul

P.S - We both have the standard Win XP firewall active, don't suppose that's got anything to do with it ??????????

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  2. Predcaliber

Predcaliber One Day I'l Beat Lauke

dude, start new multyplayer game isint starting new internet game :)

I dont think you can get online wihtou having a server, or you and your friends just join empty servers with low ping, cause there are lots of them :p

3. Bonzo_Dog

Bonzo_Dog New Member

Rubbish , you can have a multiplayer game without a server, your PC becomes the server when you opt for a none dedicated server, this is called hosting a game, you my friend have a lot to learn! its as simple as opening the console /type preferences, go to advanced options / go to networking then set bwebserver= true, then you got your own none dedicated server and you can run @ zero ping while playing in it.i may set one up this week after the 26th April then you can come play Bonzo _Dog
    i can set one up in 4 minutes or less and advertise it in the Master Browser.
    the MOTD boxes are message of the day ! so you can put what you want in those :example well come to Bonzo_Dog`s Sniper Mayhem :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  4. Predcaliber

whoops, When Did I post that?

I know the dedicated server trick, so Il guess some idiot here @ work had some fun posting @ my account and/or other sites. :( (suspecting someone already)

maby I shouldn't let this PC remember any more passwords :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  5. carpetpaul

carpetpaul New Member

Re delay of 3 seconds ......./ bonzo dog

Have basically given up with trying to set up UT multiplayer now. Have tried allsorts, bothered everyone for advice, and although I managed to set up the server (exactly as you describe) My end (server) appears normal. My mates end has an unplayable 3 second delay.
    We've tried all the obvious stuff, to no avail. Any chance I can set a server up and have you join it to see what you think. That way at least I would know if the problem lies with my computer or my mates.

Please add me to your ICQ ...326754251 or msn using my email loughrigg.jones@tiscali.co.uk.

Best times to suggest meeting for a game ...... any mon eve 5.30 on, all weekdays 5.30-7.00, Sat eve 5.30-8.00.

Thanks a lot for your help ! - Paul

6. Bonzo_Dog

Bonzo_Dog New Member

No Prob

I got your email,i have no icq, I will try to put a full step by step readme toghether, but i think your problems is the fact that you run a 3x package from Tiscali / ISP , this may not be compatable with your friends 10x Package,
    you got the none dedicated server running ! so thats one thing achived, but then you got the lag,
    your up-stream bandwidth is only half of your down-stream band width and its the up-stream band width that the none dedicated server or Hosting a game uses !
    i would guess :boom: (although no expert on this) that your connection cannot handle the packets of data being sent to you by your Client when you run the server -----------packets ---->sent
    <-----------packets ----received, your client or friends PC is sending data at your PC fast
    you could try setting the MaxClient Rate , in the UT ini to Maxium this being
    20,000 this is usually the default speed for LAN ,but for your connection this could be to much,or try using various speeds like 12,000 and so on. lan is Local Area Networking
    <------- Computer connected to another computer via a wire with ethernet cards ? before you all start shouting wireless ,i know LAN can be set-up using wireless technology,
    if your friend ran the none dedicated server, you should have no problems, because of his bigger bandwidth, Bonzo Dogs Sniper Mayhem may be running this week, just look in the Team Death Match browser

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  7. Bonzo_Dog

Bonzo_Dog New Member

We refer to the Nonededicated server "trick as you call it", it is not a trick, its a superb feature of UT ,where friends from all over the world can join together and have a private or public game, other games have this feature such as J.Niclaus golf, there this is called Hosting the game, in UT the host or Guy running the none dedicated server can play @ zero ping and i dont mean the zp you see in the Master server browser, this is a special form of Game Type usually set for Dedicated servers , which you can download,
    I some times have used my PC as a dedicated or none dedicated server ,leaving it runing for friends to use, i even have set it up and given Admin Rights to these players, 1 from Spain and 1 From the same town as me and one from the US :)

8. Predcaliber

............ your kidding :rolleyes:

9. Bonzo_Dog

Bonzo_Dog New Member

dude, start new multyplayer game isint starting new internet game

I dont think you can get online wihtou having a server, or you and your friends just join empty servers with low ping, cause there are lots of them
    unquote: No your kidiing :lol: put your foot in your mouth, then blamed someone else, your another one for my Pics academy , your going in my man oh and by the way lose the crap name -----> |_>PrEdC/ \LiBeRC_|<-- :( sad very sad :( you must get sick of holding the Shift key when typing that mofo ! I did :lol:

Last edited: May 1, 2004
  10. asylum

asylum - tinkab3ll -

make sure when setting up the server, that you have tournament mode UNTICKED, otherwise its waiting all day for the BOTS to click fire...

11. Predcaliber

whooo, Making fun of people on forums
    Is mama proud of you? :rolleyes:

12. Jakal

Jakal New Member

Don't click excape, just wait untill the server loads.

13. Bonzo_Dog

Bonzo_Dog New Member

:(

Attached Files:

14. Lemoni

Lemoni The Philosapher

just a bit of novive info but if you have a fire wall make sure ut gets "web access" and "server access" othewise all hell brake lose!

15. Predcaliber

yeah, hes got a point :)

Turn off the Firewall from your router 2, and use a Software-controlable Firewall, like Zone alarm give UT acces to your Internet!

16. Lemoni

Lemoni The Philosapher

on xp theres also a problem with xp services, one part of that also causes probs with M-Play