1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

can someone explain bot pathing for assault?

Discussion in 'Level Editing - Advanced' started by Megatherium, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

i'm making a really awesome assault map, you'll just have to trust me on that. most of the architecture is done, but i must be doing something wrong with bot pathing because only a couple things work. i looked at several assault maps and tried to figure out what the actors they set down were doing, but still, nothing works.

here's what i've done:

i have set down several fortstandards and given them their priorities.

i have set down defense points and coordinated them with the fallbackfort properties in the fortstandard.

i have set down pathnodes (with working paths) between fortstandards.

i even set the nearestpathnode property (though i have no idea what it's supposed to do).

here's what happens:

bots aren't very aggressive when attacking, they usually sit around in the starting area running between weapons (even though they don't get more ammo) and eventually they set off on the route laid out for them. i can make the attack bots on my team more aggressive by issuing the attack>all order in-game, but the bots on everyone else' maps do fine without that. defense bots are just as passive, even though i set out defense points for them.

my concern is that the bots are not recognizing their path when they go through teleporters (which i employ a decent amount of), but AS-bridge had bots using teleporters just fine.

here's an example of the attacking team's behavior:

there is a fortstandard right through a teleporter and as soon as the first bot goes through, the bots behind it turn around and start backtracking on along the path they were on, all the way back to the start area.

an example of the defense team's behavior:

well the defense start area has a bunch of teleporters that link them to different objectives, and the bots just hang out in that room even though there are pathnodes and defense points calling to them on the otherside of any of the teleporters!

are there any comprehensive tutorials? or is there an established assault map maker that can give me a hand? it really is an ambitious map and i think it will impress the masses if i can ever get it out (been over half a year since i started it).

2. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

so is it that no one here knows how to bot path for assault, or no one feels like being helpful?

should i just release the architecture? let the community see what i've been working on and see if that incites any interest in making it offline compatible?

i'd like to get on to my next idea, but this one needs some kind of closure.

3. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

hmm, I don't think many people work on assult maps (myself included) so it's not likely many people will be able to help. I can only really suggest all the usual suspects like making sure there are connected paths everywhere (with the View->ShowPaths option by right clicking on the 3d view's titlebar).
    I also assume you have the default gametype set to assult (in level properties) and that the match isn't trying to run as a deathmatch or something.

4. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

then i guess i'll just finish up the architecture and release it for online only :(

5. -\Zeta-

-\Zeta- Rave-0-Lution

ho c'mon .. u talk like if u need obsulotely this path anwser .. make the path and somme Asult path to the Ascisiated Tag /Event

6. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

well I can normally help, just I never did assult so I don't know. Try looking on google, I think there is a couple of assult mapping tutorials around for UT2k4

7. -\Zeta-

-\Zeta- Rave-0-Lution

u may try it bot 40

8. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

oh yeah, i forgot to say that it's assault for the original UT

9. -\Zeta-

-\Zeta- Rave-0-Lution

erm .. -_-

10. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

my eyes are not accustomed to your typing dialect so i have no idea what you said in your first post.

my map is very very ambitious. i've been working on it for many months now and i've been trying to figure this out myself and i assure you it's not as simple as setting down pathnodes and fortstandards. i've worked out the entire route but it works in some places and not in others, but i can see no difference. all i'm asking is for someone that knows about assault bot pathing to explain what can and can't be done (especially in regards to transporters).

it's my second map, my first assault map, my understanding of the editor is mostly self-taight.

11. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

Shouldn't be any problem with teleporters. They path up automatically. All I can suggest for those is to make sure they are not too high/low off the ground, they should be at the same height as regular pathnodes (if you turn view->paths on in the 3d view you can see more clearly)