1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[CAN] Gomery Commission...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by geogob, Apr 5, 2005.

1. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

For those of you who are Canadian and are interested to see what is going on behind the closed curtains...

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/cat_canada.php

---

For the rest of you, here's a very very quick and summerised explanation of the situation.

The political party in power at the moment in Canada, the Liberal Party, is currently in the middle of a scandal concerning a sponsership program that turned out to be a nice way to give money to friends so that they can throw money back into the political campains. This is really an over summerised view but it gives you an idea.

This was first reported by the Auditor General of Canada and eventually a commission was put up to study the whole issue. The Gomery Comission, lead by Mr. Justice John H. Gomery, and all its hearing were public. But recently, because some of the witnesses are procecuted under criminal charges on issues related to those under inquiry by the commission, Mr. Justice Gomery accepted the request to put a lock-up on the hearings. This is a scandal in itself IMO... but it's ridiculous for sure...

Of course, it's all leaking out [see link] on daily basis.

By now, most Canadians should know about this link... but some of you maybe don't. The lock-up doesn't really affect american medias nor the internet. Also, by now, most canadian newspapers, radios, tv stations etc. post the link to that blog... that they can do :lol:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  2. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

While I do agree with publication bans in some cases this was badly thought out from the get go. For it truly to work you need a closed session and it was not.

I have been following this for the most part and I truly hope it brings down our current government which it looks like it is going to do.

We need some serious change up here. I firmly believe our current Prime Minister is more dangerous than the last.

What is really sad is the fact that the smartest politician of the bunch is the head of the Block.

3. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

Smart and politician always has been the most dangerous combination. It's a shame the honest ones don't get as many votes. Then again, maybe they are honest because they don't get votes, maybe there is a logic between power and corruption. In any case just give me a call when it's time to bring out the pitchforks, I'll fly right over and join the fun.

4. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

At least Chrétien was funny. But yes, think Martin is more dangerous than Chrétien... no question about it.

5. (SDS)benmcl

Yes he atleast was entertaining. Showing his golf ball collection during the inquiry was masterfull.

I still hate him though.

6. cracwhore

cracwhore I'm a video game review site...

Wait...

You mean...

We should have more stupids in office?

7. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

Dangerous in the same way not wearing seatbelts or something is dangerous: it won't really mather till something bad happends, then you're in a world of ****.

8. DeMachina

DeMachina gone

It will never happen. No one, except the liberals, can form a "majority" governement. There could be some change, but I don't believe you'll get anything else that a liberal government as long as Québec is part of Canada (the conservative party could form a minority governement, but I doubt they'd last long).

9. (SDS)benmcl

I agree. It really is a sad state of affairs here. There is a slight possibility of a Block Consertative government but as you stated that is unlikely to last.

I firmly believe that our biggest problem in Canada is that we have no one that has a true vision for Canada's future. No one to step up and say this is where we need to go and I am the one to take you there. For the last 20 years we have only had negative, no can do.

The one area that I can invision at the moment is in the area of peace keeping. I know many people here hate the idea but in actual fact Canada has been very successful at for many years. The problem is the military has been cutted so bad.

A rebuilt military along with a rebuilt UN would be a good first step. The US wishes to avoid peace keeping and rightly so but they can provide the logistic and transportation system.

I know I am way off topic but myself and many people here are very frustrated with the situation. At the moment I have pretty well given up writing letters to the editor and MPs. Yes I do do that along with reporting errors in news stories when I see them. It really doesn't seem to matter what we do things never changed.

What I find really odd is that every time some dicussion in the media comes up about US Canada relations, other than the fact most Americans don't know where Canada is, is the crazy fear that Canada will become the next state.

My question is what makes us think they would want us?

Ben McLaurin
    A very frustrated Canadian.

10. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

There's also the whole scandal of $300 million of national taxpayer's money being spent to build a private railway between Toronto Pearson and Toronto Union.

Vote NDP!

11. (SDS)benmcl

True but Ottawa is getting a nice light railroad to. Something no one will use.

12. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

But the municipal government is paying for that one. Plus, it doesn't go through a town where I live, every eight minutes, at extremely high speeds, while schoolchildren cross the tracks.

13. Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger [UMC]Shadow

Maybe the school should teach them not to cross the tracks when there is a train coming....

14. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

If I were a father, I wouldn't feel safe letting my child cross ordinary tracks, let alone one with non-stop highspeed trains every 8 minutes.

My point is they are closing the level crossings in my neighbourhood because it is far too unsafe. Whether that will be a good thing or a bad thing, only time will tell.

15. (SDS)benmcl

Derelan is correct. High speed level crossings are dangerous. I live about 300 yards from a crossing for the main CNN cross Canada line. Not considered high speed but they move trhough there damn fast and I have seen far to many cose calls with people that do know. It only takes a little distraction.

16. Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger [UMC]Shadow

I live in East York and the crossing in the Don Valley by the Bayview extension is pretty dangerous... especially considering that there is a bike trail right beside it...

I don't think there have been any problems to date however.

17. Taque

Taque Custom User Title

Yay Canada! Is there anyone here who's Canadian who doesn't live in the wretched East? :p