Can a shooter have a good story?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
A moot point here would be the replayability of the game. I somehow feel that the old-school kill-fest games are much easier to just load up and sink into. Most of the story-based shooters are pretty linear (HL was one big tram-ride all the way). You played it once, poof, don't really feel like playing it again. But I still load it Duke and Quake2 (and UT of course) pretty often.

Emjoi

Dec 27, 1999
Melbourne, Vic, australia
Yup, I agree. The Marathon story is told in a similar way to Unreal 's..... now and again you come across a bit of text to read. In Marathon's case, it's on a computer terminal.
I really don't think that is the way to do it in a shooter because people aren't in a mindset to read things, and the story doesn't have much affect on the point of the game, which is to fight your way to the exit of the level.

Cyberian_2K

Adept
Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
FPS storyline

Deus Ex was way cool when it came to conveying a story.

I found STar-Trek Voyager: Elite Force to be pretty decent when it came to a sci-fi storyline.

disturbed

Nov 10, 1999
www.research-center.org
Marathon ain't all about killing. A great deal of it is, but not all. You just gotta be in the right mindset to play the game. Most people are incapable of being in that mindset. I think that's why Marathon attracted some extremely intelligent and talented people, which is why the game had such quality third party contributions. I've never seen so many TCs for any game.

Vortex

My last status sucked
Jan 19, 2000
Planet Express
Visit site
Good point Ixus, although you can still notice a bad storyline at times. I'll have to take back some of the stuff I said about HL. In that, the story was told better than it was in Unreal. It was easier to listen to the NPC's telling u what was happening than to read it out of a screen or some ancient tome or whatever. And while I'm on the subject of that particular game, did anyone else actually LIKE the Xen levels?

quitgrin1

Demon Like
Jul 31, 2000
Nowhere
www.geocities.com
Why do many people think the Xen levels sucked? There are excellent, and provided a new way of gameplay. I was just tired of playing about 100 or so levels in which I ran and killed soldiers, headcrabs, or slaves, with an occasional monster here and there (at first it was good, the soldier encounters in "Surface Tension" rocked a$$!!!) . I was amazed when I enterd the first Xen world... jumping and calculating if you were gonna land in the righ place... it was really fun...

Well, about the topic, I have one game in mind: Deus Ex. The best storyline ever.

GRINGOLOCO

nrique

Jan 25, 2001
Visit site
Marathon's story is extremely detailed. Kind of like Unreal's story but
with more story interaction. If any one is familiar with the sequels,
there is a lot of mind games being played on you., quite interesting
for a FPS.
I am hoping that after Bungie gets over there upcoming flops that
they will bring out a new Marathon game using the Unreal engine.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Halflife sucked. I played the They Hunger mod (more of a total conversion), which is way better. Thought there's no storyline of any kind int it, there is one hell (litteraly) of an atmosphere. It's makes up the lack of storyline more than enough. It's almost like it doesn't need one.
Perhaps it's more important to create a good atmosphere in a FPS. Quake sucked. Unreal did pretty well. Halflife was better.

Status
Not open for further replies.