1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Camping, think before you spam

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by MeckonOmega, Jul 26, 2001.

1. MeckonOmega

MeckonOmega Meckon (Mech-on)

So I'm playing Kasachstan (sp), and I start off at the entrance (by the grey wall and the portables), I head up the middle, and take a left into the storage room with command center. I expect a rush from the opposite side of the room. I crouch behind a box and aim at the side catwalk. Sure enough, some Q3 style rusher, runs down the catwalk with all to accurate Mp5.

I blast him. What the hell does he expect? Thats a high traffic area. He runs through without checking for ppl, and gets what desearves.

In all his expertise, he says: "g1 camper," or something along those lines.

Now, I was there for all of 6 seconds, crouching, not prone. I feel that this was perfectly fine, b/c I was expecting, based on the last rounds play, him to rush (or progress through the level at a very rapid pace without any sort of concern for his welfare).

I feel that was a perfectly acceptable counter-measure to his rushing.

I can't rush, or engage in fast paced CQB, simply because my comp in too slow to render ppl coming around corners, at a competitive speed. As a result I tend to keep my shooting to mid-range.

Now maybe its just him, but for all those ppl who do rush like that, as their primary tactic, stfu! INF is a mod which is not entended for high movement and run-an-gun tactics, and anyone trying to use those has apsolutley no grounds to tell others what and what not to do at all. I thought we played INF to get away from that sort of thing!

As far as camping. I only stay in one spot when up against rushers, or am the last one alive. And even then, its usually only till the initial rush is done/dealt with, or 15 seconds max, if in round, which I think is just fine considering what game we're playing.

2. ramon

ramon Junior Member

BAH!

let him be, some people just doesnt know how to loose.

3. Mason

Mason Self appointed voice of reason

People just complain when their normal 'tactic' doesn't work...usually it's the 'rushers' that do the complaining. The object is to be the team with the last person(s) standing, rushing like a lunatic is fine when you have 'infinite' lives...not when one death has you sitting and waiting for the next round. My advice would be to smile and simply type in "next time look before you go running into an area"..but that's just me.:cool:

4. Draco-1

Draco-1 I've been to hell, and I spell it DMV.

I've been rushing a lot lately, mainly because I can.. But if I run hellbent-for-leather through an area and get perforated, I'm not about to yell camper. Hell, If I get killed and I have no idea where it came from, it usualy gets a compliment from me since I'm an old-hand sniper. Sneaky kills are the best. ;)

5. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

The sad part is, I bet that guy rushed around the corner the next round too.

6. the vrrc

the vrrc noexistant user

"There is no such thing as camping. You're setting an ambush that people who play FPS games such as UT are not used to, and they mistake that for 'camping', which is 'bad' because they 'died' from it. But, the people who yell 'Hey, camper, blahblahblah', are many times the same people who insta-prone and abuse other bugs arguing that it is fair because it is part of the game."-The VrrC.

7. CyanideTriscuit

CyanideTriscuit UScript hack

You want to talk about rushers... In that same main warehouse in kazakhstan with the control room, I often crouch on top of the box by the catwalk so I can see both the lower door and the catwalk area. One time I saw a little blur of enemy color through the lower door, so I started firing. I figured it would at least scare him away, maybe even kill him from the bullets going through the wall. To my complete surprise, he ran through the door, straight into my line of fire. "Tango Down". Not 3 seconds later, I did the exact same thing with another mindless rusher. I can get 1 or 2 kills 90% of the time if I just sit on that box and wait, round after round. You'd think they would eventually learn...

8. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

Really. I mean I camp the central house in Sicily and Sicily Night round after round and people keep on going through it like I am magically not going to be there.

Oh, and the same ones that do the same thing round after round, are also the ones that bitch like crazy when they get killed by the same thing round after round.

9. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Heh, i think we should take the almighty "." of disrespect into the battlegrounds...

10. Overon

Overon New Member

I got into INF because I was sick of the run and gun FPS. I wanted more realism and strategy and coordination. Unfortunately the current version of INF rewards run and gun mindlessness. So right now the mindless quake style of gaming feels familiar to quake players who play INF and is rewarded and so they really enjoy the game. However my hope is that in the 2.86 that will change. Running and firing will make your aim bad and people will be forced to slow down.

Camping is part of this game. For realisms sake camping is realistic. If this game wants to be deemed realistic the quakers have to realize that this isn't quake and there is no shame for camping, no stigma, and nobody will think less of you if you camp (except the quakers). This isn't quake (well it won't be quake when 2.86 comes out). There are no powerups to camp. Most maps are well designed so that there are multiple ways of getting in and out of a potential camping area.

I get killed by campers and I don't feel bad. I do feel bad when a camper camps prone against a wall with his feet clipping inside the wall. What's worse is that when the camper is on a box above me prone. I can't fire from below and kill him. The only thing that will kill him is a grenade.

11. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

I'm a camper and a proud one at that. Wityh the current TDM play there is really no incentive for me to run off, and since the rushing idiots will run around eventually I just plant my butt in a covered position and blow them away. It is just as valid as their running around like morons and if they call me a camper i say I am, and proud of it.

12. Uppity

Uppity New Member

Yeah, I do both Rush, and camp. You could say that I rush from one camp-spot to the next but it just works out that I actually get more kills from rushing with the MP5 than from sniping with the RC50 - even though my primary aim is to snipe. I guess most ppl know the main 'sniper alleys' and so avoid them so the snipers have to move around a lot. So yeah, I do end up rushing quite a lot, and most of my rush-kills are against the enemy rushers. Maybe when 2.86 comes out I'll drop the MP5 in favour of a FiveSeven. But at the minute, I have no chance at all of hitting a rusher with a sidearm.

Its ironic that since rushing currently gives you the advantage - you're usually at a disadvantage camping, so I find it funny that the guy complained about your tactics when he was the one using the cheap trick.

13. Mason

Mason Self appointed voice of reason

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time.

If someone refuses to adapt to the game they are playing, then they deserve to die. This is more military simulation than 'run-n-gun'...if people just refuse to learn this and continue with tactics that made them a 'god' in Quake, well, that's just insanely stupid.:cool:

14. GNAT

GNAT ...

There is nothing wrong with rushing if you can do it and stay alive :) It is a valid tactic and people are appointed rushers in clan matches. To serve a purpose, and a function.

I'm a cqb fiend and I will make an initial rush, 85% of the time I dont die... I then regroup - ie: reload, walk slow to reload stamina... Then when needed I rush again.

15. Elite_Soldier

Elite_Soldier -Malice-

I personally am not good at camping, and do get annoyed when killed by one. However, I will take a moment to pull my head out of my as<b></b>s and congratulate the person for a shot well done (if it was from a dedicated sniper rifle or iron sight gun... no congrats for an m16/m203/acog combo :)). Good on them ifthey can kill my running butt.

I recognize camping as a valid and powerful tactic. I also recognize rushing. Though I rush pretty weird, like GNAT. I will run as qucikly as possible to high traffic areas, position myself behind some cover and pop off everyone who is coming. Than I switch spots every roudn so I don't get naded out of nowhere.

As regards to the guy who said "g1 camper". You should've just said "thanks". Shuts them up real nice :D

16. {D.A}Arfur_Barrel

{D.A}Arfur_Barrel Ten-shun

Yeh,i agree with all of the above(the whining that goes on in the chat box is dire:rolleyes: )but lets not forget that there's a LOT of confusion over what is/isn't camping/proning.While some threads are talking about BANNING proning,and others are applauding the realism and virtues of good tactical sniping/ambushes u gotta expect individual players (especially newbies to inf) to differ on what they think theyre supposed to be doing.

With all the whining about tactics and weapons,when i first began inffing online,I deduced that if i took into account all the complaints and formulated a whine free gameplan,I should walk forward very slowly,armed only with the k-bar and a smile :D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2001
  17. CrappyChan

CrappyChan Come on snow!

Speaking of camping and hiding in windows, does any server host Kosovo anymore?

18. ramon

ramon Junior Member

Gamblexx

19. PTPjr.

PTPjr. New Member

This always gets me. It's one of the things that can really take the fun out of an online game. People whining and talking crap because someone "camps". First off each persons choice of battle technique is his or her own preference!!!!!!! Seems as though a majority of people don't understand the term "realism" and how it applies to warfare tactics. CAMPING IS REALLITY! In fact when do you ever see real swat or military missions that aren't BASED primarily on "camping"? Damn swat teams might stake out a joint with a healthy helping of snipers for 24 hours or more. Entire armies spend days at a time sniping at eachother.
    Rambo is NOT realism. To those of you who like to call names and talk smack to people who "camp" I suggest you go out and learn the definition of realism and maybe talk to people who have been in those situations in real life. Bet you find that it rarely works out like a Rambo movie. Runners RUN!! Campers CAMP!! Laggers LAG!! Don't whine because your choice of tactics was inferior to another persons, just say GG and frag that person brutaly next round!!!!!

20. ramon

ramon Junior Member

Heh, just 20 mins ago i was playing in gamblexx, map installation. i was in blue. i was rushing, and two times was popped by naders just at the door of my base. "ok, i lets kick som asses" i thought. pick my robar, and shoot through the window. kill one. then, a guy who was "trying" to sniping me from outside with a pistol tells me:
    -whos the idiot sniping in blue??

i go out, and waste him with mp5.

i tell : its me.

he says -Loooool. nub

me: heh, nub??

he: dont u know u cant snipe trhu windows? nub!

me: me! nub! -next round start, i tell him: stand out l33t player. lets see if i can snipe u.

i laugh at myself, and so i did, i sniped him.

i say: as a matter of fact, even "nubs" know that RC50 and high cal weapons shot trhu glass.

he : so u are a fu**ing b*tch!

you see? u ar not the only1 who suffers of mediocre players. keep going, u just make ur time having fun. screw them.