1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Camping & Inf..

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by nova-k, Mar 15, 2001.

1. nova-k

nova-k Damn Newbie

Damn.. I allways knew it could happen and now it has.. CAMPERS! They seem to have invaded every populated server, sitting in a corner with a m-16 in their hands, killing every unfortunate soldier who walks by, no matter what team they are in. It´s really annoying that some rounds last for ages 'cause of a stupid bunch of lamers guarding a corner. Therefore I speak to all the server admins; put a frigging timelimit to your servers to stop this kind of lamenes!

[​IMG]

2. shadowkil

shadowkil New Member

this has been brought up time and time again. myself and many otheres feel that "camping" is a legitimate tactic to use in this kind of game. if you don't like it, pay a little more attention to your surroundings, and instead of walking by alcoves, corners, alleys, etc like a blithering idiot, keep your eyes open, and toss a frag in if there's somebody in there you don't have a clean shot at.

3. DredDamo

DredDamo New Member

Er.

I think if we wanted a constantly moving, running around and bunny hopping game...oh wait, that's normal UT, whereas this is what is called a realism mod. Are you in the wrong forum, novak?

Damodred

[​IMG]
    ---
    www.damodred.net

4. LordSpoon

LordSpoon plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!

Its still annoying when all the last players arent doing anything. I dont mind being killed by a camper, or camping myself, but when it holds up the round because nothing is happening it's really annoying. At least we have the last player timer :)

[​IMG]
    fear the almighty highlighter!!!!

5. TheViper

TheViper Beta Busta

Camper-Whining

[Vipe shakes his head] Here we go again. You don't like being ambushed? Play DeathMatch on UT. And, that's why there is a timer. Personally, for the sake of realism, I would prefer NO timer (but I know I'll probably never win that one).

Someone who isn't serious about engaging the enemy as a sniper or in ambush, who just wants to cower in a corner, he'll be hunted down. Just like IRL. Granted, AFK players would be a special problem, but maybe the program could require some kind of any-key input every so often for a player to avoid being automatically ejected from the game. That would take care of people who are taking too long on the toilet.

-- Vipe -- [​IMG]

-- LIVE FREE OR DIE --

[This message was edited by TheViper[4C] on Mar 15, 2001 at 06:04.]

6. ressukka

ressukka Guest

We`re need more objective based scenarios in INF, `cos IMO excessive camping has already become a problem in Team DM. Rounds tend to last for ages while a couple of guys search for each other in large maps, but standing still, eh. Btw don`t turn this to campers vs. fraggers flame war, most of us players are in between. World is not just black or white, you know :)

7. LordSpoon

LordSpoon plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!

I dont mind being ambushed or ambushing, I just dont like it when everyone decides they're going to camp. Most of the time I've spent playing online, people tend to go off by themselves rather than staying in a group too, which is a bad idea, because it only makes it work.

[​IMG]
    fear the almighty highlighter!!!!

8. Kefuddle

Kefuddle Guest

Camping, its causes and what can be done...

Camping must be considered legit in this kind of game. I think the trouble is that there are no objectives (I don't count "kill the other team" as an objective).

In my mind an objective is a goal that the whole team shares that manifests it self as one or more focal (key) points in the maps. For that reason tactics become essential to secure victory. Camping would be a useful tactic that has its place, so would other tactics like mad team charges, stealthy assualts, etc.

If the game was assault, then the defenders would prolly find that camping would aid their goal. The attackers would get nowhere camping. If the game was capture and secure, then camping would be a useful element, but prolly not the decisive winning element.

Take the Firearms mod (I'm "Gothic Frag" on that), I know, its not Inf and it is not as realistic, but for example the Push-Sequence maps are excelent, whole teams engaging in a desparate struggle to hold the key areas of the maps. For those who don't know, Push-sequence or PS is where a map contains a collection of key areas, all of which need to be captured to win. Trouble is they need to be capture in order. I am not tauting that as a requirement of Inf. just an example of something that works for that mod.

I feel some thought needs to be give to Inf for objective based gameplay. See "http://guide.fa-nation.net" for more detail on what I am waffling on about.

(OK, now you can start your flaming) ;)

9. Toc

Toc IA Member

my 2 cents

i think of it like this, there is camping and there is sniping. a camper sits in one place the whole matchand never moves. a sniper is smart enough to know when its time to head out and find another spot.

INF is a snipers game, no question, but it drives me nuts when i have to wait on a camper.n

[​IMG] [​IMG]

<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="toc.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#000000> <EMBED src="http://people.atl.mediaone.net/jinker/images/toc.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#000000 WIDTH=215 HEIGHT=100 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>//

10. Kefuddle

Kefuddle Guest

Hmmm

I take your point, that is a distinction woth remembering. Well put :)

11. Unicorn

Unicorn New Member

I haven't really seen this as a problem so far; but then I try not to get killed early in the round so I don't have to sit around waiting for ages. I have seen some amusing kills when people have crept up on snipers/campers and shot or stabbed them in the back, and was killed that way myself on a couple of occasions last night; I suspect that once people realise that staying in one place for too long isn't much safer than moving around it will be less of an issue.

Biggest problem I have seen is that when a new person enters the game the last player timer seems to get reset (or does when another person gets killed, and won't start again until the new players on the team are killed). Last night we were down to the last player, but people dropped out because they were bored of spectating while dead, which meant new people joined the game, which meant it went on for longer, which meant more people dropped out, which meant more new people joined... for about another ten minutes until it finally came to an end.

Would be good if there was some way so that the last player timer would not reset after the last of the original players in a round was killed. That way new players can join the round in the middle, but those who started the round and were killed early on don't have to wait forever if new people keep turning up.

12. BB_Izgard

BB_Izgard I need to improve my aim.

Cry!

If you don't like camping Novak, go play another TC. I agree that it's frustrating when there's only two or three players left and they all resort to camping. However, just running into the fray with guns blazing will only get you that far, so... Camping(or ambushing) is a valid tactic. Want action? Play TO or SF. :D

Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I decided to turn around, because let's face it, there are muggers and rapists and all kinds of crazy psychos out there...

13. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

I managed to wipe out most of the oposing team several times in a row on extreme prejudice simply because they ALL ran off the other way around, nobody watched their back and they were all standing in the same places for the entire duration of the round, that is what i call camping, if no enemies show you should move to closer position, peer out if it's clear you move further. What you don't do is pick a spot and stan there the entire round.

[​IMG]

14. CoffeyCan

CoffeyCan Real Maps Coordinator

Wait, wait, wait. I dont know in any of the maps where its possible to cover all threat areas without a team. Meaning if youre the last person, and youre making an active effort to end the round, and the other person is lying in wait, you have a serious disadvantage. As quiet and methodical as you can be, only one set of eyes can only assess one area so fast, and by that time youre usually dead. I agree that its a legit tactic, I also think its somewhat cheap, and since there really is no reward in winning/losing a match, to me it doesnt make a terrible amount of sense. This is exactly the reason I love the last player timer. Without it ppl would get bored and leave, other games where Ive had to wait 4.5 min after dying in the first 30 seconds seems like an eternity.
    CC

RealMaps Site Co-Founder
    [​IMG]
    Often Imitated, Never Duplicated; RealMaps Leads the Way

15. Newbie opinion here.

Love the mod. Love the realism. I also understand the point about realistic gameplay, and paying attention to staying alive, etc, etc. And, there is no camping in real life, just survival.

That said, however, this remains a game, no matter how excellent the realistic feel. IMO, life is too short, and so are my gaming hours, to spend them watching other people play.

I've been giving it a go since the release, but I can't, or simply won't, spend my precious free time spectating just for the sake of realism. To me, that is like saying, "I love the mod so much, I'm willing to NOT play it." With all due respect, I can't go there with you.

So, realism be damned, and regardless what you think of my opinion, I'm looking for multi-life servers, or playing the bots.

BTW, I've been in games where the last few players weren't camping, but searching for each other. Sorta in a circle, always on the other end of the map from each other. Everybody else has to watch this.

"Stay alive", is not the answer. Everybody dies sometime.

My final thought, I would argue that's it's possible to love Infiltration, and not 1 life gaming.

Flagg's $.02

[This message was edited by R.Flagg {MoO} on Mar 15, 2001 at 09:30.]

16. {AFA}1SgtPlatypus_Corpse

{AFA}1SgtPlatypus_Corpse New Member

yes camping is good and does have a place in a game like this. BUT when theres a 10 min round time and your the unlucky soul whos been dead for 9 of those mins well that freekin suxs and thats how the camping hate gets started so to all you server admins please do put some shorter time limits 4 - 5 mins would be plenty the maps arent that big, and theres no mission to accomplish so whywait around all day.

Besides you can still run just not forever.

<left>
    <a href="mialto:platypus_corpse@wowmail.com">
    [​IMG]

</a>
    </left>

<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/mac/ThePlatypusHut/"></<blink> ThePlatypusHut </blink>

17. Unicorn

Unicorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Stay alive", is not the answer. Everybody dies sometime.[/quote]

But some people die faster than others... regularly. Most times I've died early in games recently it's because I've done something very stupid, or because the other team have been very smart and got themselves into a position where they could wipe out most of my team in a few seconds.

I'd agree that more servers should have five or ten minute time limits on deathmatch games, but I'd also say it's a very good idea for new players to get in a fair amount of practice against bots first; not only will they learn the maps, but they'll start to learn proper tactics to keep themselves alive. At the moment it's easy to spot most of the new players because they're the ones who get themselves shot very quickly by doing stupid things.

18. TheViper

TheViper Beta Busta

Time Limits, Objectives, Etc...

With 5 or 10 minute time limits you'll have everyone running around like regular DM. No time for stealth.

I agree with need for objectives for variety, although "search and destroy," as occurs when ground troops are trying to take a town, door by door, is a valid military objective.

I assume there will be some servers running Assault games, regular DM, etc at some point in the future?

As for having too little time to play games other than multi-life ones, well, everyone has preferences, that's why there are so many games, you make your choices. Infiltration Standoff/Team DM is my choice for now.

-- Vipe -- [​IMG]

-- LIVE FREE OR DIE --

19. Lord_Bunker

Lord_Bunker New Member

commercials

i feel like it's almost the same as when i play paintball. probably cause i use the same tactics. it seems like i usually either get out at the beginning or i'm in it to the end. when i get out right of the bat i use that time like i would commercials during a movie. it's a good time to get up and take a leak. i've played on a few servers where when it gets down to those last 4 people, all the spectators start telling everyone where everybody else is. i don't really mind it when they are using the chat all button because then it encourages those few people to move.

i figure at least the nothing wrong with just saying that everyone is camping and you guys better move. what i would like would be a timer that the spectators can vote to activate when a certain percentage of people are out.

20. nova-k

nova-k Damn Newbie

Hrmrmrm...

So sitting in a corner for 15 minutes straight is a 'tactic'? I wonder that have all the CS-d00d5 suddenly rushed to INF-msg board 'cause everybody seems quite hostile nowadays.. With few exceptions.. **** off lamers.

EDIT: I don't mind a cautionous player or generally being stealthy, waiting for 15 minutes for a new round just pisses me off.

[​IMG]

[This message was edited by novak on Mar 15, 2001 at 11:11.]