camg188's Gem-to-Blender Script

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
camg188's GOLEM-to-Blender Script

Quite a while ago, camg188 made a script that could make Unreal 2's Golem/GEM meshes to be compatible with Blender. He posted it on his website, which is now down. Here's a backup the script for the modders that might want to try converting stuff. You need Python and Blender (obviously) to run it.

EDIT: Use the working script a few posts down.

Solution for getting the nbr values: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2328957&postcount=24

EDIT: Here's a list of the models that I've tried to convert.

*converted/can be converted
**not yet converted, may be impossible
***can't be converted, crashes Blender/nothing happens when script runs (regardless of values entered)

*Skaarj Heavy
*Heavy Liandri Angel Body
*Heavy Liandri Angel Head 1
*Colonist Female Body
*Aida
*Aida Gun
*Neban
*Neban Full
*Liandri Angel Light Helmet
*Liandri Angel Light Hair
*Colonist Hat A
* Marine Light Head
* Liandri Angel Medium Body
*Colonist Male Body

**Liandri Angel Light Head
**Isaak (managed to get him working slightly in Blender, but I lost the values)
**Sector Commander
**Izarian
**Kai Clothed
**Kai Unclothed
**Drakk Light
**Seagoat
** Araknid Heavy

EDIT: Actually, the models that crash the game may be caused by a range of face_strt values. I'll have to look into it, maybe I really can convert all of the Angels.

EDIT: I've converted all of the angels with the script, aside from the Light Liandri Angel head.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
I'm no modeler, but I do know that the proprietary Golem format is an obstacle for converting those models.

This sounds like a solution. If so, that's a great find!

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
I'm getting pretty good at hex editing in general, so once I get my Unreal 2 disc back, I'm going to see if I can get the script to work. If I do, I'll make a guide.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
I got my disc back and I'm testing the code. It looks like the script won't work with anything but Blender 2.33a and Python 2.3. I also had to find another backup of the script on my old comp, the first one I submitted here is corrupted or something.

Now I just need to look for some values. I'm going to look at MercFemHeavy so that I can see how camg188 got the values used in the script.

EDIT: I ran the script after changing the file path. Nice to know that it works!

langelmesh.png

Here's the working script:

Attachments

• gem2blendermesh_v01_(2).zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah, the models are exported as .blend (although I think the script can do .psk, too). It'll definitely take me a while to get the right values, though. Camg188's instructions are way too vague. First he says that a certain value is obtained by a formula, then it's in the code itself. :hmm: Good thing he put a few values in, though.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Cool! Awesome! We can port this to UT2004 then! Most of U2 characters are already in, but none of Liandri Angels are ported. Also, having monsters ported could make good Invasion enemies.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
I've got the pnt_strt, vtx_strt, and vtx_nbr for the Heavy Skaarj so far.

By the way, should I put the models already in the script up for download? None of them have been converted aside from Aida. I hardly have any experience in putting models into UT, so unless there's a tutorial for that sort of thing, I'll need somebody else to get them in game.

veselaki

Sep 9, 2005
By the way, should I put the models already in the script up for download?
Good idea but i think there is some sort of error in the script, i tried to execute it in Blender and i got this message ''ERROR: python script error check console'' and then it went to the line ''import os, sys, string, math''. Im not sure what to do.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
That's because you have the wrong version of python and blender. You need version 2.33a of Blender and 2.3 of Python.

EDIT: I just have to find wgt_nbr, but I don't think camg188 left instructions on getting it. I can't even use any of the other models as examples. :mad:
I'll keep looking, though.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I've found out that Unreal II actually used .PSK meshes up to some point! So we will be able to get at least some meshes in the original form, once that beta gets available for download. Not sure when, though :(

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
Great! So, who is releasing the beta? Epic? Or is it an ex-developer for Legend?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Neither, an Unreal fan that collects all the betas. In fact, there's even more to it - there are Shian and Strider maps in there, as well as network support and an unfinished tournament ladder... But it's hard to say when these will be released, because of copyrights and such. Though the bankruptcy of Legend might speed things up a bit.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
\o/ Great!

EDIT: I "think" that I got the right wgt_nbr. However, there seem to be multiple sections for the uv and face sections. I didn't pick the right face value. Here we go again. :(

Last edited:

veselaki

Sep 9, 2005
Yeah.. i installed the correct versions of Blender and Python and it worked very well! Now we only need those values, i would help but i havnt got any idea how hex editing works :(

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
Argh, after days of testing I simply can't get the right values for the heavy skaarj. :mad:

No worries, though. EvilEngine is putting the heavy skaarj in the next version of his skaarj pack. :D

EDIT: After digging through the Epic forums, I missed a certain topic that EE started. Apparently he can convert ANY model from Unreal 2 to UT3!

Last edited: