Buying an XBOX360, help plz :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
first off, sry if this is the wrong forum but i think it's pretty close :)

i'll probably buy a 360 next week but there are some things i need a little help with.

1) i want to minimize the risk of losing the console due to ring of death and been told to get a 360 that's using the falcon chip. how do i find out which one it's using without opening the package?

2) i don't have the money to buy a big new tv, so for now i'll have to use my 17'' lcd that i'm currently using for my pc. i know there are VGA adaptors but since hd resolutions are kind of widescreen resolutions the image just has to be adjusted to the native 1280x1024 of my lcd. what exactly happens there?

i'd really appreciate your help :)

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
thx, you helped me a lot already.
now, how about original xbox games like halo, halo 2, UC2 and the like - can i play those on my lcd as well or will older games cause problems because of their pretty limited resolution?

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I've fortunately have never had the RRoD, and I've had my 360 for 2 years.

Another piece of advice - make sure your system is well ventilated. Do NOT try to set it up in an confined area on your desk or entertainment stand. Give it plenty of space on all sides. I believe that heat is the number 1 foe of these systems.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
^ Poor/rushed engineering is the #1 cause, but keeping it well ventilated is sound advice.

*do not* buy one of those aftermarket cooling devices. They are known to cause more harm than good, and they will void your warranty.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
thanks. i'm actually way too worried about the box breaking down to not grant it plenty of room to 'breathe'. same thing with my pc and xbox.
i guess i'll just check some stores around here to find an hdmi 360 then :)

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
One of the causes is basically overheating. The problem is that all systems without the new "fix" will RROD at some point, even if it takes a good while.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
okay, got my 360 today. pretty cool thing. manufactured in march, 175W supply, HDMI - should be a falcon box ;)
but it still gets pretty hot after some time so i'm really curious how hot the old ones must have been :eek:

Last edited:

Mr. Noodle

Bringer of Deadly Farts
Jun 19, 2008
Ohio! In the USA!
Well I don't have a Falcon Chip and i got it in the first year of xbox 360s,guess I was too damn lucky.

I use the same thing for xbox 360,it isn't a problem.