1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Buying 2nd hand car

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by B, May 4, 2009.

1. B

B Bee

The € crisis struck and I got fired last month, today I had to bring back my company car. :(
    For the first time in 12 years I am without wheels. I have no bike and I have no clue on the pubic transport around here. (Never used it)
    And public transport is not an option anyway (it sucks!) and no way I'm sitting here in this crappy town without a car, most of my friends live more than 30km away.
    So I have to buy myself a car :)
    My budget is about € 1200,- max. What could I get and what are the things I should lookout for when buying 2nd hand?

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

As someone who's been a mechanic for 20 years the best advice I can give is to get a qualified mechanic to go over the car for you before you purchase.

That said, check the obvious. Are the tires worn in an odd way? Are there major leaks ? Do all the lights/features function? How are the brakes? Don't forget to check all the fluid levels and condition visually as well.

3. Wulff

Wulff Bola Gun fun anyone?

Neem er één met een verse APK.

4. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Make sure to test drive it, with the radio off. If the seller puts the radio on, he's probably trying to hide some kind of uncomfortable noises that it shouldn't be making.

5. _Zd_3s_

_Zd_3s_ Regristered User

"APK" is Dutch for the "General Periodic Inspection". The yearly, obligatory inspection for Dutch cars.

In general it's a good idea to buy a car that has just undergone this inspection. However, be cautious. Sometimes people hear during this inspection that this is the last time their car will pass without major costs and investments and that next year they'll have to pay a lot. For these people, it's a good idea to put their car on sale as quickly as possible, so they can easily get rid of it for a good price.

So if a car has just passed APK last week and now it's suddenly for sale.. It may be even more wise to have it checked by a trained mechanic.

6. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

1200 Euro gets you a nice shiny new bike ...
    I doubt you could find any decent car without faults for that kind of money, but then I spent quite a bit more on my new bike.

And don't say public transport sucks unless you've tried it.
    It's not that bad unless you live in the middle of nowhere.
    Veenendaal can't be *that* bad.

7. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

support the usa and buy a new pontiac :p

(they'll become classics you know, so a good investment)

8. B

B Bee

I've looked around a bit and found a Audi Coupe from '91 for 800 euro. Somewhere this week I'll go to make a testdrive. A friend who knows more about cars advised me to drive it for at least 30 mins, so it will get to normal operating temperature. He also told me to make a couple of sharp turns. If there is a ticking noise when turning something is wrong with the front suspension. (He will come with me when I go for the testdrive)

Jafo: After 12 years of having a car bringing me from door to door public transport will suck. Simply because it takes longer and there is no busstop in front of my door or at any of my destinations.
    I guess I'm spoiled :) And even though a nice bike is cool, there is no way I'm biking 30km to visit some friends.

Big-Al: I would love one, but with our gas prices I would hate it. So no not for now, maybe somewhere in the future as a 2nd car or hobby project :)

9. daloonie

daloonie sex boobs nude

Germans and Japanese usually are very dependable cars in all classes. My Toyota from '90 is running pretty darn well considering the age and the 265000km+ it's run.

But if you're buying second hand from an unknown buyer you're usually best off with paying for a checkup at a certified mechanic.

Also screw Pontiac, Holden/Vauxhall VXR ftw for "anonymous" muscles.

10. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

30 Km isn't that far ... (on a good bike ;))
    besides ... if they really are your friends then they can play taxi or come to your place instead :D

11. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

An Audi from 91 is asking for trouble imo - the age alone says stay well clear of me.
    Audi's generally are solid cars around 2-3 years old but parts for them are incredibly expensive here in the UK - not sure about where you are though - expect to have your wallet & your bank account emptied on a regular basis with an Audi.
    I'd go for the most common mid-range 5 - 6 year old car your country has to offer.
    I certainly wouldn't be looking at anything older than that personally.

Lruce

12. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Get yourself a honda!

Great little reliable cars and cheap to fix.

13. B

B Bee

So I got this instead:

[screenshot]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Citroen_ZX_front_20080118.jpg[/screenshot]
    Haven't made a pic yet so this is a similair one

It's a Citroen ZX 1.4 Allure :cool: :eek:

Mine is light blue metallic and it's the 3 door version. Build in 1995 and it has 198.604 km on the clock.
    There is some work on it, but most of it I can do myself. Today I fixed the rear right suspension and tomorrow I'm going to replace the front right suspension and put on some new brakepads.
    After fixing that it should be ok and I got a cheap car (Bought it for €500,-) that I can drive untill it dies :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  14. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

I hope if you've changed a spring or shock that you're going to do the other side too as they really should be changed in pairs.

15. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

Grats! Good luck with it. Hope it suits your needs. That's a pretty nice price. :)

I wouldn't touch a french car with a barge poll myself though. :S

16. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

My car was in the garage for a service over a bank holiday weekend a month or so back - took it in on a Friday and didn't get it back until Tuesday the following week and it was a nightmare.
    I'd rather be without booze for a week than have my car off the road for that length of time.
    I've had 2 Hondas in the past and they were good little runners and fairly dependable - pretty cheap too for anything over 5-6 years old.

Lruce